News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Will Schoen's second draft be different than his first?

Started by MightyGiants, April 11, 2023, 09:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

The Giants had two top 10 picks and took players who were projected as top 10.

After that, it was an entirely different story.

2nd round WonDale Robinson pick 43

3rd round Joshua Ezeudu pick 67

3rd round Cordale Flott pick 81

All those picks were higher where many in the draft punditry were projecting the players to go.

So will Schoen be surprising us with his day one and day two picks in terms of where his picks were projected to go?   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

It's clearly going to be much harder to be successful and a real test for him and his team.

But these are the areas we want the Giants to be picking in so hopefully he makes it work.

True Blue

This draft being different is a given considering the position as noted, but also with him and his staff actually being in place and prepared this time around.

Jolly Blue Giant

I'm sure we will be surprised when our picks are in. But this year should be different than last year because Schoen has a complete staff in which he trusts. Last year, it was bedlam. Trying to figure out what they had in the team they inherited. Inordinate amount of time spent hiring a coaching staff. Getting to know the scouts. New coaches getting acclimated to Daboll's scheme and, basically getting used to an entirely different environment. Throw in the fact that the Giants were in cap-hell and Schoen had to spend a lot of time trying to get it back under control. The month or two leading up to the draft was controlled chaos under an extreme time constraints

This year: Coaches are in place. They know the scheme. Schoen knows his scouts, including some hand-picked ones. No longer spending time reviewing tape on our own guys because Schoen and crew know what they have, and can spend that time going over prospects. Schoen has help in the form of Brandon Brown. No real time pressures and constraints. Continuity across the board with a steady hand at the helm

Yeah, I expect this year to be very different
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Bob In PA

When picking so far from the top, there are too many variables.

The good news, IMO, is that the lower we are, the more likely any QB worth taking in the first round will be gone.

Of course that's what we want. Each QB taken increases the odds someone we want and can really use will be there.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Painter

How can it not be? And so, you have answered your first question with yet another question and quite reasonably.

Cheers!

Jclayton92

I honestly think Schoen got to cute this past draft. There were so many good players when we picked with our 2nd and 2 3rds and he just went out of nowhere with the picks. Hopefully it was a learning experience but I think he left talent on the table for sure.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 11, 2023, 10:30:47 AMI honestly think Schoen got to cute this past draft. There were so many good players when we picked with our 2nd and 2 3rds and he just went out of nowhere with the picks. Hopefully it was a learning experience but I think he left talent on the table for sure.

At this point, I tend to think you're right.   None of the three guys I listed have produced to the level one would expect based on their draft position. 

It's possible one or more might come on strong this season, but that remains to be seen.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 11, 2023, 10:53:27 AMAt this point, I tend to think you're right.   None of the three guys I listed have produced to the level one would expect based on their draft position. 

It's possible one or more might come on strong this season, but that remains to be seen.
I went back and revisited the 2nd and 3rd round and the talent we could have had is staggering whether it was George Pickens, Barkleys replacement, tons of MLbs and Dlineman. I just didn't understand the trade downs either when we were picking at the top of the rounds.

DaveBrown74

It will clearly be different in many ways, which we all know.

It will be more interesting to me to see what, if anything, is not so different.

Last year Schoen seemed to focus on guys with high RAS scores and minimal to zero injury histories. There were enough picks that it seemed like more than a coincidence on those fronts. I'll be interested to see if that rule/guideline applies this year as strictly as it seemed to last year.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 11, 2023, 11:39:52 AMIt will clearly be different in many ways, which we all know.

It will be more interesting to me to see what, if anything, is not so different.

Last year Schoen seemed to focus on guys with high RAS scores and minimal to zero injury histories. There were enough picks that it seemed like more than a coincidence on those fronts. I'll be interested to see if that rule/guideline applies this year as strictly as it seemed to last year.

Schoen also seemed to like guys who were on the younger side
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 11, 2023, 11:46:41 AMSchoen also seemed to like guys who were on the younger side

Very true. Forgot that but that's a very good point.

Philosophers

I think he is going to move around like he did last year.  My guess would be back for more picks.  I have a gut feeling he trades back in round 1.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on April 11, 2023, 12:23:54 PMI think he is going to move around like he did last year.  My guess would be back for more picks.  I have a gut feeling he trades back in round 1.

I have pondered this today, and I agree this wouldn't be a huge surprise if it happened. 25 is kind of a tricky spot. You're sort of too late to get a truly premium, highly coveted player at a premium position, but there tends to be a lot of "very good players" still through like pick 40. So if some team that is several spots behind us covets a single player and Schoen doesn't mind moving say 5-8 spots down because he has a lot of guys in the same rough grade bucket, I could see doing that there.

That's not going to get you any sort of huge haul, but you might be able to get yourself another 3 or something. Which we could definitely use.

MightyGiants

@Philosophers and @DaveBrown74

I have been thinking about a trade-back as well.  I think a trade-down would make sense for NYG in many scenarios I have seen.  Of course, the one thing that goes with trading down is there needs to be a compelling reason to trade up.  To that end, I could see a team wanting to move up to grab QB Hooker, or maybe one of the TEs, Edge, or DTs. 

Many of the WRs that I see the Giants visiting with would look better after a trade-down.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE