News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Will Schoen's second draft be different than his first?

Started by MightyGiants, April 11, 2023, 09:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 11, 2023, 11:19:56 AMI went back and revisited the 2nd and 3rd round and the talent we could have had is staggering whether it was George Pickens, Barkleys replacement, tons of MLbs and Dlineman. I just didn't understand the trade downs either when we were picking at the top of the rounds.

We'd all be geniuses if we could draft knowing how it would turn out a year later. Everyone has 20:20 hindsight. If I had a nickel for every post I've read over the years of "coulda, woulda, shoulda" drafted this guy or that guy a year or more after the facts, I'd be rich. All of that was unknown last year, and we were plugging holes that absolutely had to be plugged. We had a gaping hole at RT, OGs, lacked edge rushers, MLBs, CBs, weapons for DJ, etc. Thankfully, our TE didn't lose an eye and only a few games. I don't think his draft class can be reasonably evaluated until the draftees have three years under their belt. We were hit with an unworldly amount of major injuries to half that draft class. Can't hang that on him as having a bad draft. That's more like just plain terrible luck.
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

GloryDays

It might be too early, but aside from Thibs, the picks last year do not look that good so far.. I am concerned about their ability to assess O line talent.
As far as trading back for more picks, I am generally for it, unless a great looking prospect at a position of need is right there... like Forbes or Flower or Kincaid ( as a big Receiver).
If Hooker is there at 25, a couple of teams at the top of the 2nd might really want to go up and get him, so there is a chance there.
If there are no remaining players at that spot that the Giants are interested in, they even might take Hooker and hold him for trade over night, possible?

Jclayton92

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 11, 2023, 12:50:27 PMWe'd all be geniuses if we could draft knowing how it would turn out a year later. Everyone has 20:20 hindsight. If I had a nickel for every post I've read over the years of "coulda, woulda, shoulda" drafted this guy or that guy a year or more after the facts, I'd be rich. All of that was unknown last year, and we were plugging holes that absolutely had to be plugged. We had a gaping hole at RT, OGs, lacked edge rushers, MLBs, CBs, weapons for DJ, etc. Thankfully, our TE didn't lose an eye and only a few games. I don't think his draft class can be reasonably evaluated until the draftees have three years under their belt. We were hit with an unworldly amount of major injuries to half that draft class. Can't hang that on him as having a bad draft. That's more like just plain terrible luck.
Even if they don't get injured his picks were significant reaches. The picks around Robinson were Kenneth walker, Nakobe Dean, the Clemson corner, and George Pickens.. Wan'Dale is out of place by comparison. Then the reaches for not only Ezeudu but Flott, and McFadden with other talent available was somewhat head scratching in the moment as it is now.

To pick one guy that we haven't really heard of between the 2nd and 5th round I get, but I study the draft like others immensely and even I was like what, who to some of the picks as they weren't plug and play players, and I think in the 2nd and 3rd you should get immediate starters not a slot wr, a developmental guard/tackle, and corner. Especially considering the holes we have currently, Schoen needs to come out swinging doubles at least this draft.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 11, 2023, 01:53:54 PMEven if they don't get injured his picks were significant reaches. The picks around Robinson were Kenneth walker, Nakobe Dean, the Clemson corner, and George Pickens.. Wan'Dale is out of place by comparison. Then the reaches for not only Ezeudu but Flott, and McFadden with other talent available was somewhat head scratching in the moment as it is now.

To pick one guy that we haven't really heard of between the 2nd and 5th round I get, but I study the draft like others immensely and even I was like what, who to some of the picks as they weren't plug and play players, and I think in the 2nd and 3rd you should get immediate starters not a slot wr, a developmental guard/tackle, and corner. Especially considering the holes we have currently, Schoen needs to come out swinging doubles at least this draft.

I will confess, I wasn't familiar with any of the three day-two picks, and that says something.  Plus many of my draft resources didn't cover them, which is unusual for day-two picks
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

I was familiar with Esezdo and Flott, but any mocks I saw had them being drafted in rounds 6 and 4 respectively at best

I never heard of Wandale or McKethan prior to the draft

MightyGiants

Quote from: True Blue on April 11, 2023, 02:31:32 PMI was familiar with Esezdo and Flott, but any mocks I saw had them being drafted in rounds 6 and 4 respectively at best

I never heard of Wandale or McKethan prior to the draft

I believe I saw both Flott and Wandale during my draft prep but I had sort of written off both as they really didn't fit the usual size profiles.  Plus Flott was projected to play slot (which didn't seem to be as big a need as boundary CB) and WanDale was a slot and at the time the Giants had Shepard and Toney.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

sooners56

I sure hope so! I was less than impressed with the first draft. With two top ten picks, he doesn't get credit for Thibs and Neal as those were easy picks for anyone. The 2nd rd pick was terrible and the constant trading down for a team that has bodies but lacks talent was questionable. Why not trade up and get some better players 🤷🏼�♂️
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

todge

After the Draft - Schoen admitted they "reached a bit" for Robinson. Now that tells me this regime has their eyes on certain players as opposed to DG who stuck like glue to their Draft Board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brownelvis54

Quote from: Philosophers on April 11, 2023, 12:23:54 PMI think he is going to move around like he did last year.  My guess would be back for more picks.  I have a gut feeling he trades back in round 1.

Me too. And I would be happy as hell. Lots of guys I like will be gone when we pick, and many others I like would be a reach at 25. Hopefully Michael Mayer or Bijan Robinson fall to 25 and we can trade with a team that really wants one of these guys. I would love multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks
The KING is in the building

nb587

Don't remember where I heard this but there was something to the effect that Schoen made a comment that he now has a better understanding of the type of a player that Wink wants on defense.  And there was an inference that neither BElton or McFadden fit the bill.  To some extent, that makes sense because Belton lost time to Pinnock pretty early in the season and McFadden only saw the field when they soured on weak LBs ahead of him. 

I agree with the comment that Schoen went with younger players, possibly because he expected last year to be a rebuilding year.  I don't agree with the notion that picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds were disappointing mainly because of their injuries.  They could have been productive, who knows? 

I'm thinking trade down in the 1st round and trade up in the 2nd and/or 3rd rounds.  10 picks plus the injured draftees from last year is too many.  I'd rather see fewer but more premium.