News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Are their any prospects you DON'T want the Giants to draft at 25?

Started by MightyGiants, April 11, 2023, 01:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 11, 2023, 06:29:42 PMInteresting that you have Michael Wilson on your list. I have never seen a WR with his talent fly so far under the radar and get virtually no press. There are guys who will be 7th round picks and UDFAs who get more press than this guy. He's 6'2" and a pure X receiver with game to him. He's a baller!

Jolly: I put him first intentionally.

We often forget that this is a national draft... which includes teams from the west coast. LOL

Most sportswriters we all read (primarily) often overdo coverage of the SEC, Big Ten and east-coast schools.

For example, there was precious little about Bellinger last year, but he's an excellent player and well-rounded player.

And hopefully he will continue to be so as a Giant for a long long time.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on April 11, 2023, 09:14:15 PMAidan Huthinson was runner up Rookie of the Year and had 9.5 sacks his rookie year in 2022.

Rashan Gary had 9.5 sacks in 2021 and had 6 sacks before he was lost to an ACL ligament tear.  Packers have him as leader of their D.

Pretty good DL players from Michigan if you ask me.

DJ Turner - in 2022, QBs completed 39.3% of their passes against him.  That is really low.  He was consistent all season and tackles well and has explosive movements.  Not sure how you can be down on him.
Add Frank Clark and Brandon Graham to that list for Michigan Dline players. When I was speaking on Michigan Dlineman, I was more referring to almost all of them not living up to were they were drafted. Most people thought Gary should have been a top 5 to 10 draft pick when he slipped to 12 and while he did have the 9.5 his other 3 years were 2, 5, and 6 for basically a top 10 pick. Kwity Paye the Michigan many thought we'd draft the year we got Toney and Ojulari but we didnt. I'm not saying don't draft them but I'm just weary of Michigan Dlineman as a lot of them get taken early bit end up producing below their draft status Hutchinson being an exception to the rule.

As far as DJ Turner we really only have this past season for tape and that scares me, I tend to want to avoid one year wonders. The big thing with Turner for me is not the height and weight as it isn't an issue with me with Forbes either but Turners arm length is the huge question mark for me along with his wing span which both were in the 30th percentile of draftable corners the past several years. Arm length is really important in this instance when you compound his size with the arms whereas Forbes might be small also but his hand size and wing span are in the 70th percentile. So while Turner looks really smooth in man and has a ton of qualities I do like, like track and field in high school, great in Man and Zone etc his lack of ball production int and pass defensed, with the arm length. He's basically a Slimmer, faster Darnay Holmes. Holmes had the arm length Turner has, maybe a smidge shorter and it is imo killed his development. So yeah Turner has some nice things on tape but I would be disappointed with the Pick, plus most mock draft services and grading places have him in the 50s ranking wise. I think his max ceiling he might be a good but not great number 2 and I just think we could do better at number 25.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 11, 2023, 06:29:42 PMInteresting that you have Michael Wilson on your list. I have never seen a WR with his talent fly so far under the radar and get virtually no press. There are guys who will be 7th round picks and UDFAs who get more press than this guy. He's 6'2" and a pure X receiver with game to him. He's a baller!

Well, I watched all the practices and final game of the Reese's Senior Bowl, and he was a one-man wrecking crew - going long, cut backs, shedding CBs, etc. He did it all. Caught everything thrown his direction and made CBs look silly trying to cover him. He could have easily been the MVP of the Senior Bowl

How is it that his name is virtually unknown amongst the internet sleuths and draftnicks. It isn't much better amongst the paid talking heads on TV...well, except when they were covering the Senior Bowl. He's so underrated that I think he will be available in the third round, and he has first round talent IMHO. I wouldn't be surprised if Schoen knows all about him because, although he's not a burner (4.56/40), he is a tremendous separator and goes down the sideline catching everything. PFF calls him, "a cantankerous run blocker" and "very good gunner on special teams". Regardless of his combine results and lack of top-end speed, he passed the eye test for me. Energetic, scrappy, and was the star of the WRs at the Senior Bowl. Big time sleeper pick
Its because he had two season ending injuries out of the 5 years he was in college and only had more than 400 yards receiving twice in 5 years. He's got crazy good ball skills, and while his releases need work he's very much raw and a development player assuming he can stay healthy. I also think the 4.58 40 he ran didn't help him despite the tape at the senior bowl and he'll be 24 before his rookie year ends.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 11, 2023, 10:28:49 PMAdd Frank Clark and Brandon Graham to that list for Michigan Dline players. When I was speaking on Michigan Dlineman, I was more referring to almost all of them not living up to were they were drafted. Most people thought Gary should have been a top 5 to 10 draft pick when he slipped to 12 and while he did have the 9.5 his other 3 years were 2, 5, and 6 for basically a top 10 pick. Kwity Paye the Michigan many thought we'd draft the year we got Toney and Ojulari but we didnt. I'm not saying don't draft them but I'm just weary of Michigan Dlineman as a lot of them get taken early bit end up producing below their draft status Hutchinson being an exception to the rule.

As far as DJ Turner we really only have this past season for tape and that scares me, I tend to want to avoid one year wonders. The big thing with Turner for me is not the height and weight as it isn't an issue with me with Forbes either but Turners arm length is the huge question mark for me along with his wing span which both were in the 30th percentile of draftable corners the past several years. Arm length is really important in this instance when you compound his size with the arms whereas Forbes might be small also but his hand size and wing span are in the 70th percentile. So while Turner looks really smooth in man and has a ton of qualities I do like, like track and field in high school, great in Man and Zone etc his lack of ball production int and pass defensed, with the arm length. He's basically a Slimmer, faster Darnay Holmes. Holmes had the arm length Turner has, maybe a smidge shorter and it is imo killed his development. So yeah Turner has some nice things on tape but I would be disappointed with the Pick, plus most mock draft services and grading places have him in the 50s ranking wise. I think his max ceiling he might be a good but not great number 2 and I just think we could do better at number 25.

With Rashan Gary you have to keep in mind that he went from playing strong side DE to outside LB for the Packers so he had to learn a completely new position.  His trajectory has only been upward.  He has now outplayed Josh Allen, most people's darling, whom everybody here wanted.

Kwity Paye suffered a major injury and  was lost for a chunk of the season.  I expect him being 100% will make him more productive.

DJ Turner's production has been 1 year as you noted.  I think he has more development to do but I think his ceiling is high.