News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The case for Dalton Kincaid; why pick a great pass-catching TE in the 1st?

Started by GloryDays, April 12, 2023, 10:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloryDays

Offenses are increasingly deploying two TE sets with pretty good rate of success. This includes Philadelphia, 49ers, Patriots...

I read a very good article recently about this.  In a nutshell:  " the two-tight end set counters the 3-4, it's also an excellent answer to the blitz.

Most tight ends will defeat a linebacker in single coverage and that's the main problem defenses have when the 2TE is deployed often.

They are challenged to cover tight ends running out of more daring alignments. Linebackers aren't fast enough to cover them and defensive backs aren't big enough.

If they don't release into pass routes, tight ends stay in to block and reduce the threat of a blitz. That's one of the main problems presented by the two-tight end offense.

It asks the defense the question, exactly what are those tight ends going to do once the ball is snapped?"

So now we have Waller and Bellinger on the roster, but why not add a weapon like Dalton Kincaid, if he somehow falls to us?

He has better hands and runs better routes than most of the highly regarded Receivers in this draft. He is tough, hard to cover with a huge wingspan. He will be a nightmare, specially in the redzone, lined up with Waller and even Belinger and another Receiver, let's say campbell, with Barkley as the single RB, who can run or be another target. The number of options that can be run with nice disguise is obviously many.

What a nightmare for any defense!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oR25rnY71o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhAUFwAlLZA

He is now at the top of my wish list.

MightyGiants

With Waller and Bellinger on the roster and so many needs, I would be shocked if the Giants draft a TE in round one.

Day three is a different story.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

sooners56

If Kincaid is anything like Travis Kelce, Mark Andrews, Kyle Pitts, etc then I am all for drafting him at 25.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

MightyGiants

Quote from: sooners56 on April 13, 2023, 09:23:01 AMIf Kincaid is anything like Travis Kelce, Mark Andrews, Kyle Pitts, etc then I am all for drafting him at 25.

My thought is the Giants would likely not have traded for Waller if they believed that Kincaid could be like the players you listed.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

GloryDays

I am looking at Kincaid as a big and strong WR who's as good as any of the Receivers, not as a traditional TE.
If you watch him play you will see a dynamic player who is fast, bold, strong with soft hands who runs routes nicely.

Jclayton92

We are missing starters all over the defense and at center. We have a top 5 TE and now that bellinger is #2 one of the better #2 TEs in the league... This would be a luxury pick, we aren't KC or Buffalo who can draft random guys because they have no needs. I would think Schoen was an idiot if he drafted a TE round 1 with all of our needs. Nevermind the fact that most mocks have Kincaid going in the top 10-15.

GloryDays

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 13, 2023, 11:40:19 AMWe are missing starters all over the defense and at center. We have a top 5 TE and now that bellinger is #2 one of the better #2 TEs in the league... This would be a luxury pick, we aren't KC or Buffalo who can draft random guys because they have no needs. I would think Schoen was an idiot if he drafted a TE round 1 with all of our needs. Nevermind the fact that most mocks have Kincaid going in the top 10-15.
Somehow I am not getting my point across.. are we not expected to take a WR like Flowers in the first, as a 30% min probability?

jgrangers2

All the top WR, CB, EDGE and DT would have to be off the board for me to even consider this. And even then, I'd probably look to trade back before drafting one.

DaveBrown74

I am also in the skeptical camp. I agree with the point that the Giants probably wouldn't have parted with a pick plus a 2023 financial commitment in the Waller trade if they loved one or more of the TEs in this draft to the point that they would take them 25th overall. That doesn't line up for me at all.

GloryDays

Any team that drafts him before Mayer, which is a big probability, is taking him purely on his Receiving not blocking.

jgrangers2

Quote from: GloryDays on April 13, 2023, 01:40:58 PMAny team that drafts him before Mayer, which is a big probability, is taking him purely on his Receiving not blocking.

I'd argue that no tight end gets drafted in the first round for their blocking skill. If you're getting drafted in the first round, you're a pass catcher first and a blocker second.

Philosophers

If we are going to draft a TE (big if now with Waller and Bellinger), I want Darnell Washington, a highly athletic (for his size) TE who blocks and catches balls.

I don't think Kincaid is or will be anywhere the TE that Washington is or will be.

expatriot

I dont think the WR's are all that great. Good ok but they can get better value, need, talent at other spots.

Jclayton92

Quote from: GloryDays on April 13, 2023, 12:00:17 PMSomehow I am not getting my point across.. are we not expected to take a WR like Flowers in the first, as a 30% min probability?
I just don't see a parallel between Flowers and Kincaid two different players at different positions.

B1GBLUE

I Think we have an incredibly solid 1-2 in waller/bellinger. i'd argue it might be the best in the league (if they play like they are capable of). we have many positions we have ZERO at. i just cant see it. nothing against kincaid, we just have MUCH bigger needs.