News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Thought on the OTA holdouts

Started by MightyGiants, April 13, 2023, 08:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

It was a bit frustrating after hearing Barkley wouldn't be attending the start of OTAs, and that Dexter Lawerence would be joining Barkley in "holding out." 

Having slept on it, here are my thoughts:

1) Barkley and Lawerence are both veterans who will not miss anything in OTAs as they are returning to the same systems.

2) With Jones (the team's leader) squeezing the Giants for every penny, it shouldn't be surprising that other players are following his lead.

3) As long as things don't get contentious, I don't think these sorts of actions should harm the team

In the end. Lawerence is under contract so while he may skip the voluntary activities, he has no option to miss the mandatory activities.

Barkley can technically hold out until sometime in November.   What sucks with the Barkley situation is that Barkley should really be blaming his agent who badly anticipated the RB market rather than the Giants who have been more than fair and generous (based on Barkley's market value).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

It reeks of selfishness and individualism. Be a team player and honor your commitment and show leadership. Otherwise get rid of OTAs all together and let the chips fall where they may. One guy makes a good amount of money because he was a smart negotiator and nowadays everyone else wants the same. Everyone gets a trophy syndrome.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on April 13, 2023, 09:49:54 AMIt reeks of selfishness and individualism. Be a team player and honor your commitment and show leadership. Otherwise get rid of OTAs all together and let the chips fall where they may. One guy makes a good amount of money because he was a smart negotiator and nowadays everyone else wants the same. Everyone gets a trophy syndrome.

I appreciate your point of view.  I am at a point where I try to separate the business of sports from the players.   A player's career can literally end on one play, so it's hard for me to begrudge these guys to get what they can.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

I don't believe Saquon signs that Tag. They will either negotiate successfully or the Giants will trade him.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

jgrangers2

I will never begrudge a football player for holding out. Most of them will get one chance at this kind of life changing deal. If Dexter Lawrence gets significantly injured this year without a long-term contract, he can kiss that kind of security goodbye. Players should absolutely use whatever leverage they have to get their big contracts before it's too late. With Saquon, he's technically not even under contract for 2023 as he hasn't signed the franchise tag.

For all the talk about "being team players", I'm willing to bet the vast majority of the players are 100% behind any player who opts to hold out like this. They all understand the business side of it.

Gman329

Relax.  It's the typical negotiation dance.  Happens with every team, every year.  This is much ado about nothing. 

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 13, 2023, 08:39:43 AMIt was a bit frustrating after hearing Barkley wouldn't be attending the start of OTAs, and that Dexter Lawerence would be joining Barkley in "holding out." 

Having slept on it, here are my thoughts:

1) Barkley and Lawerence are both veterans who will not miss anything in OTAs as they are returning to the same systems.

2) With Jones (the team's leader) squeezing the Giants for every penny, it shouldn't be surprising that other players are following his lead.

3) As long as things don't get contentious, I don't think these sorts of actions should harm the team

In the end. Lawerence is under contract so while he may skip the voluntary activities, he has no option to miss the mandatory activities.

Barkley can technically hold out until sometime in November.   What sucks with the Barkley situation is that Barkley should really be blaming his agent who badly anticipated the RB market rather than the Giants who have been more than fair and generous (based on Barkley's market value).

Very good post. I'm in agreement with basically everything here.

I know it's out of consensus and I fully respect the views of others, but I'm not overly bothered by any of this at this stage, nor am I surprised (in an extremely negative way). I think no more or no less of either of these men than I did before. That could potentially change in the future, but right now I'm not bothered at all. It's BAU in the NFL. It's a business at the end of the day, both for the teams and for the players.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 13, 2023, 11:50:21 AMthis is the sort of nonsense I didn't want to see.

Barkley retweeted this

https://twitter.com/MicahhParsons11/status/1646522364472201218

I agree that it was unwise/immature of Barkley to retweet this, but it is not the first time I have seen less than perfect judgment on social media by an otherwise well behaved/classy individual.

Ed Vette

The bottom line is that Barkley has no contract. If he ruptures his Achilles, he gets nothing. He's doing the right thing by not participating in any group activity. He should also not take any unnecessary risks in his personal life too. That means don't pull a JPP, a McKinney, or a Roethlisberger.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

files58

Lawrence will get his contract/$. He's one of the best and has been relatively UNINJURED. Saquon otoh has a serious injury history at a position with a shorter shelf life. He should take note of what the pukes did with Zeke. He's got $10MM sitting on the table PLUS his endorsements. Ok skip OTA's, but sign the damn thing.

GloryDays

As much as I hate the players holding up the team to pay them too much or else,, specially when the team took a chance on them and/or developed them, I see Saquan's case a little differently.
The RB position, his running style and his injury history caused him and his agent concerns that if during this year under the Tag, he gets hurt again, it would at the very least reduce his market value drastically; however, knowing that, he should have accepted the fair offer on the table. The team is also looking at the same possibility that if they give him too much guaranteed money, he is one injury away from being a big burden on the cap.

expatriot

babywhales

Barkley turned down 37.5-39 mill over 3 years thinking he was getting 15 per.

Its is looking like he made a mistake. 

So now he needs to dig in to try to salvage as much of the targeted pot of money he thought he would get. 

Not being under contract is just that, but he has very little leverage; sign and trade or sign tender. 

Dex skipping OTA is foolish, voluntary or not. He is under contract. Attending the OTA, even if he is not participating or limited.  He is leader and should be on site. Once OTA's are mandatory he will be fined for missing only to have the fine thrown out upon resigning. 

Teams pay out contracts for the injured and the sub standard play all the time, everyone gets their guaranteed money Once they play real well they want a new deal. It is self-serving and I get it but I will not defend it. After year 2 and again after year 3 he was not even a guarantee to be signed to a second contract. 
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE