News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Thought on the OTA holdouts

Started by MightyGiants, April 13, 2023, 08:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Painter

While we might assume that the agents for Barkley (Kim Miele) and Lawrence (?) for reasons of their own self-interest are either encouraging, or are quite content, that their clients will not risk participating in voluntary OTAs, their situations are not nearly the same.

Saquon Barkley has little or no leverage in negotiating a penny more than the Giants were willing to pay before they tagged him. He can refuse to sign the tag until as late as July 17 although that's not expected to happen. He and his agent appears to have miscalculated the market when they turned down the $12+ million deal he was offered prior to the signing of Jones to his new multiyear contract. Thus, this almost certainly will be his last with the Giants.

As so much more of whatever success the Giants may have this year, and in the near future, is now invested in DJ, Saquon can be thought to contribute that much less. However, we may need to look to the Draft and OC/IOL additions to feel confident of that.

The situation with Dexter Lawrence is all about sooner rather than later and whether it will cost $20 million or as much as much $25 million per to get it done before he becomes free in 2024.

In summing it up, are we surprised that RB has not just a much lower tag value than DL (DE/DT) but the lowest of any other position on the roster?

Cheers!

MightyGiants

Quote from: PSUBeirut on April 13, 2023, 07:28:21 PMThat sounded like a lot of made up garbage.  Clickbait.

As I said in DB's thread with the entire episode, Mike's claims that players resent DJ and what he was paid do not track with the fact that 15 of them (including Barkley) gave up their free time to train with him.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

I hate this notion that it is disloyal, or a guy is not a team player, simply because he acts in his own best interest in a game where his career can be over in a moment.  Nobody acts that way in their own personal life.  This is their business, they are players not fans.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 13, 2023, 08:20:39 PMI hate this notion that it is disloyal, or a guy is not a team player, simply because he acts in his own best interest in a game where his career can be over in a moment.  Nobody acts that way in their own personal life.  This is their business, they are players not fans.

It's sort of funny how almost every fan holds Eli Manning in high regard (and rightfully so). Yet, they fail to appreciate that every veteran QB contract he signed made him the highest-paid QB in the league (when Eli retired, he retired as the highest-paid NFL player in history). 

As long as the player isn't doing anything to disrupt or distract the team in their effort to get paid, I don't begrudge any of the players.   It's sort of funny; fans will get angry at the players but never think twice of the profits the owners are reaping (often at the cost of the fan's enjoyment) massive profits.   Dan Snyder bought Washington Redskins for $800 million in 1999 and will now sell them for $6 BILLION.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

PSUBeirut

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 14, 2023, 08:34:45 AMIt's sort of funny how almost every fan holds Eli Manning in high regard (and rightfully so). Yet, they fail to appreciate that every veteran QB contract he signed made him the highest-paid QB in the league (when Eli retired, he retired as the highest-paid NFL player in history). 

As long as the player isn't doing anything to disrupt or distract the team in their effort to get paid, I don't begrudge any of the players.   It's sort of funny; fans will get angry at the players but never think twice of the profits the owners are reaping (often at the cost of the fan's enjoyment) massive profits.   Dan Snyder bought Washington Redskins for $800 million in 1999 and will now sell them for $6 BILLION.

Yep, and fans so quickly forget (IMO rightfully so) all the drama around Michael Strahan as well.  I could not agree more with AZ's statement.  These are men playing a highly dangerous game for our entertainment- they have futures to consider, families to support, and all that could end on a single play whether in a game or in practice.  Then us fans get to call them "injury prone", as if it's their fault. 

And here's the other thing- the fans might get all high and mighty with their "you sign the contract, so you play for that contract" (which shows a CLEAR misunderstanding of modern NFL contracts)- but I guarantee you the players GET IT.  They understand why their teammates need to extract as much $$ as possible in their playing careers.  There are zero issues player to player when one gets a larger contract- in fact, they CELEBRATE for their friends and teammates when this happens. 

The NFL is a huge, and I mean HUGE, moneymaking business.  The players are the ones who SHOULD be getting paid well.  They literally lay their life on the line for such an incredibly lucrative sport.