News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - Jeffery Simmons Signs Extension

Started by uconnjack8, April 13, 2023, 06:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

Posting this because I think Dexter Lawrence will likely get similar money.

https://overthecap.com/player/jeffery-simmons/7810

DaveBrown74

Thanks for highlighting. I agree that Lawrence will get similar money.

I have been personally going with the working viewpoint that the combined AAV of Thomas and Lawrence will be about $50mm, give or take. Both are "set the market" caliber players.

I think it would be a catastrophic mistake to let either of them walk. I hope Schoen feels the same way and had that in mind when he was making decisions around Jones and Barkley.

EDjohnst1981

If Dex signs a deal in the next few months, does that replace the 5th year option of just over 10ish, or does the new deal get tacked on the expiration of the Option?

Whichever way you slice it, the Giants will get this sorted. You don't pick up an option on a young stud and let him walk.

MightyGiants

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on April 13, 2023, 06:55:57 PMIf Dex signs a deal in the next few months, does that replace the 5th year option of just over 10ish, or does the new deal get tacked on the expiration of the Option?

Whichever way you slice it, the Giants will get this sorted. You don't pick up an option on a young stud and let him walk.

The new deals replace the 5th year option
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

You would think this deal should help speed up negotiations with Dex
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 13, 2023, 06:58:16 PMYou would think this deal should help speed up negotiations with Dex
I think schoens deals with both AT and Dex Will happen this next offseason. As much as I hate the idea i think schoen will count 2024 as an all in assuming this season isn't a disaster and will want those first year cap hits for 2024.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on April 13, 2023, 06:55:57 PMIf Dex signs a deal in the next few months, does that replace the 5th year option of just over 10ish, or does the new deal get tacked on the expiration of the Option?

And until they do get it sorted it is perfectly reasonable for Dex to refuse to risk that money by playing before it IS sorted, IMO.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll