News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- D.J. and this team looked absolutely lethal tonight -

Started by sxdxca38, August 18, 2023, 10:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 19, 2023, 08:31:52 AMFair enough, but literally everyone was out there. I don't think it's a big deal or anything, but it was slightly odd to see a healthy starter not play at all last night.

I guess of all positions RB is arguably the most muscle-memory dependent, so not playing in the preseason isn't that big of a deal.

Plus, I think they put Barkley's snaps to good use assessing the other RBs.  I think RB is one of the unsettled positions in terms of who stays and who goes.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

I thought Jones looked good and took what was in front of him. I liked the early chemistry with Waller, if both can stay healthy it gives them great options moving forward.

I thought Thibs looked alive and was really busy.

As alluded to above, it wasn't that challenging for the starters (and the Panthers will be bad this season).

But they got out the game with no injuries, so that's a massive boon.

Onwards and upwards to the Jets.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 19, 2023, 07:22:23 AMI thought Jones looked sharp. His mechanics looked good, he displayed some arm strength, and his throws were on target. That said, I wouldn't call that the most challenging of outings. He faced little pressure, and guys were open. That's not a knock, because he did look good, but it will be more challenging than this in the Dallas game, to say the very least.

Good teams have to beat bad teams soundly.

Carolina will most likely be a bad team this year.

So it showed what it should have showed.

The BIG TEST IS WEEK 1.

I think on Offense they Giants MAY BE ABLE TO  match the Girls and Eagles equally on offensive talent and power from what we saw.  To many weapons to cover and that is without SB.

Time will tell!

Ed Vette

The Carolina Pass Defense is not a good team to judge the Giants Offense. I was disappointed that the first team didn't play the entire first quarter. I was happy to see Neal back and getting a lot of work in. As reported he's clearly a better version than last year. I was not happy with the second team tackles again.

All the QB's had a good night and spread the ball around to multiple receivers. The Run Game however was again putrid with 31 yards in 16 attempts outside of the QB Scrambles. So was the Run Defense. I'm concerned that there hasn't been enough focus on the Run Game in practice or in the games. I understand that they are inserting a new passing playbook and they need to evaluate the Receivers but I sure hope they work it out.

I thought Owens, Okereke, and Beavers did well with the time they had. The Pass Defense and Pass Rush looked good. Ximinez was shut out playing against even the Panther's third team. What a shame he never reached his potential.

It was alarming that the Giants were shut out in the second half but the Defense held up nicely in the end and secured a win. They need to clean up the neutral zone penalties which are ridiculous and they need to do a much better job on third down conversions.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Trench

The fact the Giants just resigned Ximines leads me to believe he will be making the team unfortunately

zephirus

I hope Batkley is up to the task of salting some games away with his legs.  If the Giants can perform like that they'll need him to clock kill towards end of games, God willing.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Trench on August 19, 2023, 08:49:02 AMThe fact the Giants just resigned Ximines leads me to believe he will be making the team unfortunately

Fox out played him.  I think X is on bubble and if he initially makes the team, he may lose that spot if someone with upside gets cut by another team in a hope to sneak through waivers.  His level of play is easily replaceable

Ed Vette

Quote from: Trench on August 19, 2023, 08:49:02 AMThe fact the Giants just resigned Ximines leads me to believe he will be making the team unfortunately
He's just a 100K dead cap hit on a cut and hopefully some other team picks him up. There are players like Fox, Bower and Baldy that need to be looked at for what they bring to the table. I'll take Fox over him at this point.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Trench

Quote from: Ed Vette on August 19, 2023, 08:55:07 AMHe's just a 100K dead cap hit on a cut and hopefully some other team picks him up. There are players like Fox, Bower and Baldy that need to be looked at for what they bring to the table. I'll take Fox over him at this point.

Slugs, Ed - very good points. Thank you

Ed Vette

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on August 19, 2023, 08:54:46 AMFox out played him.  I think X is on bubble and if he initially makes the team, he may lose that spot if someone with upside gets cut by another team in a hope to sneak through waivers.  His level of play is easily replaceable
Are you hacking me or did you just learn how to read minds, Paul. 😏
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

GMenRF

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 19, 2023, 08:20:09 AMConsider that the Giants were moving the ball at will without Saquon Barkley.  Imagine this offense when defenses not only need to stop the new and improved passing attack but still need to figure out how to stop Barkley.

That and DJs legs.  Now that we have good personnel plus the way Dabes/Kafka scheme guys open it's going to be fun to watch.

Like what Bobby from Talkin Giants points out, when we are at full strength how do defenses play man coverage against us.  The moment DBs turn their back on DJ he is a threat to run and pick up easy yards.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Ed Vette on August 19, 2023, 08:56:24 AMAre you hacking me or did you just learn how to read minds, Paul. 😏

Ed

Great minds think alike my friend! Lol

4 Aces

One other point: the Giants made things look like Candy Land without Barkley on the field.

As we've heard from pretty much everyone who's chimed in (Micah Parsons and Bobby Okereke, for example) teams are uber-focused on Barkley when they're defending the Giants. As Parsons said - "the game plan is don't give him an inch".

The Giants are going to rip your heart out with Play action. They will send their speed guys deep and work Waller intermediate. Someone will be open. When you finally throw up the white flag and start playing pass, Barkley's going to run wild.

This is what we had during the '05-'11 run when we could beat anyone. A run/pass offense with a stud QB that could attack all areas of the field. Buckle up!

sxdxca38

Quote from: 4 Aces on August 19, 2023, 09:05:19 AMOne other point: the Giants made things look like Candy Land without Barkley on the field.

As we've heard from pretty much everyone who's chimed in (Micah Parsons and Bobby Okereke, for example) teams are uber-focused on Barkley when they're defending the Giants. As Parsons said - "the game plan is don't give him an inch".

The Giants are going to rip your heart out with Play action. They will send their speed guys deep and work Waller intermediate. Someone will be open. When you finally throw up the white flag and start playing pass, Barkley's going to run wild.

This is what we had during the '05-'11 run when we could beat anyone. A run/pass offense with a stud QB that could attack all areas of the field. Buckle up!

In this I agree, also with D.J. ascending at just the right time, people will finally say the Giants have their franchise QB.

kartanoman

Quote from: Ed Vette on August 19, 2023, 08:45:49 AMThe Carolina Pass Defense is not a good team to judge the Giants Offense. I was disappointed that the first team didn't play the entire first quarter. I was happy to see Neal back and getting a lot of work in. As reported he's clearly a better version than last year. I was not happy with the second team tackles again.

All the QB's had a good night and spread the ball around to multiple receivers. The Run Game however was again putrid with 31 yards in 16 attempts outside of the QB Scrambles. So was the Run Defense. I'm concerned that there hasn't been enough focus on the Run Game in practice or in the games. I understand that they are inserting a new passing playbook and they need to evaluate the Receivers but I sure hope they work it out.

I thought Owens, Okereke, and Beavers did well with the time they had. The Pass Defense and Pass Rush looked good. Ximinez was shut out playing against even the Panther's third team. What a shame he never reached his potential.

It was alarming that the Giants were shut out in the second half but the Defense held up nicely in the end and secured a win. They need to clean up the neutral zone penalties which are ridiculous and they need to do a much better job on third down conversions.

I broke normal protocol and caught a piece of the game last night.

The Carolina defense looked either over matched or were doing other things but certainly going head to head was barely one of them.

Pit what we watched last night against Dallas, San Francisco or Philadelphia first, please, before describing it as "lethal." Different, encouraging, improved from last week, those adjectives I would most certainly tend to describe the overall progress of the 2023 Giants.

Finally, it might be just me, but I just loved the "ny" logo at the 50 yard line. That just completed the view for me and was something lacking for a long time.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)