News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT: NY Rangers 2023 - 2024 Season

Started by Jaime, August 25, 2023, 12:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

babywhales

Quote from: kartanoman on December 13, 2023, 07:57:01 AM1. Early goals given up. Last night was the third or fourth time Igor has given up a goal early in the game. You just can't do that and start handicapped. Against a contender like Toronto, who will bury you, as they did so well last night, you have to stay focused.

Peace!
Mentally not there.

Needing time to warm up, early goals, soft goals, glove side misses with clear site lines are all signs of mentally not being in the moment. 

Unfortunately, the fix is to grind through it.  Could we see Igor get the lighter match ups to get in a rhythm?
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

kartanoman

Quote from: babywhales on December 13, 2023, 08:44:41 AMMentally not there.

Needing time to warm up, early goals, soft goals, glove side misses with clear site lines are all signs of mentally not being in the moment.

Unfortunately, the fix is to grind through it.  Could we see Igor get the lighter match ups to get in a rhythm?

Quickie knows Anaheim better than the rest of the Rangers. Play him and you at least have a chance to break that ridiculous losing streak against them. Who was in goal in the win against Boston last time? So, are we saying it's time to pull Igor back and, to your point, give him the "more favorable" match-ups? The Rangers are playing a lot of games in a short period after having early season stretches where they've had several days off. Do you "blood" Igor until he works through his funk? It is important to keep pace in the division, less so in the conference and NHL, but this is a marathon and you want to be playing your best hockey in March and April. Averaging 8-2 over 10 games the first quarter of the season is unsustainable and we're seeing that play out now with the Rangers, Bruins, Stars and earlier the Knights who have rebounded. Whether Laviolette decides to platoon the goalies, as he did earlier in the season, or give Igor the chance to break through, at the risk of losing a few games, is something to keep an eye and an ear out for. But we absolutely must see Quickie on Thursday since he knows the Western Conference teams like the back of his hand.

Lot of Rangers fans commenting in the online New York Post that they're showing their true colors - a bunch of softies replaying season 2022-23. I sure hope that's not the case!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Messiah717

I think some regression was to be expected.  They had an amazing start but there's still a long way to go. 

Gmo11

Maybe I'm making this up in my head but does it seem to anybody else that disproportionately with this team or rather with Igor in particular that once a puck gets by him more often than not another one is coming within the next 3 mins?  Even if the first one wasn't his fault.  I just get this pit in my stomach after a shot goes in where I'm like crap here comes another.  And I could be totally wrong but so often I see a team score, I see Igor sad, and can't help but brace on the next shot until I see him actually make the save.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Gmo11 on December 13, 2023, 11:10:55 AMMaybe I'm making this up in my head but does it seem to anybody else that disproportionately with this team or rather with Igor in particular that once a puck gets by him more often than not another one is coming within the next 3 mins?  Even if the first one wasn't his fault.  I just get this pit in my stomach after a shot goes in where I'm like crap here comes another.  And I could be totally wrong but so often I see a team score, I see Igor sad, and can't help but brace on the next shot until I see him actually make the save.

I get that feeling too - I just don't have confidence in him right now.

With that said, we have all seen him play at a very high level before. For an entire season in fact, and for periods of time before that too. In my personal opinion he is very talented but a bit of a head case who is prone to ruts and other issues. I guess he is in a bad one now and needs to somehow get through it.

I did say a few weeks ago (multiple times I think) that I didn't want to get too out over my skis with their great start, and number one in the power rankings, and all that stuff. We were like 20-25% through the regular season at that point, and then the postseason is basically an entirely different sport. So the same way I didn't want to get overly euphoric about our start, I also don't want to get too negative about our current play. When you watch games like last night's, it's hard not to be very negative, but it's still the same group of players and coach who were dominating people earlier just a couple weeks before, including teams like the Bruins.

So I'm just going to try to remain circumspect overall. Really, all that matters is that we play well enough to make the playoffs and then also that we're healthy and playing well going into the playoffs. We all love hockey and love watching the games, but the regular season just isn't that important at the end of the day. We already know this group is good enough to be good to very good in the regular season and make the playoffs. The question will be whether guys like Panarin and others (although he is the biggest question mark) can actually step up and justify their huge contracts by producing in postseason play.

Winning the President's Trophy would be awesome, don't get me wrong. But if the last game we play in the postseason is a loss, we're going to go into summer disappointed no matter what our regular season record was.

Messiah717

Igor hasn't found his game since coming back from the injury.  We would all agree that he needs to because Quick isn't going undefeated this season.  He has been solid so far but regression hits everyone.  That said if a 50/50 split is best for the team than go for it.

My other concern is the defense is painfully inconsistent.  Against the Kings they were great and hitting people.  Last night they were standing around letting Matthews and Marner do anything they wanted. 

kartanoman

If anyone here is concerned about Igor, neither Laviolette nor Jonathan Quick are, according to this article:

Rangers aren't panicking over Igor Shesterkin's alarming play

As for more time for Quickie, the point was made that there are a couple of back-to-backs coming up where the two will likely alternate. The rest, I guess we'll wait and see but the coach did call out the defense to play better and not put themselves in the position they have for 15 goals against with Igor in goal.

The Ducks beat them at the Garden last year in inexcusable fashion; will they do it again? If Quickie starts, I think the Rangers take care of business. We can discuss who starts in goal at Boston after tonight.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

kartanoman

You put Quickie in goal and the Rangers turned into Jeckle. The power play comes alive with two scores, Kreider scoring two goals, Z-man extends his point streak to 11 of 12 games, and the 6 foot 8 inch rookie goals with three seconds left in the game.

5-1 win over the Ducks was much needed. Now let's see Igor bounce back tomorrow night in Boston!

Peace!

kartanoman

Oh baby!!! Rangers topple Bruins in OT 2-1!!!

What a great defensive battle between the two top teams in the east! Boston scoring first and then a stalemate for most of the game.

The game got scrappy midway with Trouba dropping the gloves, Boston's Pastrňák blindsiding Lindgren into the boards, drawing blood. A five minute major, and a game misconduct later, you were kind of hoping it would give the Rangers an edge, but it took a while before it eventually did because both teams played excellent on defense and both goalies were outstanding.

Yes, Igor picked the perfect game to bounce back and have what was easily the best game of this early season. His defense was really magnificent tonight, though, in keeping the lanes clear in front of him as well as cover Boston's forwards.

Trocheck shows up as the hero with the game tying goal on the power play about 2/3 of the way into the 3rd period. But give the Z-man props for setting him up with the beautiful give and go which was an amazing play.

The OT period was interesting in that the Rangers had wore down the Bruins in the third period and played keep-away in the OT to a chorus of boos from the crowd. Then, in the blink of an eye, bam, bam, pass to Trocheck, shoot, score, game over!

This is a game they don't win last year, plain and simple. Boston had a lot of penalties in this game and the one that resulted in the Trocheck goal was a little bit questionable. Biston's head coach was not a happy camper on the sideline tonight but his team had several undisciplined plays which put their team in short-handed situations often.

Just a great quality win on the road to end what has been a tough week for them. Now they need to get ready to go north and make amends to put Toronto in their place.

Peace!

P.S. Welcome back, Igor!

kartanoman

For those of you who didn't watch the game, I'll just say this much about their game tonight at Toronto. After getting hammered by this team at the Garden a short time ago, the Rangers learned their lesson and corrected all their mistakes.

A 5-2 triumph was set up by the two elements we have called into question: 1. Rangers' defense and 2. Igor in goal. Tonight, both set the tone for a huge win.

Two power play goals were Maple Leaf killers and an empty netter goal was icing on the cake.

Back to back quality wins in the Eastern Conference will go a long way to rebuilding Igor's confidence as the Rangers get ready for the meat and potatoes of their schedule.

Peace!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kartanoman on December 19, 2023, 11:24:29 PMFor those of you who didn't watch the game, I'll just say this much about their game tonight at Toronto. After getting hammered by this team at the Garden a short time ago, the Rangers learned their lesson and corrected all their mistakes.

A 5-2 triumph was set up by the two elements we have called into question: 1. Rangers' defense and 2. Igor in goal. Tonight, both set the tone for a huge win.

Two power play goals were Maple Leaf killers and an empty netter goal was icing on the cake.

Back to back quality wins in the Eastern Conference will go a long way to rebuilding Igor's confidence as the Rangers get ready for the meat and potatoes of their schedule.

Peace!

Great wrap-up Kart. Very helpful as I wasn't able to watch last night. I caught the last 5 minutes and saw the empty netter, but that was it.

This was a great win for a few reasons:

(1) Back to back road wins and now three straight wins and four of the last five. I think it's reasonable to say that after a short term period of looking a bit shaky, this team has its mojo back.

(2) This was a big revenge spot. The Leafs had their way with us in MSG last week, so it was important to send a message back to them that we're not their btch that they can just push around anytime they want.

(3) This is probably the most important for me. Two very strong games back to back for Shesty, both on the road, and both against potent teams. I personally think this is a big deal because I feel like it hadn't happened yet this year prior to last night. Quickie has obviously been great for us overall, and having him is huge if Shesty gets hurt or goes back into a period where he's struggling, but if we're going to contend for a Cup this year, I feel like we need Shesty to be at the top of his game. The playoffs are still a very long way away, but it's good to see him exhibiting some signs of maybe coming out of his funk. Let's see if that continues.

Looks like the power play continues to be potent, and I also see that we're continuing to win face-offs. I know we have debated the importance of face-offs in this thread before, and I get the argument that they're overrated, but if nothing else I think they make a major difference if you're winning them in special teams situations. If you're about to start a PP and you have a face-off deep in the offensive zone, a face-off win versus a face-off loss is like a 20 second swing of that valuable time. That definitely matters. And in plenty of power plays you can have more than one face-off.

I think it's also reasonable to say Vinny Tro is having a career year, which is great to see. Considering that he was effectively a replacement (and intended upgrade) for Stromer, I'd say after being kind of middle of the road last year he has more than delivered this year.

babywhales

I was curious to see how this team under a new coach would respond to a slight downward spiral,  Igor as well.

I have been fortunate enough to finally see some games again, Boston and the Leafs and what a solid two games they were. The boys in blue have bounced back and doing it on Shesty's back makes it even nicer.

Last night the Rangers really set the tone in the first, outhitting 13 or so to 5ish and outshooting the Leafs 11-5.  Schenieder really delivered some nice shots int he first.  The energy and the play on every inch of the ice was everything you could ask for.  Just such an enjoyable brand of hockey to watch IMO.  Faceoffs, ill look up stats sooner or later but the Rangers win so many faceoffs this year and last night is no different. Love he fact the Rangers are an offensive threat at even strength, as well as, the power play.  BTW no penalty's on the Rangers last night, impressive.

Mathews two goals were nothing short of beautiful, the flow, set up and shots were top notch.  Shesty can only tip his hat on those, its unfortunate but nothing to be ashamed of by Shesty. BTW - Jones looked awesome in the pipes for the Leafs and those first 3 goals were some of the crappiest luck a guy could have. The Rangers got three deflections of off the leaf players and the puck luck was the Ranger's last night. 

Igor saving 31 of 33 against the offensive power of Toronto was excellent.  How many big time shots did he save through some tuff, tuff screens?  Too many to count.  The movement in the crease was quick and flawless, pipe to pipe to the top of the crease getting big, the guy was dialed in. 

Knoblauch and the Oilers are next

Got the boys new Rangers Jerseys for Christmas and headed to the Blackhawks game in Feb to see the Blue shirts and Bedard.

BTW- Proud dad moment, my boy was promoted to 2nd line for the upcoming game vs their biggest rival and team he school choiced away from, not bad for a 122# 14 year old freshman.  Big game Thursday night in our neck of the woods.
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

coggs

Lose 3 out of 4, with all 3 losses by 4 goals.  Bounce back with 3 wins in a row. Now,I am going to the next 3 games. Usually keep friday nights to go with my brother, saturday nights with the wife.  Then, the Caps game bringing my daughter.  Just the way the schedule worked out this year. 

As for last night, Igor played better.  Even the 2 goals he surrendered are correctable.  On both, he is on his knees before the shot is released.  Needs to be a teeny tiny bit more patient on that.  Best part of last night?  NO PENALTIES!

babywhales

FYI
Promoted to 2nd line, my boy rose to the challenge and played great !

Played physical and aggressive all night, some real smart plays.

The highlight of the night was scoring the game winner to get his first high school Varsity goal vs their biggest rival .

Stepped up in a packed house vs their biggest rival

It was awesome

kartanoman

Quote from: babywhales on December 22, 2023, 07:08:49 AMFYI
Promoted to 2nd line, my boy rose to the challenge and played great !

Played physical and aggressive all night, some real smart plays.

The highlight of the night was scoring the game winner to get his first high school Varsity goal vs their biggest rival .

Stepped up in a packed house vs their biggest rival

It was awesome

This is great stuff!!! Congratulations and you have every right to be a proud dad!

Please gave your son spread some of that magic on the Rangers tonight!

Peace!