News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT: NY Rangers 2023 - 2024 Season

Started by Jaime, August 25, 2023, 12:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 14, 2024, 06:43:01 AMThe way I look at it is if we can't beat our first round opponent (a 7 or 8 seed) with home ice advantage, then something is wrong and we weren't going anywhere in the first place. So I'm not going to get too stressed about which team it is.

As should be the case.

In unrelated playoff-impacting hockey, a sad ending to a team which has put together a nice run to close out their season. I, for one, am disappointed and sad to see them leave town:

Sources - Coyotes players told team is relocating to Utah

Hockey has had nearly three decades to take root here and it simply hasn't been successful. The team, the head coach and players deserve far better than what they've been given and, so, it was the right decision for them to go to a place where they will be welcomed and have a chance to take root, grow and achieve far more than what they could under all the constraints here in Phoenix. Mullet Arena was a unique, surreal experience to take in an NHL game, with the Rangers, no less, but with a 4,600 seat capacity, the players have to sacrifice, the revenue stream isn't there and the owner came to grips and did the right thing by making it known his intention to sell.

For a lot of reasons I want the Rangers to go all the way, to say I was able to see them up close and personal in Phoenix would be perhaps the most important of all.

To the Coyotes, I wish them well in SLC under their new team name and uniform and may their young kids develop to challenge and dominate the west one day. In a bit of irony, they took down the Edmonton Oilers 3-2 last night in overtime; a testimony to their resilience and a tip of my hat to them with all the respect in the world for going on with the job in front of them.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Giant Obsession

Quote from: kartanoman on April 14, 2024, 02:34:00 PMAs should be the case.

In unrelated playoff-impacting hockey, a sad ending to a team which has put together a nice run to close out their season. I, for one, am disappointed and sad to see them leave town:

Hockey has had nearly three decades to take root here and it simply hasn't been successful. The team, the head coach and players deserve far better than what they've been given and, so, it was the right decision for them to go to a place where they will be welcomed and have a chance to take root, grow and achieve far more than what they could under all the constraints here in Phoenix. Mullet Arena was a unique, surreal experience to take in an NHL game, with the Rangers, no less, but with a 4,600 seat capacity, the players have to sacrifice, the revenue stream isn't there and the owner came to grips and did the right thing by making it known his intention to sell.

For a lot of reasons I want the Rangers to go all the way, to say I was able to see them up close and personal in Phoenix would be perhaps the most important of all.

To the Coyotes, I wish them well in SLC under their new team name and uniform and may their young kids develop to challenge and dominate the west one day. In a bit of irony, they took down the Edmonton Oilers 3-2 last night in overtime; a testimony to their resilience and a tip of my hat to them with all the respect in the world for going on with the job in front of them.

Peace!

I really feel for you losing them.  Back in 1976 when I graduated college one of the great things was I was going to have time finlly to see more virginia Squire games (the ABA).

Alas the merger and a very underfunded, but way more entertaining League got gobbled up (4 teams out of remaining 9) by the NBA and there goes my dream.  No more Dr. J, George Gervin and Charlie Scott vs. Zelmo beaty, Willie Wise and the perennial power Utah Stars and other fine young talented teams which the NBA pilfered.  The Aba was a great idea just woefully underfunded.  If the ABA had been Lamar Hunts idea with his penchant for a solid plan it would have been a different story.  I still miss the Squires almost 50 years later.   SLC is getting a good young up and coming franchise.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

coggs

I do not care who they play in 1st round.  1) 7th-8th seed nowadays is not the same as 1985 when the 4th place teams had 60 points.   2) There isn't a team in the league they can't beat, doesn't mean they WILL win everything.  But, this team is better than a lot of fans want to give them credit.  3) Assuming the Rangers win tonight, I THINK it will be detroit.  They have a home and home with Montreal while Washington has Boston and philly. 

kartanoman

Quote from: coggs on April 15, 2024, 09:08:06 AMI do not care who they play in 1st round.  1) 7th-8th seed nowadays is not the same as 1985 when the 4th place teams had 60 points.   2) There isn't a team in the league they can't beat, doesn't mean they WILL win everything.  But, this team is better than a lot of fans want to give them credit.  3) Assuming the Rangers win tonight, I THINK it will be detroit.  They have a home and home with Montreal while Washington has Boston and philly. 

That's about the size of it, and credit to those desperate teams emptying their tank trying to get in.

1985-86 and the Beezer, what a run! Stopped nearly everything in his path until the head coach behind the Isles' bench outperformed him and stone-walled the Rangers in the semis. There are about three or four goalies in the playoffs who can do that to Rangers in this playoffs. Let's just say we should be grateful that Hellebuyck is in the Western Conference as he is on fire right now. Vasi in Tampa is always going to be tough, Lindgren in Washington is a wall when he's on and the Isles have acquitted themselves nicely with both of their goalies. Andersen in Carolina is another but the Rangers seem to find ways to score on him.

Anyway, game 82 tonight. Get the deed done, close this phase of the season, rest a few days and get ready for round one, game one at the Garden. This is what it's all about.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

coggs

Quote from: kartanoman on April 14, 2024, 02:34:00 PMAs should be the case.

Peace!

Elliot Friedman spoke about this on Saturday Headlines for HNIC.  Said what is going to be announced is the league buying the Yotes from Murelo.  League selling to Smith and moving to Utah.  HOWEVER, there will be some stipulation that if Murelo can secure land and build a suitable arena, he will be able to bring back the Coyotes.  Apparently, will be a 5-year window.  Now, I understand why the talk about Atlanta getting another team is gaining so much traction.  Remember, the Thrashers were a different situation.  New arena owners (not sure if they bought Hawks, Thrashers, arena at once, or just the arena and/or hawks) did not want thrashers in the arena and they had nowhere to play.  So, atlanta and a possibly coyotes 2.0 as one expansion.  Also talk of the Fertita's now having strong interest in a team in Houston.  In the past he said he would allow a team to use the arena, but had no interest in owning an nhl team himself.

EDjohnst1981

I see Chytil is involved in the morning skate.

Will stay up this evening to see if we can round off the season with the Presidents's Trophy.

EDjohnst1981

Job done. Home ice advantage throughout.

What a regular season they've had.

Now onto the part that matters.

LGR.

DaveBrown74

Excellent performance tonight to cap off a memorable regular season. Just as importantly, everyone is pretty much healthy.

As Ed said, now to the part that matters!

kartanoman

Well done tonight! Business taken care of, President's Trophy earned, Metro Division Championship earned,  #1 seed earned, rest earned until Saturday.

Great regular season! Onto the playoffs where it looks like Washington or Detroit.

Peace!

coggs

They didn't screw it up!

One thing I think the NHL gets wrong is the tie-breaker.  If at the end of the regular season, 2 teams are tied and 1 will make the play-offs and one is out, they should play a game for the last spot.  Let the team holding the "tie-breaker" host the game.  If they are tied for seeding where both are in, or they are tied for lottery placement then use the tie-breaker.  If Detroit and Washington both win tonight, they should be playing a game in Washington on Thursday or Friday for the last spot.

Gmo11

Quote from: coggs on April 16, 2024, 08:21:41 AMThey didn't screw it up!

One thing I think the NHL gets wrong is the tie-breaker.  If at the end of the regular season, 2 teams are tied and 1 will make the play-offs and one is out, they should play a game for the last spot.  Let the team holding the "tie-breaker" host the game.  If they are tied for seeding where both are in, or they are tied for lottery placement then use the tie-breaker.  If Detroit and Washington both win tonight, they should be playing a game in Washington on Thursday or Friday for the last spot.

Love that idea.  And the NHL gives teams a couple days off before the playoffs start anyway so that would then put the 8 seed at a bit of a disadvantage not having that extra day off but that's what you get for not winning the spot outright. I actually wouldn't mind it if they adopted an NBA style plan where the 8th and 9th seeds always play a play in game regardless of record. 

coggs

Quote from: Gmo11 on April 16, 2024, 09:37:25 AMLove that idea.  And the NHL gives teams a couple days off before the playoffs start anyway so that would then put the 8 seed at a bit of a disadvantage not having that extra day off but that's what you get for not winning the spot outright. I actually wouldn't mind it if they adopted an NBA style plan where the 8th and 9th seeds always play a play in game regardless of record. 
I don't watch the NBA, and don't want the NHL to expand the play-offs.  But, do like HOW the NBA does this play-in round where the loser of the 7-8 game gets a 2nd chance.

Rosehill Jimmy

Caps top Flyers to snag last WC spot and face Blueshirts in first round. While watching Caps celebrate I noticed that Dylan McIlrath was part of the pile.  Much ballyhooed first round choice of Rangers about 15 years ago who never came close to living up to the billing
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

Giant Obsession

Capital.

I hate the Capitals.

A plus is they are the team that had just canned our HC, so he better have the blueshirts breathing fire.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

EDjohnst1981

Does anyone know when the schedule is released. I need to start planning next week so I can avoid early meetings with the inevitable 3-4am finish.