News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

First impressions from Game 1

Started by JT39, September 10, 2023, 09:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JT39

This game is over so I figure I'll start some other conversation.

1. Jones was awful. He wasn't going to win this game and he was pressured a lot, but when plays were there - not only did he miss, he missed badly.

2. Daboll didn't have the team prepared at all. It's one thing to lose on talent. We were embarrassing out there.

3. KT and AO were MIA. Again, they didn't have much when it came to the loss but when it came to them making plays - nowhere to be found.

4. Evan Neal. Now it's time to get worried. He was the worst tackle in the league last year. He was the worst player in the NFL this week (well maybe Kadirus Toney - another nightmare pick.)

5. The IOL - Glowinski is done. Brederson is a back up. And the rookie? Well he was flat out awful.

6. I said this before. Schoen better hope this team and Jones get better. The OL is a disgrace and he gave Jones a ton of money. If they don't get much better very quickly- he's tied with Jones especially.

This was embarrassing. Pathetic to say. I didn't expect a win tonight. But I did expect a hard fought competitive game.

Shame on you Giants, shame on you.

kingm56

Glad I laid the points and took Dallas; I still maintain Phili and Dal are more talented than the Giants.

Trench

All good points. I also don't need to see rookies celebrating when we are getting our teeth kicked in.

We had better call Pugh at halftime and get him in tomorrow. Send a message once and for all

drakew

"The future ain't what it used to be-" Yogi Berra

DaveBrown74

Quote from: JT39 on September 10, 2023, 09:49:06 PMThis game is over so I figure I'll start some other conversation.

1. Jones was awful. He wasn't going to win this game and he was pressured a lot, but when plays were there - not only did he miss, he missed badly.

2. Daboll didn't have the team prepared at all. It's one thing to lose on talent. We were embarrassing out there.

3. KT and AO were MIA. Again, they didn't have much when it came to the loss but when it came to them making plays - nowhere to be found.

4. Evan Neal. Now it's time to get worried. He was the worst tackle in the league last year. He was the worst player in the NFL this week (well maybe Kadirus Toney - another nightmare pick.)

5. The IOL - Glowinski is done. Brederson is a back up. And the rookie? Well he was flat out awful.

6. I said this before. Schoen better hope this team and Jones get better. The OL is a disgrace and he gave Jones a ton of money. If they don't get much better very quickly- he's tied with Jones especially.

This was embarrassing. Pathetic to say. I didn't expect a win tonight. But I did expect a hard fought competitive game.

Shame on you Giants, shame on you.

Good post, and I agree with the vast majority if not all of it.

There will be plenty of Jones talk in the coming days/weeks/months/years, so I won't start off with that (although I have strong views on the topic).

I'll key on point number 4 though. I said all summer I was concerned by the fact that Neal showed ZERO improvement as a rookie. That's very different from Andrew Thomas, who played his whole rookie season on an ankle that required surgery immediately after the season. And yet he still looked like a different player down the back stretch of 2020.

You didn't get that with Neal. He was awful all year. To me that was worrying in comparison, and I said I felt he needed to show IMMEDIATELY this year that he had improved. As in the first few games.

We have only played one half of football, but the early signs are not good at all. I get that it's a good opponent, but this guy was taken 7th overall in the draft and was extremely hyped up as a top talent at his position. So with the pedigree and the draft capital involved, you'd expect him to be at least a fair/decent player in year two.

We need to see him be better this year, period, and it needs to show itself in the early part of this season. The Cardinals stink. If he doesn't bounce back next week with a much better performance, I'll be increasingly worried about him. If by the middle of this season he is this bad, you can rest assured that the Giants will be looking to go in a new direction at the position.

Trench

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 10, 2023, 10:01:57 PMGood post, and I agree with the vast majority if not all of it.

There will be plenty of Jones talk in the coming days/weeks/months/years, so I won't start off with that (although I have strong views on the topic).

I'll key on point number 4 though. I said all summer I was concerned by the fact that Neal showed ZERO improvement as a rookie. That's very different from Andrew Thomas, who played his whole rookie season on an ankle that required surgery immediately after the season. And yet he still looked like a different player down the back stretch of 2020.

You didn't get that with Neal. He was awful all year. To me that was worrying in comparison, and I said I felt he needed to show IMMEDIATELY this year that he had improved. As in the first few games.

We have only played one half of football, but the early signs are not good at all. I get that it's a good opponent, but this guy was taken 7th overall in the draft and was extremely hyped up as a top talent at his position. So with the pedigree and the draft capital involved, you'd expect him to be at least a fair/decent player in year two.

We need to see him be better this year, period, and it needs to show itself in the early part of this season. The Cardinals stink. If he doesn't bounce back next week with a much better performance, I'll be increasingly worried about him. If by the middle of this season he is this bad, you can rest assured that the Giants will be looking to go in a new direction at the position.

Thibs not much better at this point tonight

JT39

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 10, 2023, 10:01:57 PMGood post, and I agree with the vast majority if not all of it.

Neal should have been my number 1 on this post. This was Ian Allen level bad in the first half. I just don't see any toughness whatsoever with him. He seems like a great kid, maybe the nicest person on the team. And that translating to the field is a bad thing.

Show some nastiness.

AYM

Yeah, tonight Thibodeaux hasn't given us much more than Ximenes would have. To be fair, I'm not sure how I'd rate the defense considering by the time they took the field they were in a big hole and the team was demoralized.

H-Town G-Fan

Giants began a years long rebuild last year. An improbable playoff appearance in 2022 (and win versus a not-very-good Vikings team) raised expectations about where they were in that process. This team is still thin on talent and in my opinion the QB position is not definitely resolved (I think his deal makes this clear, but understand others disagree). I'm disappointed, but not entirely surprised.

True Blue

Theres no reason this tooic should exist before midnight

TDToomer

Quote from: True Blue on September 10, 2023, 10:37:55 PMTheres no reason this tooic should exist before midnight

I was waiting for someone to say this but didn't want to get yelled at.   
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Trench

What I find odd about this whole thing tonight is after the preseason game where Jones marched us down the field easily and looked electric, we didn't even run the ball once.

Yet today, all we seems to do out of the gate was run the ball.

It's just odd. We didn't stay with it

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Trench on September 10, 2023, 09:55:29 PMAll good points. I also don't need to see rookies celebrating when we are getting our teeth kicked in.

We had better call Pugh at halftime and get him in tomorrow. Send a message once and for all

Because a 33-year-old, injured OL is just what the team needs.

nicky1000

Quote from: Trench on September 10, 2023, 11:25:07 PMWhat I find odd about this whole thing tonight is after the preseason game where Jones marched us down the field easily and looked electric, we didn't even run the ball once.

Yet today, all we seems to do out of the gate was run the ball.

It's just odd. We didn't stay with it

I sometimes think it is less what the
coach says than what his gameplan is. In the preseason you saw what the "future" post rebuild can look like when the team
has the talent. I say this because Jones carving up a vanilla defense in the preseason equates to men vs boys.

Dallas D vs our O-line is men vs boys. We are not ready for a unit like that. Can we compete vs others? Sure. But not this caliber. Daboll felt we needed to set the tone and wear them down with run run run. It was probably our only chance and he knew it. The false start and 9 pt swing forced a gameplan on them they are not equipped for "yet". 

You could see Daboll knew it was slipping away early just like you knew when he went for it so early vs the Eagles in the divisional round.

We need things to break right vs the elite with the talent we have. Dallas could make unforced errors and survive vs us. We cannot. "Yet"

Trench

Quote from: Stringer Bell on September 10, 2023, 11:31:23 PMBecause a 33-year-old, injured OL is just what the team needs.

Well because our genius coach kept starters in, now Thomas got hurt!...how do we think that will help moving forward

Skinner and Raanan are also questioning these moves