News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

My proposed interview questions to Ronnie Barnes

Started by MightyGiants, October 12, 2023, 09:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

zephirus

Quote from: kartanoman on October 13, 2023, 09:18:10 AMLike the rest of us, Rich! Welcome to the club!

Peace!

This may ring hollow for some but I'm gonna turn 40 in a few weeks and I have no idea where the time went. 

Philosophers

Quote from: T200 on October 13, 2023, 07:47:48 AMI was actually leaning towards your line of thinking.

I think your specific injury and how it occurred is much different than how NFL players end up with hamstring injuries. Of all the ones that I've seen, they've generally been while they were actively running and pulled it or were trying to stop running, and pulled it. In your case, you were simply doing a static stretch and overextended it. That same range of motion isn't required for players, at least in the NFL. Kickers/punters may be the exception.

I was not suggesting my injury would be like how an NFLer would be injured.  Just an example to make a point.

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 12, 2023, 08:35:38 PMJoe,

You inspired my insane intellectual curiosity, and I came up with this

https://newcastlesportsmedicine.com.au/injury-prevention/stretching-prevent-injuries-evidence/

It appears @zephirus is correct

Rich - one thing is I've learned about studies is that none of them are holy with studies conflicting others. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on October 13, 2023, 12:43:05 PMRich - one thing is I've learned about studies is that none of them are holy with studies conflicting others. 

That sort of circles back to a point I made a few months ago.   Our strength and conditioning coach has the certifications, but he is completely lacking in the educational background (if memory serves, he has a BA in History).   That educational background is critical for someone in his position.  As you said, there are contradictions and things are not always clear-cut.  You need someone with an educational background and grounded in the fundamentals who is qualified and capable of properly evaluating new studies and proposals. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: Philosophers on October 13, 2023, 12:40:58 PMI was not suggesting my injury would be like how an NFLer would be injured.  Just an example to make a point.
Didn't mean to suggest that.  :ok:

Was only pointing out that the movement and range were different when the injuries occurred.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Woody

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 12, 2023, 09:35:58 AMThere is a thread where @DaveBrown74 suggested in light of the Giants injury woes, that Ronnie Barnes should be interviewed along with the position coaches.    I suggested I would like to interview him.  Here are the interview questions I would like to ask him.

1)  The Giants have been consistently among the teams with the most player games lost due to injury for the past decade.  What do you attribute this to?

2)  What changes are the Giants making to try and reduce the number of injuries as well as the time lost due to injuries?

3) Andrew Thomas suffered a hamstring injury that your staff deemed minor enough that he could continue to play in the Dallas game.  Why has that minor injury resulted in Thomas missing a month's worth of games and counting?

4) Ronnie, you are in your 70s.  At that age, many in your profession retire or take on a lesser or less demanding role.  Medicine is an ever-changing and evolving field.  What do you do to stay current and on top of your profession?

5) The medical staff needs to sign off on every draft pick and free agent the team acquires, as well as players whose contracts are extended.   What screening process do you use to ensure the team avoids injury-prone players or players with high injury risk?
You nailed it .....I think his medical judgements have been suspect for years ....time for him to retire

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MightyGiants

Quote from: Woody on October 13, 2023, 01:32:42 PMYou nailed it .....I think his medical judgements have been suspect for years ....time for him to retire

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Giants put him in their ring of honor last season.  I really thought that was a prelude to him retiring at the end of the season.  I was a bit surprised that he didn't retire this offseason.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Quote from: zephirus on October 13, 2023, 09:30:06 AMThis may ring hollow for some but I'm gonna turn 40 in a few weeks and I have no idea where the time went. 

To put it in perspective, I was still running 42 minute 10K runs when I still lived in Alabama in my early 40s. I could still punt the ball about as good as the legend in my signature block below, as well.

Then I moved to Tucson, AZ for a special assignment, started a new life (i.e. divorced and remarried, will be 13 years next month of true love and happiness), kept running until my left Achilles gave out and, after five surgeries to repair that thing, and fight osteomyelitis, and had total knee arthroplasty, same leg, this past May, at 54, I feel like a 94 year old but am too stubborn to stop. I still coach my daughter's recreational soccer team and try to chase them around.

Your mind will always think you're 21. Your body will send you a painful reminder it isn't the case! Whether you listen to your body or not can be the difference of going through a lot of pain, in getting old, or, as they say, age gracefully.

Regardless, as a junior member in training, welcome to our esteemed club anyway!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)