News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

A good example of reactive rather than proactive

Started by MightyGiants, November 03, 2023, 12:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmo11

The kicker thing bothers me.  Although I guess it's possible Gano told him all week I'm fine I got this I can kick no problem and if he was making kicks in practice all week then fine...I guess.  But the idea of sending out a kicker with a bum knee of any kind still seems silly even if he says it's fine.

The QB thing though... not sure what they could have done differently besides just said "screw it, time to air it out Devito" and let the chips fall where they may.  Signing a new QB wasn't going to help since the guy wouldn't have been ready to play anyway.  Devito has been on the team all year, for some strange reason, so if he's the 3rd guy you've been carrying around he's the 3rd guy.  I think in the moment Daboll thought with the way the defense was playing the only way they'd lose if if Devito did something stupid so he took that off the board.  I don't blame him for that so much.  If they had been down 10 rather than up 3 I bet it's a totally different story.

Dumpster Dan

It may be reactive Rich  but what is the alternative?

Dumpster Dan

MightyGiants

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on November 03, 2023, 01:31:55 PMIt may be reactive Rich  but what is the alternative?

Dumpster Dan

The Giants could have tagged Jones as questionable (as they had done the prior week) on the injury report.  When Jones was cleared, he could have been the backup QB, since they didn't trust DeVito to actually play QB.

If they were unsure of Gano, they could have signed another kicker.   I have a hard time believing that everything was great prior to the game and it was only during the game that Gano fell apart. I had heard reports that suggested Gano was struggling with some of his pre-game warmup kicks (something the ST coach should have noticed).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Dumpster Dan

Fair enough   but trying to put a classic Dumpster Dan spin on the situation

Maybe Cade York will turn out to be our version of Matt Stover

Dumpster Dan

Gmo11

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 03, 2023, 01:35:04 PMThe Giants could have tagged Jones as questionable (as they had done the prior week) on the injury report.  When Jones was cleared, he could have been the backup QB, since they didn't trust DeVito to actually play QB.

If they were unsure of Gano, they could have signed another kicker.   I have a hard time believing that everything was great prior to the game and it was only during the game that Gano fell apart. I had heard reports that suggested Gano was struggling with some of his pre-game warmup kicks (something the ST coach should have noticed).

But by then it's too late.  So if he practiced all week and kept saying he's fine and his kicks kept going through the uprights all week and then he woke up Sunday with a knee more sore than it was the day before... they don't have a ton of options at that point. Now, if that were all true you'd assume they go for it on 4th and 1 rather than kick it at the end of the game which is a fair criticism.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 03, 2023, 02:06:52 PMBut by then it's too late.  So if he practiced all week and kept saying he's fine and his kicks kept going through the uprights all week and then he woke up Sunday with a knee more sore than it was the day before... they don't have a ton of options at that point. Now, if that were all true you'd assume they go for it on 4th and 1 rather than kick it at the end of the game which is a fair criticism.

It was too late to get a replacement, but such information would have been helpful when deciding to go for it on 4 and 1 or try a FG.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TDToomer

Why not just elevate Matt Barkley to the active roster and waived DeVito? No one will claim a guy who can't make a pass in a real game.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs