News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Would you trade the first overall pick to Buffalo for Josh Allen?

Started by DaveBrown74, November 16, 2023, 08:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

If we end up with the number one overall pick, and Buffalo offered us Josh Allen for the pick, would you do it?

Curious as to people's thoughts. Obviously just pure hypotheticals and speculation here by Tiki and Evan.

https://twitter.com/EvanRobertsWFAN/status/1725297986253582372

Dgoodmantrublu

I think so. His base salaries are very affordable as Buffalo has already paid those bonuses. It would be like having a QB on a rookie deal or close to it.

madbadger

No. Trading the first pick overall means we end up with a franchise quarterback who is six years younger on a rookie deal. If we have the first pick overall I want them to go for the brass ring and draft the face of the franchise for the next 12-15 years not a really good quarterback who is wearing out his welcome somewhere else.

Dgoodmantrublu

Actually upon closer speculation, those roster bonuses change the calculus.

DaveBrown74

I would 100% do the trade. It's not often that a talent like Allen comes around. When you draft a QB you run a huge risk that he's either bust or at least somewhat of a disappointment. I'm also with Mike Lombardi that Allen is propping up a mediocre at best team there in Buffalo rather than him being the problem. At 27 his age is not an issue for me. There are QBs coming out in this draft who will be 24 or 25 as rookies.

Dgoodmantrublu

The age part is the real thing. It is that if you hit on a young QB, you get him on that rookie contract. That helps with team building.

Doc16LT56

Really depends on how the college kids grade out. Does one of the big-2 QBs grade out to be special? If no, then make the trade.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 16, 2023, 09:13:38 PMThe age part is the real thing. It is that if you hit on a young QB, you get him on that rookie contract. That helps with team building.

Eliminating any possibility that you're drafting the next Josh Rosen or even Trey Lance is huge though. Allen is a confirmed stud. If he were 31 I'd feel differently but 27 is still basically early prime for a star QB. I'd do it all day. And I'd be willing to give up more than just the first overall pick if I had to.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on November 16, 2023, 09:20:12 PMReally depends on how the college kids grade out. Does one of the big-2 QBs grade out to be special? If no, then make the trade.

They are both considered elite prospects.

Dgoodmantrublu

Philosophers

A QB on a rookie contract is probably the most valuable thing a team can have for the purposes the rest of the team so no thanks.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on November 16, 2023, 09:25:05 PMA QB on a rookie contract is probably the most valuable thing a team can have for the purposes the rest of the team so no thanks.

It's great if the QB is Mahomes or Allen. Not so much if it's Mayfield, Wentz, or Lance. And nobody here or anywhere else knows for sure what either of these young men will be.

PSUBeirut

1000% yes, no doubt. It will never happen though. Not a chance.

Ed Vette

A proven Elite QB for the next ten years? Let me ask Jalin Hyatt...

He said hell yes!

So do I.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

You have to take a guy that has proven to be an elite QB over a pick. 

Allen is a potential HOFer.  You draft a QB hoping to get a Josh Allen.  Having him immediately gives the team the best QB in the NFC hands down. 

Completely changes the course of the franchise.

If it happened it would take some creativity to make the salary cap work next year with Jones and Allen scheduled to count over 90 million combined.