News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

David Gettleman's definition of "Quarterback hell"

Started by MightyGiants, November 23, 2023, 08:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

"If you take a guy just to take a guy, especially at the quarterback position, and he fails, you set yourself back five years. You set yourself back five years because there are teams that are in what I call quarterback hell. They've got quality defense, they've got a good special teams, and they're going 7-9, 8-8, 9-7. And now if there is a legitimate guy, they've got to trade up and give away the farm to get the guy."
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

If only we could have had those kinds of records with the guy he picked (apart from one year, after he left).

To me, the true QB hell is not so much getting it wrong with a draft pick. That's certainly not ideal, but it doesn't have to be "hell" if you're willing to be nimble and admit you were wrong reasonably quickly and not cling and make excuses for 4-5 years for why the guy sucks.

The true QB hell in my opinion is handing a large, unwieldy second contract to a so-so but clearly not great QB, just because you feel attached to him. That is a much bigger problem than getting it wrong in the draft. For obvious reasons.

sxdxca38

What I also consider QB hell, is when you know you need to move on from somebody, but your team continues to win meaningless games.

Now instead of having a top one or two draft pick, your now sitting with a top 6 pick and have to give up the farm to get your guy, if you're even allowed to make the trade.

QB hell

Giant Jim

Three ways to achieve QB hell:

1. What you pay for him #1. If Eli didn't work out, that would've been QB hell. 2- #1's and dumping your better than average starter. If they kept Rivers and he didn't work out, they had Collins to fall back on, the next year's #1 and other picks.

2. What you pay for him #2. Another way to achieve QB hell is to use a high draft pick every 2 or 3 years and have each one fail. Just ask the Jets.

3. Have the worst offensive line in the NFL over the course of 10 years or so.

Gmo11

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 23, 2023, 08:25:28 AM"If you take a guy just to take a guy, especially at the quarterback position, and he fails, you set yourself back five years. You set yourself back five years because there are teams that are in what I call quarterback hell. They've got quality defense, they've got a good special teams, and they're going 7-9, 8-8, 9-7. And now if there is a legitimate guy, they've got to trade up and give away the farm to get the guy."

All this time I thought gettleman had no plan whatsoever but here he is laying out his blueprint step for step. Turns out it was well executed.

katkavage

Nice of Dave to put the Giants there when he reached for Jones. The question is: do you have faith in Schoen? He is doing his homework now. His rep will be on the line. Not to mention his job.

T200

Quote from: Giant Jim on November 23, 2023, 09:35:27 AMThree ways to achieve QB hell:

1. What you pay for him #1. If Eli didn't work out, that would've been QB hell. 2- #1's and dumping your better than average starter. If they kept Rivers and he didn't work out, they had Collins to fall back on, the next year's #1 and other picks.

2. What you pay for him #2. Another way to achieve QB hell is to use a high draft pick every 2 or 3 years and have each one fail. Just ask the Jets.

3. Have the worst offensive line in the NFL over the course of 10 years or so.

I'll add #4:

- QB blinders: Your team is so bad that it masks how bad the QB is and you continue to stick with him and not admitting he's a big part of the reason your team is bad to begin with.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Dgoodmantrublu

He did hte exact thing he preached against and put us right in that QB hell.

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 23, 2023, 08:25:28 AM"If you take a guy just to take a guy, especially at the quarterback position, and he fails, you set yourself back five years. You set yourself back five years because there are teams that are in what I call quarterback hell. They've got quality defense, they've got a good special teams, and they're going 7-9, 8-8, 9-7. And now if there is a legitimate guy, they've got to trade up and give away the farm to get the guy."

B1GBLUE

well we certainly arent in the latter portion of that.

TDToomer

The definition of QB hell is the Jets. Trey have wiffed on 2 top 3 overall picks in the past 6 years now and are going with the aging proven QB now to mask their mistakes.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Jolly Blue Giant

Truer words have rarely been spoken

We are not in "QB hell"...we are in "OL hell". No QB can overcome playing the game on his back and playing sore and/or injured and running for his life. We could break the all-time record this season for getting sacked, a record set back in the 80s by the Eagles. We're only about 40 sacks away from that record, and we've got six games to go. At the current pace, we'll break it and it's a record that would probably never be broken...right up there with DiMaggio's hit streak and Rose's 4,256 career hits. It is UNACCEPTABLE by any measure!!! No QB, no matter how good, can win games when there is no time to throw and running for his life. When I think of QB hell, I think of the Commanders, the Browns, the Jets (although Rogers would've been a good band aid to stop the bleeding), and I think the Patriots have a foot all the way in the QB hell pit, etc. I don't think the Giants are there yet. We can't even figure out what we have until the offensive line is fixed once and for all

Jones was sacked 30 times in six games this year before a season ending injury. Devito got sacked 9 times in the last game and the clock is ticking on his durability at that rate. Our offensive line is a sieve
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Doc16LT56

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on November 24, 2023, 11:47:49 AMTruer words have rarely been spoken

We are not in "QB hell"...we are in "OL hell". No QB can overcome playing the game on his back and playing sore and/or injured and running for his life. We could break the all-time record this season for getting sacked, a record set back in the 80s by the Eagles. We're only about 40 sacks away from that record, and we've got six games to go. At the current pace, we'll break it and it's a record that would probably never be broken...right up there with DiMaggio's hit streak and Rose's 4,256 career hits. It is UNACCEPTABLE by any measure!!! No QB, no matter how good, can win games when there is no time to throw and running for his life. When I think of QB hell, I think of the Commanders, the Browns, the Jets (although Rogers would've been a good band aid to stop the bleeding), and I think the Patriots have a foot all the way in the QB hell pit, etc. I don't think the Giants are there yet. We can't even figure out what we have until the offensive line is fixed once and for all

Jones was sacked 30 times in six games this year before a season ending injury. Devito got sacked 9 times in the last game and the clock is ticking on his durability at that rate. Our offensive line is a sieve

This team is in QB hell because of the Jones contract, not because of DeVito. All DeVito has done in his handful of games is shown the world that he is more effective behind this OL than Daniel Jones.

Daniel Jones is the problem. Wasting 5+ years trying to "evaluate" Jones is the reason we're in QB hell. QB hell is the bumbling idiot Gettleman's legacy.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on November 24, 2023, 12:19:29 PMThis team is in QB hell because of the Jones contract, not because of DeVito. All DeVito has done in his handful of games is shown the world that he is more effective behind this OL than Daniel Jones.

Daniel Jones is the problem. Wasting 5+ years trying to "evaluate" Jones is the reason we're in QB hell. QB hell is the bumbling idiot Gettleman's legacy.

Let's not forget that Devito shined against the Commanders, not a good team. And even though the Commanders traded away Chase Young and Montez Sweat, they still blew through our offensive line for 9 sacks and 11 QB hits. And the Commanders' with Sam (turnover) Howell at the helm, allowed the Giants' defense to take the game away

I'm not knocking Devito, just saying that we won because of a crap load of turnovers and in spite of an offensive line that couldn't stop my 92-year-old mother (who uses a walker, BTW) from getting to the QB. I like Devito, but I'm also a huge SU fan and watched him play for years...and all I can say, is that his play last Sunday was an aberration from his college days (I hope it continues, but it's hard to forget what I watched in Syracuse). I say, "good for him...he's got some game to him", but our problem is not DJ, who seems to be the favorite target of frustrated fans' wrath along with big mouth pundits who need to stay on the bandwagon they started when he was drafted. Meanwhile, the coaches, GM, and every single one of the Giants' players have 100% faith in DJ and believe in him as a future winner. Fans think that if we only had Justin Herbert, he would/could carry this team on his back regardless of the players around him. This is a team sport, and it takes the whole team. It's not the PGA or pro-tennis

Our problems go much deeper than QB...even though it's true that QB is a problem with us having to rely on a third string undrafted rookie. Just don't think that Devito is the second coming of Brady, and don't get your hopes up when he plays against teams like the Eagles. Must keep in mind that this win was against a very poor Commanders' team

And another thing - QB hell (IMHO) is also a team with a QB who folds like a cheap suit in the most important games and is unable to rise to the occasion at the end of the season (know what I'm saying Dak?)

Doc16LT56

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on November 24, 2023, 01:10:59 PMLet's not forget that Devito shined against the Commanders, not a good team. And even though the Commanders traded away Chase Young and Montez Sweat, they still blew through our offensive line for 9 sacks and 11 QB hits. And the Commanders' with Sam (turnover) Howell at the helm, allowed the Giants' defense to take the game away

I'm not knocking Devito, just saying that we won because of a crap load of turnovers and in spite of an offensive line that couldn't stop my 92-year-old mother (who uses a walker, BTW) from getting to the QB. I like Devito, but I'm also a huge SU fan and watched him play for years...and all I can say, is that his play last Sunday was an aberration from his college days (I hope it continues, but it's hard to forget what I watched in Syracuse). I say, "good for him...he's got some game to him", but our problem is not DJ, who seems to be the favorite target of frustrated fans' wrath along with big mouth pundits who need to stay on the bandwagon they started when he was drafted. Meanwhile, the coaches, GM, and every single one of the Giants' players have 100% faith in DJ and believe in him as a future winner. Fans think that if we only had Justin Herbert, he would/could carry this team on his back regardless of the players around him. This is a team sport, and it takes the whole team. It's not the PGA or pro-tennis

Our problems go much deeper than QB...even though it's true that QB is a problem with us having to rely on a third string undrafted rookie. Just don't think that Devito is the second coming of Brady, and don't get your hopes up when he plays against teams like the Eagles. Must keep in mind that this win was against a very poor Commanders' team

And another thing - QB hell (IMHO) is also a team with a QB who folds like a cheap suit in the most important games and is unable to rise to the occasion at the end of the season (know what I'm saying Dak?)

I don't think any reasonable person wants DeVito as QB1 on this team. We just don't want Jones either.

I don't disagree with your point about Dak. I wouldn't describe the situation in Dallas as QB hell but I wouldn't be confident with him as my starting QB going into the playoffs either.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on November 24, 2023, 01:34:33 PMI don't think any reasonable person wants DeVito as QB1 on this team. We just don't want Jones either.

I don't disagree with your point about Dak. I wouldn't describe the situation in Dallas as QB hell but I wouldn't be confident with him as my starting QB going into the playoffs either.

You should say "I", not "We"...sure there's a few on this board who despise DJ, and there's also a whole lot of supporters of DJ as well (especially the players and the organization). But I don't speak for all of his supporters, just myself