News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

In The First Round (Guests Can Vote)

Started by Ed Vette, December 02, 2023, 12:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Choose Two Options

You may only select up to 2 options.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

QB and trade-up (if necessary and the opportunity is available).

My answer also depends on the obviously necessary condition that our front office firmly believes that one or more of the QB prospects that are obtainable to them have a strong chance of being elite.

BluesCruz

I'm for trading down and for the Oline. Evans is a bust- Human Turnstile

We have a QB- Tommy D.  Who is amongst the hottest QBs in the NFL right now.  We have had a huge gift dropped in our laps and everyone seems to want some untested college QB.  NFL untested that is.  No way we do that if DeVito continue to win.  Would be madness.

Think about it.  How many NFL teams have had this happen- SFO with Purdy and thats it.  Well back in the day there was Kurt Warner
Tommy makes less than 1 million per year which makes up for writing off what we owe Jones

Id keep Jones personally, and make him the 1st backup.
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Quote from: LennG on December 02, 2023, 12:56:34 PMQB #1
Trade up for QB #2
So pick two QB's? For the odds of getting one right?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

So the majority looks like QB and sit for a choice of who's still on the board to choose from.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

I picked qb and trade up because if you find a guy that you think is elite you do whatever you need to in order to get him.

Jolly Blue Giant

It's a little moot to try and devine what the situation will be by the time the draft is here. Things to consider: what free agents we sign (ours and from other teams); the measure of faith the front office and coaches have in DJ; Injuries yet to happen in the last few games; coaching changes;,etc

I picked: "Edge" and "Trade down for more picks". If we could trade down (no further than 10-12) and pick up another 2nd and maybe next year's 1st, I'd be all for it UNLESS Harrison was on the board when we're up to bat...then throw all my opinions out the door, run to the podium, and get us Harrison

I believe the team is sticking with DJ regardless of fan sentiment. They know what they want, they pretty much know what they have in DJ, and the book is still out on how he can perform behind a decent NFL line in front of him. The decision makers are far more "football smart" than fans and they tune out all the bitching and whining and go with their analysis of players based on dozens of things fans tend to ignore

As far as EDGE goes, you can never have too many stud pass rushers. It opens up all the other players on defense to excel when the QB is on his heels, running for his life, or digging up turf with his face mask
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 02, 2023, 12:34:48 PMQB and trade-up (if necessary and the opportunity is available).

My answer also depends on the obviously necessary condition that our front office firmly believes that one or more of the QB prospects that are obtainable to them have a strong chance of being elite.
Ditto.

Thanks for saving me having to type "our" thoughts  ;)   :ok:
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

y_so_blu

Quarterback. Maye, McCarthy, Daniels, or maybe Ewers. (Definitely NOT Williams, Penix or Nix.)

If that fails and Harrison Jr. is available, you take him.

If we don't get either, take a stud linebacker or trade down for more picks to rebuild the offensive line.

LennG

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 02, 2023, 01:02:14 PMSo pick two QB's? For the odds of getting one right?

Pick #1 QB, if we aren't in a position to get the guy we want, trade up.

I should have said option #1, option #2.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

londonblue

We have a lot of holes. DJ's contract has him here next year albeit not necessarily ready to play. If Drake Maye somehow falls to us then take him (no trade up as we have too many needs).

Otherwise trade back as we need starters all over the OL, a true WR1, Edge2,DT/DE Leo replacement, FS and CB2. If a trade back means we can address four rather than two needs we will have a much better platform for the new QB in '25. A QB we will be able to take high if we ride with Tommy for a season.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Doc16LT56

On the issue of trading back, we have to keep in mind that adding more picks doesn't automatically mean filling more holes. Let's keep in mind a couple years ago, when the guy they wanted was taken, they traded out of the 11th spot in exchange for 4 picks. They could have sat tight and taken one of Micah Parsons, Rashawn Slater, or Alijah Vera-Tucker, who were the next three players drafted and any of whom would have filled a major hole for the Giants. Instead they ended up with Kadarius Toney, Aaron Robinson, Evan Neal, and Daniel Bellinger.

Collectively those 4 guys haven't filled any holes and took up more of the salary cap than they would've spent had they kept the 11th pick.

One other interesting fact, they traded up from 76th to 70th for Aaron Robinson. Robinson has barely played over 3 years. Meanwhile, the guy drafted at #76 is Saints CB Paulson Adebo who is having an All Pro type season.

Bottom line with the draft is they have to do a better job picking good players. I don't want to blame Schoen for Gettleman's screw ups, but even Schoen has a lot to prove.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on December 04, 2023, 09:39:00 AMOn the issue of trading back, we have to keep in mind that adding more picks doesn't automatically mean filling more holes. Let's keep in mind a couple years ago, when the guy they wanted was taken, they traded out of the 11th spot in exchange for 4 picks. They could have sat tight and taken one of Micah Parsons, Rashawn Slater, or Alijah Vera-Tucker, who were the next three players drafted and any of whom would have filled a major hole for the Giants. Instead they ended up with Kadarius Toney, Aaron Robinson, Evan Neal, and Daniel Bellinger.

Collectively those 4 guys haven't filled any holes and took up more of the salary cap than they would've spent had they kept the 11th pick.

One other interesting fact, they traded up from 76th to 70th for Aaron Robinson. Robinson has barely played over 3 years. Meanwhile, the guy drafted at #76 is Saints CB Paulson Adebo who is having an All Pro type season.

Bottom line with the draft is they have to do a better job picking good players. I don't want to blame Schoen for Gettleman's screw ups, but even Schoen has a lot to prove.
Doc: Nice post. Never heard from people I talk to why Giants did not want Parsons and it's still pissing me off.

Perhaps it was character concerns but IMO virtually NO ONE thought he could play with his hand in the dirt. 

In other words, they may have concluded that a pure linebacker just wasn't worth such a high pick.

Same with Barkley ("RB's just aren't worth such high picks").  Well, sometimes a guy breaks the mold.

In Barkley's case, he proved himself to be a top NFL player. We'd never hear the end of it if he had busted.

Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Doc16LT56

Quote from: Bob In PA on December 04, 2023, 09:54:57 AMDoc: Nice post. Never heard from people I talk to why Giants did not want Parsons and it's still pissing me off.

Perhaps it was character concerns but IMO virtually NO ONE thought he could play with his hand in the dirt. 

In other words, they may have concluded that a pure linebacker just wasn't worth such a high pick.

Same with Barkley ("RB's just aren't worth such high picks").  Well, sometimes a guy breaks the mold.

In Barkley's case, he proved himself to be a top NFL player. We'd never hear the end of it if he had busted.

Bob

Bob, I "liked" your comments on Parsons and am choosing to remain agnostic on your Barkley comments. We can hash that one out another day. Lol.