News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT- Thoughts on this incident

Started by MightyGiants, December 04, 2023, 03:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kartanoman

Quote from: madbadger on December 04, 2023, 06:23:04 PMThought I was losing my mind for a second, and why would it be ok for an assistant to touch an opposing player while breaking up a fight but not for the teams head of security? I could understand if he was really aggressive in breaking them up but that was mild by any objective standard.

It has been made explicitly clear that nobody, apart from the officials assigned to the game, are allowed to break up skirmishes on the field of play. A team's "Director of Security" does NOT have a role or responsibility, as anyone else on that field that's not part of the officiating crew, to so much as touch or interfere with any player. Consequently, there will be significant punishment imposed on both DiSandro and the Eagles' organization.

The NFL stage is a protected area where its most precious assets (i.e. its players) cannot and will not be subjected to any risk from the outside which could compromise the NFL's security plan for that stadium and introduce risk. They will not take any chances and have stated so by making an example of non-players who attempt to interact with players on the field during the game.

It can be thought of as over the top in some respects, I suppose. Then, again, if I was at work and had some folks taking a factory tour come up to me and ignore all the "do not enter" areas, or areas where personal protective equipment was required, and they wanted to tell me what a great engineer I am or yell at me in protest for the environment (or for whatever reason), I'd be a little freaked out, to be honest with you. But I'd have enough sense to try and de-escalate the situation and call security on my phone ASAP for help.

The point is this. Professionals do their jobs and visitors need to watch or observe from their designated seats or standing locations for many reasons: 1. safety of the players, 2. safety for themselves, 3. ensuring no disturbances so the professionals can go out there and do their jobs as best as they can. To do that, they need predictability in the work environment. That, in a nutshell, means reliable policies, procedures and processes with organizational staff they know so that everything is in order.

Still can't see why this altercation was a big deal? Ask anyone you know in the Police Force, Military Police or head of Security for a Corporate entity and they will talk your head off why what DiSandro did was wrong on many levels and his actions deserve the punishment he will ultimately receive. In the world of security, and keeping human beings alive and well, there is a zero-tolerance position leadership has and even the smallest compromise could potentially kill many. Be grateful for those NFL Security Policies the next time you attend an NFL game.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

uconnjack8

Quote from: kartanoman on December 04, 2023, 07:44:50 PMIt has been made explicitly clear that nobody, apart from the officials assigned to the game, are allowed to break up skirmishes on the field of play. A team's "Director of Security" does NOT have a role or responsibility, as anyone else on that field that's not part of the officiating crew, to so much as touch or interfere with any player. Consequently, there will be significant punishment imposed on both DiSandro and the Eagles' organization.

The NFL stage is a protected area where its most precious assets (i.e. its players) cannot and will not be subjected to any risk from the outside which could compromise the NFL's security plan for that stadium and introduce risk. They will not take any chances and have stated so by making an example of non-players who attempt to interact with players on the field during the game.

It can be thought of as over the top in some respects, I suppose. Then, again, if I was at work and had some folks taking a factory tour come up to me and ignore all the "do not enter" areas, or areas where personal protective equipment was required, and they wanted to tell me what a great engineer I am or yell at me in protest for the environment (or for whatever reason), I'd be a little freaked out, to be honest with you. But I'd have enough sense to try and de-escalate the situation and call security on my phone ASAP for help.

The point is this. Professionals do their jobs and visitors need to watch or observe from their designated seats or standing locations for many reasons: 1. safety of the players, 2. safety for themselves, 3. ensuring no disturbances so the professionals can go out there and do their jobs as best as they can. To do that, they need predictability in the work environment. That, in a nutshell, means reliable policies, procedures and processes with organizational staff they know so that everything is in order.

Still can't see why this altercation was a big deal? Ask anyone you know in the Police Force, Military Police or head of Security for a Corporate entity and they will talk your head off why what DiSandro did was wrong on many levels and his actions deserve the punishment he will ultimately receive. In the world of security, and keeping human beings alive and well, there is a zero-tolerance position leadership has and even the smallest compromise could potentially kill many. Be grateful for those NFL Security Policies the next time you attend an NFL game.

Peace!

Thanks for saying it better than I did.  I think one of the worst parts about this for Dom Disandro is that he moved on to the boundary line. 

Whether he is team security, stadium security or any other title, he is not supposed to cross that line.  Greenlaw was in the field of play when Disandro physically contacted him.  So this isn't like he was 5 yards off the sideline and the players momentum brought them to him and he just reacted.  He actually crossed the white line everyone (including coaches and players not involved in the current play) is supposed to stand behind. 

spiderblue43

Another Philly Thing they worship..take pride in with a meathead like Dom. Security in that town better include a brick bat from them. Philly as in feces.. Redfaced  :poo: 

y_so_blu

The security guy is a clown who shouldn't have been saying anything to an opposing player. Why do they need him on their sideline anyway? For protection from their own fans?

Sadly you expect this kind of rinky-dink stuff from the Eagles, but the officials also made the league look foolish by ejecting Greenlaw. Totally unnecessary.

Fortunately the Niners were above all this and did not allow a friggin' mall cop to affect the course of the game.

Doc16LT56

The league issued a memo to all of the teams about non-player conduct. At this point I don't think it's a question of if but of how severe the punishment for the Eagles will be.

Snippets of the memo from the article:

"The Playing Rules of the National Football League, and our Game Operations Policies, clearly prohibit non-player personnel — coaches, trainers, equipment staff, security officers, or others — from making physical contact with, taunting, or directing abusive or insulting language toward opposing players, game officials, or others involved in a game," the memo explains. "If an altercation occurs, club personnel are to allow the coaches and game officials to manage the situation, with the officials assessing appropriate penalties, with assistance from the League Office as needed. Under no circumstances are club personnel to engage with or make physical contact with another club's player(s) or other personnel."

That's a pretty clear indication as to the league's position on what DiSandro should, and shouldn't, have done. He shouldn't have stepped onto the white stripe separating the field from the bench area and pushed players apart.

"This has been made clear on numerous occasions, including earlier this year at the Fall League Meeting, and in Football Operations memos 71-23 and 81-23, dated September 13, 2023, and October 18, 2023, respectively," the memo continues. "The Football Operations Department will diligently enforce these rules and assess accountability measures on both individuals and clubs as appropriate. In addition to ejection, these may include fines and/or suspensions without pay."

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/nfl-issues-another-memo-regarding-non-player-conduct-during-games

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on December 04, 2023, 04:35:41 PMI am sure it has been asked, but why was the head of security on the sideline during the game? 

Had the sound off during this and was wondering who the guy was.  Thought he was a coach at 1st.
The Eagles think they're a Mob family.
In reality "please, they're a glorified crew" - Phil Leotardo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Uni

The misconception from the broadcast was that he was the head of security, implying he was the head of security at the Linc. He's the chief security officer for the Eagles, which is not the same thing.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Uni on December 08, 2023, 11:38:57 AMThe misconception from the broadcast was that he was the head of security, implying he was the head of security at the Linc. He's the chief security officer for the Eagles, which is not the same thing.

Correct, but somewhat irrelevant.  Either way he was not supposed to cross the white line or touch a player to break up a skirmish.  So they were incorrect, but in terms of rules it doesn't matter.

Uni

Quote from: uconnjack8 on December 08, 2023, 11:49:50 AMCorrect, but somewhat irrelevant.  Either way he was not supposed to cross the white line or touch a player to break up a skirmish.  So they were incorrect, but in terms of rules it doesn't matter.
That is true, but some people were asking why the head of Lincoln field was on the Eagles sidelines. The answer is, he wasn't.

kartanoman

With the situation now adjudicated, the final piece of the puzzle may not have received full attention in the National Press:

49ers LB Greenlaw exchanges apologies with Eagles' Big Dom, insists he isn't 'dirty'

The two have apologized, the "Commish" did the right thing, in the end, with the memo and a one-game disbarment for Dom on the sidelines, and everyone is now clearer on the expectation going forward.

Let's move on!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

AZGiantFan

If this is the resolution, the kid photographer is owed a restoration and an apology, IMO.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll