News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Seriously, lets get behind Tommy DeVito and stop the Doubting Thomas narrative

Started by BluesCruz, December 12, 2023, 07:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

expatriot

I'm loving the whole Italian Stallion show.  Great fun...he's definitely playing himself into the league.  How long it lasts?  Who knows? But he has made Giants football fun again and I will take it.  If nothing else, from a football perspective he shows where Jones falls short...he throws downfield, (more 20 yard plays) so far he makes good reads, he's growing as a player.  Same crappy line, same crappy receivers who can't get open (for Jones) yet they ARE open and he finds them, same crappy coordinator and head coach... /sarcasm/ ... Jones has way more physical talent, but DeVito has a bit more moxy, more "it" factor, more fun factor...call it what you will...and it shows with the team.

uconnjack8

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 12, 2023, 08:39:42 AMWhy is it when Matt Beida comes in the Red Sea parts and he usually runs for 5-6 yds immediately?  Give me a Brake

Barkley is slow to pick his hole and hits the hole with zero force.  Barkley is a big hole guy who looks good in the opponents downfield areas with his shifty moves

We dont open a lot of big holes

Couple of things here:

1)  Barkley is averaging 4.2 ypc for the season and Breida 2.7.  If the red sea is parting for Breida, he ain't hitting it too fast. Breida had a nice 2 carries last night.  Before we say he should be taking more snaps maybe we should look at how the defense was lined up on those plays and why those runs were successful.

2)  Barkley is a big part of the reason that some of DeVito's  runs were successful last night.  When Devito put the ball in Barkleys gut the defenders flocked to him and left huge holes when Devito kept it instead.  It doesn't show up in a stat line, but Barkley's presence is very much a factor in the success of some of these plays.

DaveBrown74

I had more fun as a Giants fan last night than I have had in a long time. That means something to me. I really don't know what DeVito's future is. At the end of the day he seems like he's more of a game manager type than a guy who takes games into his hands and plays with a truly swashbuckling downfield style the way Eli did in his best years. Having said that, he made some legitimately nice throws in big moments last night, and he showed escapability and tremendous poise.

Put yourself in his shoes. The kid is dealing with a Linsanity type fever right now. It would be easy for an undrafted rookie to find that overwhelming and maybe try to do too much and be error prone. But he's not. He is keeping his wits about him and just getting the job done. I'm definitely impressed with him relative to my expectations. That doesn't mean anyone is saying he's Joe Burrow.

President Rick

Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

Jolly Blue Giant

Comparing Tommy Devito to Jeremy Lin might be the most perfect analogy I've ever seen on this board. "Linsanity" took over NY like nothing I've ever seen...more hoopla than when the Knicks got Mello  =D>

Lin came out of nowhere and delivered something the team had been missing for years. Not sure Devito has garnered quite the amount of attention and adoration as Lin, but what a great analogy
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Jclayton92

Quote from: T200 on December 12, 2023, 10:06:10 AMJ,

You are reeeaaaalllly selling this kid short. Let me ask you this: if Jones played the entire game last night, do the Giants win?
No we absolutely lose with Jones at Qb. I'm not trying to downplay Devito. He played a solid game but that was just it solid, and has been solid for 3 weeks which is great and fun to watch but it still isn't great or even elite Qb play.

Solid isn't bad, he just didn't lose us the game like Jones typically does. He made a few necessary plays at the right time to get us there which is great but if an elite Qb was facing that packers team last night they would have picked them apart aided by the turnovers from our defense.

TDToomer

Jones also wins this game. He beat the Packers with Rodgers a year ago.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 12, 2023, 10:03:01 AMBesides the solid QB play, TD has been the catalyst to a team of sad sacks depressed and floundering. His leadership has inspired the team and the coaches. Your confirmation bias is coming out with every one of these posts. You can't even give him credit for the improvement in his game since the day he got here. No sacks, no turnovers last night. Gains like 80 yards with his legs and makes key completions, while Kafka held him in check.
Ed I said he had a solid game, I'm not going to swoon over 158 yards. Yes he did what he needed to do and I thoroughly enjoyed watching the game. However that doesn't change the reality that we need an elite Qb. Yes we won 3 games but 2 of them were under 200 yards passing. We might as well be rolling the clocks back to last year and having the same conversation. Daboll and Kafka masking the Qb play and the Defense winning games for us all the while everyone gives the credit to Jones and now Devito.

Daboll is a good enough coach that we'll likely win 8 games regardless of who the Qb is but we need elite Qb play to win consistently and we don't have that on the roster currently. Yes we have a great story, but not an elite qb play.

T200

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 12, 2023, 10:27:16 AMNo we absolutely lose with Jones at Qb. I'm not trying to downplay Devito. He played a solid game but that was just it solid, and has been solid for 3 weeks which is great and fun to watch but it still isn't great or even elite Qb play.

Solid isn't bad, he just didn't lose us the game line Jones typically does. He made a few necessary plays at the right time to get us there which is great but if an elite Qb was facing that packers team last night they would have picked them apart aided by the turnovers from our defense.
Oh man, I was hoping someone would bring that up. I think I can safely say that Patrick Mahomes is widely regarded as the best QB in football. Elite. Two weeks ago, the Chiefs hosted this same Packers team in prime time and lost.

Mahomes
21/33 210  1 TD  1 INT

Touchdown Tommy
17/21 158  1 TD  0 INT

OK, I think I get your stance. DeVito isn't elite and I agree. He may never be.

There are QBs that you can win with and QBs you can win because of. Jones is a QB you can win with if everything else around him is working. DeVito is a QB you can win because of who he is and how he plays. Elite or not, the kid is a winner.

The confidence he has in his arm and those throws he made on the run last night are not pedestrian throws. Those were Mahomes/Allen-type throws. He was a little shaky to start the game but settled down and played very well.

Keep in mind, he was still having to navigate a subpar effort in pass protection and make plays. And he did just that.

I don't care that he isn't considered 'elite'... the kid knows how to win. I'm not comparing him to Eli but that same 'elite' issue was brought up in 2007. Eli was asked if he thought he was elite and he said 'Yes' and the internet had a collective laugh.

I'll enjoy Tommy's run for as long as it lasts. For the record, if I'm Joe Schoen, I'd still draft a QB if he is within reasonable reach.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on December 12, 2023, 10:29:35 AMJones also wins this game. He beat the Packers with Rodgers a year ago.

Fair point. That was on a neutral too. He didn't have the entire stadium screaming his name with adoration.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 12, 2023, 10:39:15 AMEd I said he had a solid game, I'm not going to swoon over 158 yards. Yes he did what he needed to do and I thoroughly enjoyed watching the game. However that doesn't change the reality that we need an elite Qb. Yes we won 3 games but 2 of them were under 200 yards passing. We might as well be rolling the clocks back to last year and having the same conversation. Daboll and Kafka masking the Qb play and the Defense winning games for us all the while everyone gives the credit to Jones and now Devito.

Daboll is a good enough coach that we'll likely win 8 games regardless of who the Qb is but we need elite Qb play to win consistently and we don't have that on the roster currently. Yes we have a great story, but not an elite qb play.
So it was ok to bring DJ along slowly most of last season until teams took away the run but not for Tommy in his 5th start in this league? I would even take away that Jets game because he wasn't allowed to throw so make that four starts. He's slated for 27 touchdowns in a 17 game season and his last three games he's averaging a 117 passer rating and 66 completion percentage. They paid Jones 40 million for this...
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 12, 2023, 10:39:15 AMEd I said he had a solid game, I'm not going to swoon over 158 yards. Yes he did what he needed to do and I thoroughly enjoyed watching the game. However that doesn't change the reality that we need an elite Qb. Yes we won 3 games but 2 of them were under 200 yards passing. We might as well be rolling the clocks back to last year and having the same conversation. Daboll and Kafka masking the Qb play and the Defense winning games for us all the while everyone gives the credit to Jones and now Devito.

This is what you said.

You are so lost in the moment that you are not realizing that we won last night because of the defense. We are on a 3 game winning streak because of the defense, and the only thing Devito did was not mess it up.

Total team effort and Tommy played a key role. He didn't just not lose the game.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 12, 2023, 10:27:16 AMNo we absolutely lose with Jones at Qb. I'm not trying to downplay Devito. He played a solid game but that was just it solid, and has been solid for 3 weeks which is great and fun to watch but it still isn't great or even elite Qb play.

Solid isn't bad, he just didn't lose us the game like Jones typically does. He made a few necessary plays at the right time to get us there which is great but if an elite Qb was facing that packers team last night they would have picked them apart aided by the turnovers from our defense.

Jess - 99% of good QBs do not perform in their 4th game playing in the NFL what this kid did in his 4th game.  If he "managed the game efficiently" in his 4th game, did not throw any INTs, avoided sacks, hit on key passes, that is a damn good game for a player with so little experience.  I think you need to stop thinking that unless he plays like Patrick Mahommes in his 25th game, it means the Giants need a QB.  We dont know anything yet to be honest.

What I want to see is how he performs after he has a bad game.

He is developing.  Keep that in mind.

BluesCruz

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 12, 2023, 09:54:21 AMYou are so lost in the moment that you are not realizing that we won last night because of the defense. We are on a 3 game winning streak because of the defense, and the only thing Devito did was not mess it up.

We need elite Qb play so that we can actually start winning football games because of the Qb not despite them.

Great story, lots of fun, but this is basically the football version Lin-Sanity.

You guys are something else....cant accept prosperity
must be voodoo

DeVito is a winner.   Was in High School, Was in College
He told his on field interviewer last night

"Listen....Ive been playing this game a long time"
(As in, I am confident and I have honed my craft  before getting here)
I didnt just arrive on a pumpkin wagon

This is why I compared him to another Italian- Joe Montana- both are/were cool as a cucumber
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Jclayton92

Quote from: T200 on December 12, 2023, 10:42:02 AMOh man, I was hoping someone would bring that up. I think I can safely say that Patrick Mahomes is widely regarded as the best QB in football. Elite. Two weeks ago, the Chiefs hosted this same Packers team in prime time and lost.

Mahomes
21/33 210  1 TD  1 INT

Touchdown Tommy
17/21 158  1 TD  0 INT

OK, I think I get your stance. DeVito isn't elite and I agree. He may never be.

There are QBs that you can win with and QBs you can win because of. Jones is a QB you can win with if everything else around him is working. DeVito is a QB you can win because of who he is and how he plays. Elite or not, the kid is a winner.

The confidence he has in his arm and those throws he made on the run last night are not pedestrian throws. Those were Mahomes/Allen-type throws. He was a little shaky to start the game but settled down and played very well.

Keep in mind, he was still having to navigate a subpar effort in pass protection and make plays. And he did just that.

I don't care that he isn't considered 'elite'... the kid knows how to win. I'm not comparing him to Eli but that same 'elite' issue was brought up in 2007. Eli was asked if he thought he was elite and he said 'Yes' and the internet had a collective laugh.

I'll enjoy Tommy's run for as long as it lasts. For the record, if I'm Joe Schoen, I'd still draft a QB if he is within reasonable reach.
Spot on, I am having as much fun as anyone and I am enjoying the winning and the story but that doesn't take away from the fact that I realize we need a QB1 and realistically I don't think that person is on the roster currently.