News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Seriously, lets get behind Tommy DeVito and stop the Doubting Thomas narrative

Started by BluesCruz, December 12, 2023, 07:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

I don't think Jess is slamming the guy or being unreasonably negative. I think he's being a circumspect fan and not getting out over his skis. I think his point is that it's very difficult, if not close to impossible, to win championships in today's NFL without elite or near elite QB play. Does anyone here disagree with that?

Obviously we're not close to winning championships right now, but that doesn't mean it should not be the long term goal. I would concur with the general strategic view that if you don't have an elite QB, you should continue to look for one until you do. And what you should never do is pay meaningful 2nd contract money to a mediocre QB. That's how you become the Tannehill Titans or the Cousins Vikes, and those QBs were actually better than mediocre in their primes. And while those teams did make the playoffs in their good years, they were never on anyone's radar as being Super Bowl caliber. Same with the Dalton Bengals. If that's your end game goal, then fine, but given we are a franchise whose high points over the past several decades have been championships, we should have greater aspirations than just being a solid, respectable but not great team.

So, if I'm understanding Jess correctly, he is not tearing down what DeVito has done so far. He is simply making the broad point that you just about cannot win titles with a middle of the road QB, especially one that isn't on a rookie contract. So while DeVito may figure into the future now as a backup or even low cost starter for a period of time, it is unlikely that we have an elite QB on our hands. Is it a zero percent chance? No, perhaps not, but I think it's fair to say it's unlikely.

And as far as our recent wins, yes, it feels great to win games, but prior to last night we beat a Commanders team that turned the ball over to us six times and a horrid Pats team that turned it over three times and missed a 35 yard chip shot to tie it up with no time on the clock. DeVito played ok in those games, but he wasn't playing at any sort of exceptional level.

I have said repeatedly that I am enjoying this ride, and I love the DeVito story and am excited to see where it can go, but that does not change the reality that you're putting a pretty low ceiling on your topside as a franchise if you lock yourself into a QB who is middle of the road. I get that we don't know exactly what DeVito is yet for sure, but until the front office believes they have their 10 year future QB on the roster, I doubt they'll just drop their interest in the position.

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 12, 2023, 01:06:45 PMI don't think Jess is slamming the guy or being unreasonably negative. I think he's being a circumspect fan and not getting out over his skis. I think his point is that it's very difficult, if not close to impossible, to win championships in today's NFL without elite or near elite QB play. Does anyone here disagree with that?

Obviously we're not close to winning championships right now, but that doesn't mean it should not be the long term goal. I would concur with the general strategic view that if you don't have an elite QB, you should continue to look for one until you do. And what you should never do is pay meaningful 2nd contract money to a mediocre QB. That's how you become the Tannehill Titans or the Cousins Vikes, and those QBs were actually better than mediocre in their primes. And while those teams did make the playoffs in their good years, they were never on anyone's radar as being Super Bowl caliber. Same with the Dalton Bengals. If that's your end game goal, then fine, but given we are a franchise whose high points over the past several decades have been championships, we should have greater aspirations than just being a solid, respectable but not great team.

So, if I'm understanding Jess correctly, he is not tearing down what DeVito has done so far. He is simply making the broad point that you just about cannot win titles with a middle of the road QB, especially one that isn't on a rookie contract. So while DeVito may figure into the future now as a backup or even low cost starter for a period of time, it is unlikely that we have an elite QB on our hands. Is it a zero percent chance? No, perhaps not, but I think it's fair to say it's unlikely.

And as far as our recent wins, yes, it feels great to win games, but prior to last night we beat a Commanders team that turned the ball over to us six times and a horrid Pats team that turned it over three times and missed a 35 yard chip shot to tie it up with no time on the clock. DeVito played ok in those games, but he wasn't playing at any sort of exceptional level.

I have said repeatedly that I am enjoying this ride, and I love the DeVito story and am excited to see where it can go, but that does not change the reality that you're putting a pretty low ceiling on your topside as a franchise if you lock yourself into a QB who is middle of the road. I get that we don't know exactly what DeVito is yet for sure, but until the front office believes they have their 10 year future QB on the roster, I doubt they'll just drop their interest in the position.
Excellent post. DeVito has been the feel good story for the Giants this not so feel good season. We'll take it as fans. I think and hope, however, that Schoen evaluates players not based on a few games, but keeping his eye on the long term goal that should be competing for championships year in and year out. To do that, as DB said, you need not just solid, but elite QB play. I hope that is the Giants organization's goal. It might seem foolish now based on a handful of games where your QB didn't turn the ball over, managed the game well, and showed spunk and determination, to ignore a QB in the draft. Whatever comes from DeVito in the long term is a bonus. The reality is, at least I hope, that Jones, healthy or not, will only be a Giant for one more year. So unless you think for sure DeVito can be an elite QB in the NFL, you need to look for one elsewhere if you want to get to that more rarefied level. 

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 12, 2023, 01:06:45 PMI don't think Jess is slamming the guy or being unreasonably negative. I think he's being a circumspect fan and not getting out over his skis. I think his point is that it's very difficult, if not close to impossible, to win championships in today's NFL without elite or near elite QB play. Does anyone here disagree with that?

Correct, absolutely love the story and love that we are winning. I am however realistic when I look at the NFL right now and every team that is competitive year in and year out has a top 10 Qb and we don't have that.

The Giants are playing the same ball they did last year with Jones currently with Devito. Limit mistakes, completions that are quick and easy.. that's all great and Devito made a great throw to Hodgins and WanDale last night. Just because we are on a streak and winning doesn't mean our needs change..

Do you think Tyrod wins the last 3 games? I do personally if he played, would the fan base then be saying we don't need a qb because tyrod won those 3 games? I don't think so, so then why would it change with Devito?

StompYouOT

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 12, 2023, 09:54:21 AMYou are so lost in the moment that you are not realizing that we won last night because of the defense. We are on a 3 game winning streak because of the defense, and the only thing Devito did was not mess it up.

We need elite Qb play so that we can actually start winning football games because of the Qb not despite them.

Great story, lots of fun, but this is basically the football version Lin-Sanity.

I see it differently. Yeah the defense is our strength but this guy makes plays to score touchdowns and makes plays to close games. He is a much better passer and decision maker than Jones. Plus the team responds to him. Personally I find him very fun to cheer for and love watching The Giants again. Look at the crowd enjoying it.

I doubt he's the next Brady, that's wishful thinking most likely. But what about the next Jake Delhomme or Ryan Fitzpatrick?? That could b3 a good thing. Forget Williams and Maye at this point. Just build around him for next year and see where it goes

Ed Vette

Quote from: StompYouOT on December 12, 2023, 01:37:36 PMI see it differently. Yeah the defense is our strength but this guy makes plays to score touchdowns and makes plays to close games. He is a much better passer and decision maker than Jones. Plus the team responds to him. Personally I find him very fun to cheer for and love watching The Giants again. Look at the crowd enjoying it.

I doubt he's the next Brady, that's wishful thinking most likely. But what about the next Jake Delhomme or Ryan Fitzpatrick?? That could b3 a good thing. Forget Williams and Maye at this point. Just build around him for next year and see where it goes
Actually Jordon Love played so badly under the same conditions in the first half that a top ten QB would have carved up the Giants Defense last night. Which would have been interesting to see if the training wheels would come off for Tommy and let him air it out playing from behind. Credit the Defense for keeping them in the game the second half. They sure as hell didn't win this one on their own. Good team effort.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Lance Medow: If there's one statistic that explains why the Giants were productive on offense and finished drives against the Packers, it's zero sacks allowed with only two quarterback hits. What a difference it makes when you avoid negative plays. That's a huge reason the Giants orchestrated a pair of touchdown drives for 75 yards. Tommy DeVito and company didn't lose any yardage on the first eight-play drive that resulted in a score, and only had to overcome a false start penalty on the second as well as a one-yard loss on a Saquon Barkley run. That possession lasted 10 plays. They faced two third downs and reached the end zone on one of those plays. The Giants were three of four in the red zone, whereas the Packers were two of five. Here's the biggest difference: Jordan Love was sacked twice in that area compared to DeVito, who remained upright.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Quote from: StompYouOT on December 12, 2023, 01:37:36 PMI see it differently. Yeah the defense is our strength but this guy makes plays to score touchdowns and makes plays to close games. He is a much better passer and decision maker than Jones. Plus the team responds to him. Personally I find him very fun to cheer for and love watching The Giants again. Look at the crowd enjoying it.

The problem is that a Jake Delhomme or Ryan Fitzpatrick doesn't win you super bowls in the modern NFL. You have to have a top 10 guy and even if you do it's still super hard. To even be in the conversation though you need Elite.

Ed Vette

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 12, 2023, 02:20:13 PMThe problem is that a Jake Delhomme or Ryan Fitzpatrick doesn't win you super bowls in the modern NFL. You have to have a top 10 guy and even if you do it's still super hard. To even be in the conversation though you need Elite.

Agreed.

Of course, let's say we're picking 10th and Daniels, Williams, and Maye are all long gone. While I share the view that you need an elite or near-elite QB to contend for Super Bowls, I don't want us to force the pick with someone we're only meh on. I don't think anyone wants that. So we may be in a position where we all agree that DeVito might not be the long term solution, but he might still be the best QB on our team. At the moment, just four starts into his career, it would appear that is already the case.

If we don't draft a QB this year I suspect they'll still sign some other veteran into the system, but there may be a scenario where, even though we agree about the need for aspiring to have an elite QB, we may not be adding anyone interesting next year. Winning these last three games has forced us into that reality. I don't want the Giants to draft a Bo Nix or JJ McCarthy if they don't genuinely believe they are looking at an elite level prospect. I'd rather take a stud receiver or premium defensive guy or trade down.

Bottom line we need to see how these last four games go.

Ed Vette

So now our Think Tank is predicting Tommy DeVito will turn into a Jake Delhomme or Ryan Fitzpatrick who can get the Giants to the SB but can't win it because he's clearly demonstrated that after 5 games, he's never gonna be an Elite QB.

Although I'm sure they checked with Chat GPT.

Yup, you can't make this xxxx up folks!

:-??
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 12, 2023, 02:41:30 PMSo now our Think Tank is predicting Tommy DeVito will turn into a Jake Delhomme or Ryan Fitzpatrick who can get the Giants to the SB but can't win it because he's clearly demonstrated that after 5 games, he's never gonna be an Elite QB.

Although I'm sure they checked with Chat GPT.

Yup, you can't make this xxxx up folks!

:-??

One of my pet peeves is comparing athletes to athletes...especially in analyzing prospects. Every human being is distinct and unique - period, end of story. The book on Devito hasn't been written yet. None of us know what he'll blossom into over the next few years. The one thing we do know for a fact, is that he won't turn into someone else - it's his mindset, his body, his mental acumen and the way he sees the game, etc., that is who he is. We can do nothing but sit back and watch. He could bust, he could become adequate, he could become good, or he could become great. We don't know anything other than in the end, he will still be Tommy Devito and he's writing his own story
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on December 12, 2023, 03:43:36 PMOne of my pet peeves is comparing athletes to athletes...especially in analyzing prospects. Every human being is distinct and unique - period, end of story. The book on Devito hasn't been written yet. None of us know what he'll blossom into over the next few years. The one thing we do know for a fact, is that he won't turn into someone else - it's his mindset, his body, his mental acumen and the way he sees the game, etc., that is who he is. We can do nothing but sit back and watch. He could bust, he could become adequate, he could become good, or he could become great. We don't know anything other than in the end, he will still be Tommy Devito and he's writing his own story
Well said.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Painter

If you are a tried and true Giants fan, you root for and support whomever has the task of lining up behind the Center and calling signals. Of course, it should go without saying that rooting for one doesn't call for dissing another.

In any case, let's not get carried away and add pressure to Tommy after 3 straight wins as we did not do to Danny after five in a row, early last year. And as Knicks fans, let's not do a Jeremy Lin. That won't do nobody no good.

Cheers!

MagicRat

Smell my cheese you mother!

MagicRat

I think the key point is Tommy is a feel good story.
And by God, ten games in, did we need a feel good story.
He's a likeable, tough competitor who's doing his damndest to squeeze every ounce from what God gave him.
He seems to have a close knit family of characters.

When I use my head,  I see him as an undrafted free agent working for a career back up job.

When I use my heart,  I see Scorsesse directing his life story in a movie a la Kurt Warner.

The true story is quite possibly someplace in-between.

But any Giants whose heart isn't warmed by what's going on right now needs to take a look at themselves and ask why they root for any sports team.

Hopefully we'll build to be a Superbowl winning team again in my lifetime, but who knows.

Until we climb those lofty peaks, let's have some fun at least!
We could be watching Jake Fromm doing a sneak on third and long.
Smell my cheese you mother!