News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Most disappointing player of the 2023 season??

Started by B1GBLUE, December 16, 2023, 02:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B1GBLUE

who is your vote for biggest disappointment? you can pick one player who was injured, and one who wasnt.

injured- obviously waller. we had huge hopes for this guy to be a dominant force and he basically hobbled his way through what little he played. sat out the rest. close second here for ojulari.

not injured- daniel bellinger. this guy was supposed to explode this year. and had a huge opportunity to do so when waller went down. hes done nothing. could be a schematic thing. but the way our O operates, he should be putting up at least 5/50 every game.

DaveBrown74

Easily Neal for me. I was hoping (though not confident) that his rookie year was just a rough start to the NFL and that he'd improve this year. Instead he has continued to stink, he has continued to be brittle, and he totally insulted the fans. Just an all-around disaster.

gregf

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 16, 2023, 02:59:11 PMEasily Neal for me. I was hoping (though not confident) that his rookie year was just a rough start to the NFL and that he'd improve this year. Instead he has continued to stink, he has continued to be brittle, and he totally insulted the fans. Just an all-around disaster.

For sure. We still don't know what this high resource value is going forward to help out weakest unit.  RT, gaurd, back up? As of now, I think we sign a decent value FA with RT/ gaurd flex.

spiderblue43

Bellinger is a good one. Perhaps they invested too much planning into Waller at his expense. He looks slower, though.

Neal wins this award easily..however. Simply no progress or focus you feel is coming from him. Phillips is better. Yikes. Then..there is Daniel Jones. Lost..errand..confused and crushed in short order. He was terrible.

Trench

jgrangers2

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 16, 2023, 02:59:11 PMEasily Neal for me. I was hoping (though not confident) that his rookie year was just a rough start to the NFL and that he'd improve this year. Instead he has continued to stink, he has continued to be brittle, and he totally insulted the fans. Just an all-around disaster.

Gotta be the obvious choice. He's shown absolutely no signs of being an NFL tackle.

MightyGiants

Evan Neal-  had he just lived up to his drafted slot, this season would have gone differently
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

I don't think Neal has even played a full 16 games yet so I'm ok with him not leaping off the page and being a superstar just yet. I still think he ends up being a dependable starter with new coaching.

I can't say Jones because I never had high hopes for him previously so there was really no way for him to disappoint me.

I'll go with Mckinney as after the end of 2021 most of us all thought we had a ballhawk on our hands and were excites for his growth. 2022 he didn't have any ints but he was learning Winks system but more importantly was doing the dirty work of usually covering the team we played best players. I remember last season him putting a lid on Henry, CMC, and the Vikings TE in the playoffs and thinking we really had something despite his injuries. Now turn to this year and he's done nothing.

DaveBrown74

I think Jones is a fair answer, because even if you weren't high on his potential, in 2022 he managed to stay healthy and managed to at least be a serviceable game manager type in a training wheels style offense and lead the team to a 9-7-1 record and a playoff win. While that should not represent the zenith of anyone's aspirations for a $40mm a year QB or the team he plays for, it was clearly better than anything he had done in the past.

This season however he played absolutely terribly and then suffered two serious injuries. The idea of his maybe having gotten past his penchant for constantly getting hurt was eradicated this season in a dramatic way, and he also played at a truly dismal level prior to getting hurt. And then it was insult added to injury for him to get outplayed first by a journeyman backup in his twilight years and then by an undrafted walk-on rookie with zero NFL experience, both playing behind the same offensive line.

Definitely a highly disappointing season for Jones for multiple reasons.

The nice thing for Jones of course is that he still gets to be a pretty rich man, despite all of the above.

SUPERSEE

not in any particular order: Dabol Jones Neal Ojulari

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philosophers

Evan Neal and it is not close.  I thought he was ready to be Jack Conklin.  Now more like Jack in the Box.

Stringer Bell

Evan Neal by a mile. He's a complete bust. I'm willing to say right now there is no salvaging him as an NFL OT.

Bellinger was so overrated by the fan base coming off his rookie year. Not sure why so many were expecting some big leap, but this is who Bellinger is.

Ed Vette

The one player who if played up to expectations would have changed the season is Daniel Jones. I have to ask myself if Jones would have won the last three games and I can't say yes for certainty.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

BluesCruz

#1.    Daniel Jones-  Obvious- not a starter, should be a backup.  Got paid and regressed
Does not possess a natural feel for QB and not able to rally the troops

Honorable Mentions

Evan Neal-  Did anyone bother to ask if he could block before drafting
Paris Campbell-  Riche James replacement Ugggg. My Vote for worst Free Agent pickup of Century
Saquon Barkley- Overpaid, Cannot get the tough yards- not his fault he is not rotated
Tyrod Taylor- Overpaid, Handing a victory to the Bills, an injury looking to happen
Jason Pinnock- Should learn to wrap up a runner, poor tackling, good pass defender
Waller- should spend some time before games getting those hammies massaged by the training staff

All these but Pinnock should be cut or traded.  Jones can be #1 Backup to DeVito next year if we cannot find a willing trader

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

I don't view Waller as a disappointment. He is only a disappointment if you had unrealistic expectations.

Basically, if you looked at his career and decided to use his 2019 and 2020 seasons as your baseline expectation for him, rather than his 2021 and 2022 seasons, then yes, you'd be disappointed. But clearly that wouldn't have been very logical.

We got what we paid for with Waller, simple as that. He has not disappointed if your expectations were realistic. He is what he is at this point.