News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Most disappointing player of the 2023 season??

Started by B1GBLUE, December 16, 2023, 02:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: B1GBLUE on December 18, 2023, 12:09:11 PMTo be fair he was playing out of position most of the few games he played.

True, but it wasn't like he was playing well when he was at guard.  He failed to win a guard job in camp.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

As I said earlier, Neal is also my answer. But let's not forget- as we are so willing and able to do- that we were quite pleased and on board when Schoen/Daboll chose him with the 7th overall. Indeed, there were some here who were surprised that they didn't grab Neal with their No.5. Of course, our only real skill in such matters is in second-guessing.

Cheers!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Painter on December 18, 2023, 12:24:56 PMAs I said earlier, Neal is also my answer. But let's not forget- as we are so willing and able to do- that we were quite pleased and on board when Schoen/Daboll chose him with the 7th overall. Indeed, there were some here who were surprised that they didn't grab Neal with their No.5. Of course, our only real skill in such matters is in second-guessing.

Cheers!

Ikem Ekwonu (drafted 6th by the Panthers) was the other O-linemen many favored. He currently has a  62.3 PFF grade compared to Neal's 39.8.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

miss86

Daniel Jones was my biggest disappointment. Although, I should not have been surprised. I didn't want the Giants to pay him 40Mil per season. I didn't think showed he was good enough in the passing game LY. He won mostly with his legs.

The 1st game against the Cowplops this season, I knew, just watching his face and body language that he was in panic mode from the beginning (I thought: "who could blame him with that OL"). But as the game went on, I realized he just doesn't have it. I was very disappointed with his play and command of the offense.

Painter

Quote from: miss86 on December 18, 2023, 12:51:30 PMDaniel Jones was my biggest disappointment. Although, I should not have been surprised. I didn't want the Giants to pay him 40Mil per season. I didn't think showed he was good enough in the passing game LY. He won mostly with his legs.

The 1st game against the Cowplops this season, I knew, just watching his face and body language that he was in panic mode from the beginning (I thought: "who could blame him with that OL"). But as the game went on, I realized he just doesn't have it. I was very disappointed with his play and command of the offense.

I'm not a 100% there yet, but you could well be right, Chris. I'm starting to wonder why Schoen/Daboll didn't just tag DJ and roll the dice with Saquon while hoping that another team wouldn't then outbid them. But so much for wisdom after the fact. Bah!

Cheers!

miss86

Quote from: Painter on December 18, 2023, 04:08:03 PMI'm not a 100% there yet, but you could well be right, Chris. I'm starting to wonder why Schoen/Daboll didn't just tag DJ and roll the dice with Saquon while hoping that another team wouldn't then outbid them. But so much for wisdom after the fact. Bah!

Cheers!

I think the reason they didn't tag him is because I believe there would of been a ~32mil hit on the cap. They could have just let him test the market, but that was too big of a risk. They were between a rock and a hard spot. I really thought DJ was worth around 20-25mil.

Painter

Quote from: miss86 on December 18, 2023, 04:35:48 PMI think the reason they didn't tag him is because I believe there would of been a ~32mil hit on the cap. They could have just let him test the market, but that was too big of a risk. They were between a rock and a hard spot. I really thought DJ was worth around 20-25mil.

Right you are. Yeah, I s'pose so.

Cheers!

LennG

I don't say Jones because I never expected anything from him besides mediocre so why be disappointed when he achieves that.

I know the thread says player and that has to be Neal, but if I could I would send a huge vote in for Daboll. There hd e been way too many games this year when the Giants just weren't prepared to play or were just lazy in their play and that is all on the head coach. He has also been out coached far too many times by mediocre coaches.
He shone last year but this year he needs to feel the heat. He has been just awful as a motivator and as a game time head coach.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

B1GBLUE

Quote from: LennG on December 18, 2023, 10:09:14 PMI don't say Jones because I never expected anything from him besides mediocre so why be disappointed when he achieves that.

I know the thread says player and that has to be Neal, but if I could I would send a huge vote in for Daboll. There hd e been way too many games this year when the Giants just weren't prepared to play or were just lazy in their play and that is all on the head coach. He has also been out coached far too many times by mediocre coaches.
He shone last year but this year he needs to feel the heat. He has been just awful as a motivator and as a game time head coach.

i agree about daboll. at the end of the day, given all position coaches, personnel, its still his job to get it all in order. i think one thing a great coach does it make great adjustments. so far, he seems incapable of doing that. he deserves another year, but if we dont see some serious improvements in terms of preparation and effort next year, his seat will be red hot.