News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Randy Muller things this QB is worth watching on January 1

Started by MightyGiants, December 23, 2023, 08:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Jan. 1 — Rose Bowl (CFP semifinal): Alabama vs. Michigan

Player to watch: J.J. McCarthy, QB (9), Michigan (6-3, 202)
The third-year college QB has yet to commit to returning or entering the draft. He can't even commit to legally ordering a beer, as he doesn't turn 21 until Jan. 20. But the film does not lie, and his skill set might challenge for the best in this year's QB class, even perhaps with Caleb Williams. If he has a highlight playoff performance against the greatest college coach and the Crimson Tide defense, it might just change the landscape at the top of the NFL Draft. And, yes, I'm talking about the very top. McCarthy has the size, athletic ability and arm to go with accuracy, backing up his 74.2 percent completion rate this year with career marks of 46 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. If his intangibles check out, and I have no reason to think they won't, his ability to get the ball out from the pocket and on the run will give NFL decision-makers something to really consider as to whether he's a legit franchise QB. Because he is only three years removed from high school, many in NFL circles have not studied his film yet. The offense is basic, but a positive national TV exposure in college playoff games would send GMs and offensive coaches to the film room. The drop-dead date for underclassmen to declare is Jan 15.

https://theathletic.com/5153092/2023/12/21/nfl-draft-prospects-college-bowls-jj-mccarthy/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

gregf

Thanks for the update Rich.  I think Jclay mentioned him before as well.  It would be nice to pick top 6 with 4 solid QBs in play.

spiderblue43

I saw McCarthy only twice with Harbaugh being out. They played it close to the vest mostly..running often.

He might be better off staying in school for his senior year. He's certainly promising, however. Seems to check all the boxes. I'd like to see him take over a game in a big spot.