News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Sterling Shepard

Started by MightyGiants, January 06, 2024, 02:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TDToomer

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on January 07, 2024, 05:13:18 PMIf I recall correctly, the guys Banks used to talk about as scholarship guys were guys like Ximines, Hosley, Jernigan, Brewer, Cooper Taylor. Guys like that. Banks doesn't share info like this anymore so it's hard to know where he really stands on this new generation of young players.

There was also the Jonathan Stewart fiasco where a washed player was paid over 3 million to be a locker room informant.

You aren't going to find a lot of examples of players being paid to not play (who aren't being developed). What they did with Sterling Shepard this year amounts to a parting gift. This, I think, is unusual in the NFL.

None of those players ever got extended from my recollection nor did they even matter much.

Stewart was another bad Gettleman signing and I have already expressed my hatred of him.

There aren't more examples like Shepard because they don't exist! you can keep this going and I will counter with facts.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Doc16LT56

Quote from: TDToomer on January 07, 2024, 05:18:59 PMNone of those players ever got extended from my recollection nor did they even matter much.

Stewart was another bad Gettleman signing and I have already expressed my hatred of him.

There aren't more examples like Shepard because they don't exist! you can keep this going and I will counter with facts.
You're just saying anything. I never said they were extended. I said they were kept on the roster for multiple seasons despite not earning it.

The reason the Shepard example is so egregious is because is isn't supposed to be done, that's why there aren't examples of the Shepard idiocy. Why is this so difficult for you to grasp?

Philosophers

Wan'Dale Robinson is what I thought Sheppard would be.

TDToomer

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on January 07, 2024, 05:23:44 PMYou're just saying anything. I never said they were extended. I said they were kept on the roster for multiple seasons despite not earning it.

The reason the Shepard example is so egregious is because is isn't supposed to be done, that's why there aren't examples of the Shepard idiocy. Why is this so difficult for you to grasp?

Teams don't like to give up on drafted talent so easily. Holsey was a decent player as was Ximenes. If someone would have beaten them out in training camp they would have been cut. Now except for Ximenes those players Banks pointed out were Jerry Reese players. We're talking 2 GM regimes ago.

Shepard was kept in case Robinson never broke out and Hyatt was a bust. When both players became starting receivers there was no room for more snaps for Shepard. So we lost Cole Beasley and David Sills. Where are they now? They player who shouldn't have been signed was Parris Campbell.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Trench

I always felt Shep was a good Giant. On field he made some costly drops and many times wouldn't quite get to the marker on his route which was frustrating - but he's a gamer and hopefully has a future with the organization

Doc16LT56

Quote from: TDToomer on January 07, 2024, 05:32:08 PMTeams don't like to give up on drafted talent so easily. Holsey was a decent player as was Ximenes. If someone would have beaten them out in training camp they would have been cut. Now except for Ximenes those players Banks pointed out were Jerry Reese players. We're talking 2 GM regimes ago.

Shepard was kept in case Robinson never broke out and Hyatt was a bust. When both players became starting receivers there was no room for more snaps for Shepard. So we lost Cole Beasley and David Sills. Where are they now? They player who shouldn't have been signed was Parris Campbell.
It's like talking to the wall...

TDToomer

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on January 07, 2024, 05:37:21 PMIt's like talking to the wall...

Wall, meet wall. Wall, meet wall.

drakew

filthy beagles now down but notout...
"The future ain't what it used to be-" Yogi Berra

Bob In PA

Maybe the Giants will have a coaching (or other organizational) position to offer him. Give it a few days. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Bob In PA on January 08, 2024, 09:08:13 AMMaybe the Giants will have a coaching (or other organizational) position to offer him. Give it a few days. Bob

I could see Shep staying on as an Asst Coach!  Last year once injured many players commented on how Shep would help them during practices and games.  Respected Vet and man.  Wouldn't be a bad move!

I like Shep.  When healthy he did right by the Gmen and made some great plays!  His body didn't hold up.  Wan is coming into that roll strong!  It's time to move on.

Fletch

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 07, 2024, 08:24:23 AMI think that is probably a reasonable assumption to make.

I suspect Schoen/Daboll have a tacit policy amongst themselves of "picking their battles" with Mara. If they throw him a bone on relatively small things like keeping Shep and not firing McGaughey, maybe they think that gives them more latitude on some of the bigger things like not caving to Barkley.

To your point though, the Shepard thing wasn't that small of a thing. Having Crowder or James there instead of him would have made a difference.

Caving to Barkley is more forgivable than having Shep around. He should have been cut 2 years ago. Also that contract wtf?

I can imagine worse things than overpaying for a RB on a 5 win team.

Ed Vette

It's reported that Sterling Shepard announced his retirement. A great teammate and a man of high character.

Good luck on the next Chapter!
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Looks like he's hanging them up.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

uconnjack8

Best of luck with future endeavors Sterling.

My only comment on the other stuff:  If he was on the roster because the "organization " is overly sentimental,  we know the GM and HC didn't make that decision.

TDToomer

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 09, 2024, 10:06:53 PMBest of luck with future endeavors Sterling.

My only comment on the other stuff:  If he was on the roster because the "organization " is overly sentimental,  we know the GM and HC didn't make that decision.

I disagree. He beat out Sills who is a nobody and Beasley who wasn't healthy enough to play. You could argue he outplayed the worst receiver on the team in Campbell. He just wasn't in the WR rotation.