News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants likely draft slot

Started by MightyGiants, January 06, 2024, 10:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: files58 on January 08, 2024, 12:03:31 AMMontana in the third, Brady in the sixth, Purdy Mr. Irrelevant. It's sometimes not what the "can't miss" prospect has done, but what Daboll etal thinks a prospect who has shown talent can become in his system. I don't want to give up draft capital, there are too many holes. We need some luck.

You forgot Dak Prescott in the 4th round, Jalen Hurts in the second round and Lamar Jackson with the 32nd pick

Painter

I don't think there is any doubt whatever that the Schoen/Daboll Giants expect Daniel Jones to be their starting QB in the coming season as dictated by economic exigency whether or not they share more confidence in him than most here seem to want to process. At this point, we have no idea as to whether they will look to draft his intended successor in Round 1, or more of a contingent addition with one of their 2nds.                                                                               

There is nothing to stop us from deciding who by name should be the new, the next, Giants QB but we might want to leave room for it to be a decision made more like 16 than 4 months from now. I know, I hear you, Bummer!

Cheers!

Jclayton92

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on January 08, 2024, 01:55:03 AMWhat about Cam Ward from Washington State, JJ McCarthy , The QB from Tulanre ?
The 3 are really raw and not day 1 starters.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Jclayton92 on January 08, 2024, 10:46:24 AMThe 3 are really raw and not day 1 starters.

They don't need a Day 1 starter.  They need they future franchise QB.  Jones is on the team next year whether we as fans like it or not.  If you draft someone raw that you think is the right guy, he can sit a year. 

My biggest issue with that idea is that if the team doesn't improve there will be regime change and the new QB will have a different set of coaches in year 2.  But otherwise, I think "ready day 1" is overrated.  I was told Baker Mayfield was the most pro-ready of any QB in his class.  Many also stated he was not the most talented of the group.

Jclayton92

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 08, 2024, 11:13:16 AMThey don't need a Day 1 starter.  They need they future franchise QB.  Jones is on the team next year whether we as fans like it or not.  If you draft someone raw that you think is the right guy, he can sit a year. 

My biggest issue with that idea is that if the team doesn't improve there will be regime change and the new QB will have a different set of coaches in year 2.  But otherwise, I think "ready day 1" is overrated.  I was told Baker Mayfield was the most pro-ready of any QB in his class.  Many also stated he was not the most talented of the group.
I just don't think you can let Jones back on the field. There needs to be an established culture that his horrible play is unacceptable and it doesn't matter how much money he makes. If he plays like trash, which he does then he shouldn't be on the field.

That's why I think we need a day 1 starters, because this offseason will be a failure if Jones has to trot out there at any point next season. Whether that's getting a bridge Qb or drafting one, Jones can't be out there after what tyrod did in his absence.

Obviously just my opinion.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Jclayton92 on January 08, 2024, 12:19:23 PMI just don't think you can let Jones back on the field. There needs to be an established culture that his horrible play is unacceptable and it doesn't matter how much money he makes. If he plays like trash, which he does then he shouldn't be on the field.

That's why I think we need a day 1 starters, because this offseason will be a failure if Jones has to trot out there at any point next season. Whether that's getting a bridge Qb or drafting one, Jones can't be out there after what tyrod did in his absence.

Obviously just my opinion.

I get what you are saying and I don't disagree from a coaching standpoint in particular. Putting a subpar player on the field to satisfy management and/or financials is good way to lose the locker room. 

That being said, I think the reality is going to be that he is on the team and starting (for at least part of) next year if healthy. 

katkavage

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 08, 2024, 12:25:31 PMI get what you are saying and I don't disagree from a coaching standpoint in particular. Putting a subpar player on the field to satisfy management and/or financials is good way to lose the locker room. 

That being said, I think the reality is going to be that he is on the team and starting (for at least part of) next year if healthy. 

Not to mention that playing him is putting the head coach's job at risk. After this season it was so clear that Taylor, a lifer backup, was better than Jones. I'd feel much better if Taylor was the starter, but I don't like that either considering he gets injured as often as Jones does.