News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Wink "resigns" from the Giants

Started by MightyGiants, January 08, 2024, 03:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TONKA56

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 08, 2024, 03:49:52 PMI agree; firing the ST Coordinator and O-line coach was justified.  Wink quitting on you is less than ideal as the baseline is very high (and the disruption of the scheme will cause issues), so replacing Wink will be more like trying to get a DC as good rather than a clear opportunity for an upgrade.

How about Ron Rivera? Of course his style is a 180 from Wink's but fishtail philosophy from year to year seems to be the Giants' MO.

BluesCruz

we are in deep doo doo

no Wink, The poster boy likely returning, the Boy Scout QB returning

Ughhhhhh

I see 0-17 as a possibility

what happened to Chicago after Buddy Ryan left?

They are still reeling 45 yrs later
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

madbadger

I know the knee jerk reaction is to say this reflects poorly on Daboll but I'm not sure it does. When Daboll was hired Martindale was the best defensive coordinator available.

Being an offensive coach the thinking was that he could outsource the defensive side of the ball lightening his work load and making the transition from coordinator to head coach easier. Initial it worked but in the end you can't have two alphas on the staff.

Can't really blame Daboll because from afar it's nearly impossible to get a feel for another coaches day to day personality. I suppose he could have settled for an inferior candidate that he knew but he wanted to give this a go. It's a shame that it didn't work but best of luck to Wink. Hopefully Dabs crushes the next hire. If not I could see the Giants hiring Wink at the end of next year to replace Dabs.

BluesCruz

Time to clear the decks and bring in Belichick

Winks "resignation" may be the tip off
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

uconnjack8

Did Wink really run his scheme this year?  Thought the defense improved when they blitzed less.  Could be totally wrong, but it felt like the scheme went to less of sending more rushers and that's when they turned the corner.

I will be surprised if Wink ends up as a HC

killarich

Damn what a bummer , loved the style of defense .... Hopefully we can get someone who is similar in style

Seemed like the players loved Wink.... Hopefully this isn't mentally damaging

Trench

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 08, 2024, 04:24:00 PMDid Wink really run his scheme this year?  Thought the defense improved when they blitzed less.  Could be totally wrong, but it felt like the scheme went to less of sending more rushers and that's when they turned the corner.

I will be surprised if Wink ends up as a HC

I agree. And I will add, the defense took a hit when Love left and if u think about it, the second half of the season our young safeties really showed promise (Belton/Pinnock)

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: T200 on January 08, 2024, 03:51:29 PMDon't let the doorknob hit ya!

I don't want anyone here that doesn't want to be here.

I'm sad to see him go, but there were rumors several weeks ago that he and Daboll weren't getting along and it kind of showed on the sidelines where Wink rarely spoke to Daboll. The last time Wink seemed happy was when he hugged Schoen for drafting Banks

I think there was a bit of a power struggle going on between him and Daboll and it wouldn't be surprised if they gave him the opportunity to resign rather than fired. But you're right...if he didn't want the role he was paid to do, then that is not good for the team and he (and the team) will be better off in the long run

Geesh, there's a real house cleaning going on - some of it expected...this was not
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

files58

I'm okay with this. Frankly I don't want a defense to rely on schemes. I much prefer mano a mano kick butt. Yesterday there were some plays where KT was 20 yards or so downfield in coverage. He belongs going forward from the LOS after the QB, and around ball carriers. Sometimes they tackled like they learned to do so in a convent. No more Ole, I want ball carriers/receivers to say O'sh$t. Tackle and hit down low.

killarich

Steal Spags from the chiefs !

andrew_nyGiants

Bummer, I really liked the identity he was bringing to this defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Trench

Quote from: killarich on January 08, 2024, 04:35:15 PMSteal Spags from the chiefs !

Antonio Pierce would be nice if he is let go

files58

Here's a WILD thought. Bill Belichick. Here Bill the defense is yours. At 70 years old it may suit his needs now. Daboll worked for and won SB's with him. Instant credibility and respect.

T200

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on January 08, 2024, 04:33:06 PMI'm sad to see him go, but there were rumors several weeks ago that he and Daboll weren't getting along and it kind of showed on the sidelines where Wink rarely spoke to Daboll. The last time Wink seemed happy was when he hugged Schoen for drafting Banks

I think there was a bit of a power struggle going on between him and Daboll and it wouldn't be surprised if they gave him the opportunity to resign rather than fired. But you're right...if he didn't want the role he was paid to do, then that is not good for the team and he (and the team) will be better off in the long run

Geesh, there's a real house cleaning going on - some of it expected...this was not
They presented the opportunity in the form of firing two of his assistant coaches, whom he held in high regard.  :o
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

killarich

Quote from: Trench on January 08, 2024, 04:38:41 PMAntonio Pierce would be nice if he is let go

I'd take Pierce for sure