News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Do you think after yesterday, coaches might be hesitant to come to NYG?

Started by MightyGiants, January 09, 2024, 08:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Could all the odd things that happened yesterday and Wink resigning give coaches pause to come to NYG and work with Daboll?

As for what I am referring to (happened yesterday)

Having a very early press conference where you fired two coaches prior and then declare that you expect Wink back

It comes out you just fired Wink's right hand man and for good measure his right hand man's brother

Then it comes out that Wink is quitting

I have been listening to pods, and no one seems to think this is a good look for Daboll or NYG.

So is this just a blip or could coaches think twice about coming to work for Daboll?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

It could and it couldn't. Everyone is different. Some will see it as a troubled situation and others will see it as an opportunity to show what they can do.

As I said with Wink... I want men that want to be in Blue. He didn't want to be here - bye, Mitch.

To the prospective coaches that want to be here... Let's Go Big Blue!  :Giants:  :Chestram:
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

katkavage

If you are a young aspiring coach, you take on the challenge. You can build a resume that can lead to bigger things if you succeed. Also, the NFL is a small world. If there are ego issues or Daboll has a certain reputation, others will be aware of it and cut you that slack.

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on January 09, 2024, 08:46:06 AMIf you are a young aspiring coach, you take on the challenge. You can build a resume that can lead to bigger things if you succeed. Also, the NFL is a small world. If there are ego issues or Daboll has a certain reputation, others will be aware of it and cut you that slack.

Not every coach you hire needs to be aspiring.  Some can be proven coaches.

Quote from: T200 on January 09, 2024, 08:43:34 AMIt could and it couldn't. Everyone is different. Some will see it as a troubled situation and others will see it as an opportunity to show what they can do.

As I said with Wink... I want men that want to be in Blue. He didn't want to be here - bye, Mitch.

To the prospective coaches that want to be here... Let's Go Big Blue!  :Giants:  :Chestram:

Tim,

Here's my issue with that.  Wink clearly wanted to be a Giant, or he wouldn't have taken the job.  Something happened during his tenure with the Giants that made him not want to be a Giant.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 09, 2024, 08:57:47 AMTim,

Here's my issue with that.  Wink clearly wanted to be a Giant, or he wouldn't have taken the job.  Something happened during his tenure with the Giants that made him not want to be a Giant.
NY ain't for everybody and everybody ain't for NY. I get the sense that Wink felt his sh*t don't stink. He didn't want to look in the mirror and take accountability for his underperforming staff.

Daboll set the standard and example by firing his ST coach and the OL coach, who technically worked for Kafka. Did Mike resign too because Johnson was fired? To me, Wink is a man-baby and I'm glad he's gone. He's living off of his reputation, not production.

StompYouOT

Huh I think most Likely wink was the best coach on the staff but we Will see.

I don't know what would attract proven coaches here honestly. A young gun might want to prove himself but even that seems dicey with this organization.

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on January 09, 2024, 09:05:48 AMNY ain't for everybody and everybody ain't for NY. I get the sense that Wink felt his sh*t don't stink. He didn't want to look in the mirror and take accountability for his underperforming staff.

Daboll set the standard and example by firing his ST coach and the OL coach, who technically worked for Kafka. Did Mike resign too because Johnson was fired? To me, Wink is a man-baby and I'm glad he's gone. He's living off of his reputation, not production.

Tim,

What I can gather is there was a difference in philosophy.  At least during games, Daboll can be animated and seems to chew out/curse out coaches and players (much to the delight of fans). 

Wink expressed his view on that last season

https://x.com/SNYGiants/status/1580594051568508928?s=20

While there is an emotional appeal to Daboll's old-school butt-kicking approach, I can say that, having spent decades in management, its time has passed.  Gone are the days when you could even raise your voice when addressing a subordinate, much less yell at them or chew them out.

Plus, as Wink says, he is playing chess during the game, and you can't properly focus on your job if you are overly emotional and animated.  Then you have Daboll, who often looks like he is ready to blow his top in a game.

I guess you could say that neither man is at fault and that it was simply a compatibility issue, but until/if more information comes out, we really won't know beyond impressions (hence the question of this thread)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 09, 2024, 09:22:33 AMTim,

What I can gather is there was a difference in philosophy.  At least during games, Daboll can be animated and seems to chew out/curse out coaches and players (much to the delight of fans). 

I guess you could say that neither man is at fault and that it was simply a compatibility issue, but until/if more information comes out, we really won't know beyond impressions (hence the question of this thread)
That's what I equate it to, Rich. Daboll is the man in charge. Wink did the right thing if he felt he couldn't mesh with Daboll's style. I can't say I agree with Daboll's style as it isn't for everyone. Some people handle it well, some don't. I look at guys like Ditka, Cowher, Parcells, and Payton... they shared similar traits.

I don't think Daboll's criticism of Wink's defense was unwarranted. I mean, we all watched the games. I would venture to say that Kafka got plenty of Daboll's lashings. We just didn't see it during the games because he was safe in the booth.

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on January 09, 2024, 09:30:22 AMThat's what I equate it to, Rich. Daboll is the man in charge. Wink did the right thing if he felt he couldn't mesh with Daboll's style. I can't say I agree with Daboll's style as it isn't for everyone. Some people handle it well, some don't. I look at guys like Ditka, Cowher, Parcells, and Payton... they shared similar traits.

I don't think Daboll's criticism of Wink's defense was unwarranted. I mean, we all watched the games. I would venture to say that Kafka got plenty of Daboll's lashings. We just didn't see it during the games because he was safe in the booth.

Tim,

You may have noticed, but I am not one of Wink's critics.  I appreciate that Wink's defenses seemed a bit hit-or-miss and didn't hold up.   However, I hear smart people who have worked in the NFL frequently talk about the importance of complimentary football.    By this, they mean the offense helps the defense by not forcing the defense to spend too much time on the field.  The defense helps the offense by generating turnovers and good field positions.   The special teams simply help both sides. 

Wink's defense often had to carry the team and the talent (I would say the talent was middle of the pack) Wink had to work with made that a nearly impossible task, in my opinion.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

H-Town G-Fan

Are we to believe Daboll is the only hot-head coach in the NFL? I don't think we'd even really know of that reputation if Wink's camp hadn't begun to promote those stories over this year once he tired of his time here. Wink has now bowed out of two situations. I'm not convinced he's not part of the problem. Very possible that Daboll needs to refine his approach (and he's a first-time coach, so this isn't really a shocker), but Wink seems to me to be malcontented at continually being passed over for head coach when he likely feels more capable than someone a decade his junior.

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 09, 2024, 09:38:49 AMTim,

You may have noticed, but I am not one of Wink's critics.  I appreciate that Wink's defenses seemed a bit hit-or-miss and didn't hold up.   However, I hear smart people who have worked in the NFL frequently talk about the importance of complimentary football.    By this, they mean the offense helps the defense by not forcing the defense to spend too much time on the field.  The defense helps the offense by generating turnovers and good field positions.   The special teams simply help both sides. 

Wink's defense often had to carry the team and the talent (I would say the talent was middle of the pack) Wink had to work with made that a nearly impossible task, in my opinion.   
Honestly, I wasn't a big critic of his either. The entire team was lackluster in both coaching and performance on the field. Changes needed to be made.

Daboll made some. Wink wasn't happy with a couple of them and he left. I don't see that he made a huge impact on the team and subsequently, don't see his resignation as a big loss.

Giant Obsession

Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on January 09, 2024, 09:45:37 AMHonestly, I wasn't a big critic of his either. The entire team was lackluster in both coaching and performance on the field. Changes needed to be made.

Daboll made some. Wink wasn't happy with a couple of them and he left. I don't see that he made a huge impact on the team and subsequently, don't see his resignation as a big loss.

I think Wink's performance is such that hiring his replacement is a challenge of maintaining high quality rather than an opportunity to upgrade.

More importantly, I am not a big fan of change (not from a life perspective, but from a team-building perspective).   Schoen has frequently talked about the importance of continuity (as has Daboll) and how it's important for the personnel side of the house to understand the types of players the coaches are looking for.  One sure-fire way to stay bad/mediocre is to keep changing coaches and schemes.  That leads to a lot of square pegs trying to fit round holes and needless draft/cap capital being spent to change the team's composition to match the desires of the new coaching staff.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 09, 2024, 10:14:47 AMI think Wink's performance is such that hiring his replacement is a challenge of maintaining high quality rather than an opportunity to upgrade.

More importantly, I am not a big fan of change (not from a life perspective, but from a team-building perspective).   Schoen has frequently talked about the importance of continuity (as has Daboll) and how it's important for the personnel side of the house to understand the types of players the coaches are looking for.  One sure-fire way to stay bad/mediocre is to keep changing coaches and schemes.  That leads to a lot of square pegs trying to fit round holes and needless draft/cap capital being spent to change the team's composition to match the desires of the new coaching staff.
To be fair, Daboll said he wanted Kafka and Wink to stay. Wink chose to leave. He wasn't fired. That wasn't on Daboll to have the defensive scheme changed.

I would hope Daboll has an idea of what type of DC he wants and that they will do their due diligence in the interviews.

Jolly Blue Giant

My two cents FWIW...Wink is an old codger who's set in his ways. He's seen it all. He thinks like he's in charge and doesn't take criticism well when delivered by a snot-nosed kid (in his opinion). Daboll does well with younger coaches wanting to work their way up the ladder to hopefully become head coach themselves one day, but not so well with hard-nosed, proven, older coaches who are set in their ways and won't take criticism concerning his style from someone younger and with less experience

Don't get me wrong, I think Wink is a great (even fantastic) coach who I admire and he is one of a kind. But the chemistry between him and Daboll reminds me of a relationship I had with a girl in the past. She would tell me her opinion on some matter and I would simply (and humbly) say, "I agree with you". That would infuriate her, and set her off. She would tell (yell at) me, "I don't need your confirmation, you condescending pig". Good times...LOL
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: