News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Do you think after yesterday, coaches might be hesitant to come to NYG?

Started by MightyGiants, January 09, 2024, 08:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: AYM on January 09, 2024, 06:16:13 PMAfter hearing about the 24 stunt Wink pulled on Sunday, I've moved toward Daboll's side a bit more in this dispute.

The NYG PR team is doing a full-court press on Wink.  Assuming it's true, then Wink was wrong.  Still, it's hard to know what is and isn't true at this point, at least for me.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 09, 2024, 07:46:37 PMThe NYG PR team is doing a full-court press on Wink.  Assuming it's true, then Wink was wrong.  Still, it's hard to know what is and isn't true at this point, at least for me.

Is this reconcilable at this point?  Will this end with the Giants firing him claiming something that will negate any guarantees?

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 09, 2024, 07:46:37 PMThe NYG PR team is doing a full-court press on Wink.  Assuming it's true, then Wink was wrong.  Still, it's hard to know what is and isn't true at this point, at least for me.
Even if what the team is saying isn't 100%  true, I believe the facts to be:

- Wink has not been fired
- Wink has verbally said he's resigning but has not formally submitted his resignation
- Wink has left NY/NJ and went to Sarasota
- Wink has not returned calls from Shoen or Daboll
- Wink is under contract for next season for $3M
- Wink cannot take a job with another team unless it's a head coach position or the Giants release/fire him

No matter what the Giants have said to this point excuses or justifies Wink's behavior.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Giant Obsession

HOW was this whole mess allowed to get to this point is the real question to me.

Lack of management by the organization allowed this to have a starting point, an escalation and now where we are today.

Sad.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on January 09, 2024, 10:36:17 PMEven if what the team is saying isn't 100%  true, I believe the facts to be:

- Wink has not been fired
- Wink has verbally said he's resigning but has not formally submitted his resignation
- Wink has left NY/NJ and went to Sarasota
- Wink has not returned calls from Shoen or Daboll
- Wink is under contract for next season for $3M
- Wink cannot take a job with another team unless it's a head coach position or the Giants release/fire him

No matter what the Giants have said to this point excuses or justifies Wink's behavior.

Tim,

Wink may not have returned calls, but from what I hear, Wink has directed NYG to discuss matters with his agent.   NYG "leaked" only part of the story to make Wink look worse.

To the rest of the story, I slept on all the information I have gathered and I started a thread discussing the Wink saga and how I see it fitting into bigger issues within the organization
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

coggs

Within the coaching circles, potential candidates will find out what really happened.  The way these guys bounce around between different colleges and pro teams when they first start (if they are not former NFL players), they eventually have friends all over the league.

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 10, 2024, 08:45:12 AMTim,

Wink may not have returned calls, but from what I hear, Wink has directed NYG to discuss matters with his agent.   NYG "leaked" only part of the story to make Wink look worse.

To the rest of the story, I slept on all the information I have gathered and I started a thread discussing the Wink saga and how I see it fitting into bigger issues within the organization
Rich,

I just finished reading your thread. Thanks for taking the time to share your detailed thoughts.

I haven't seen/heard anything that Wink directed team to discuss matters with his agent. If his beef is with Daboll and not Schoen, why ghost Schoen? I don't like how he's handling any of this.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: coggs on January 10, 2024, 08:54:51 AMWithin the coaching circles, potential candidates will find out what really happened.  The way these guys bounce around between different colleges and pro teams when they first start (if they are not former NFL players), they eventually have friends all over the league.

From all I have seen and heard to this point, I would think twice before I took a job with NYG.  Too much dysfunction and drama.  I would prefer to work with a team that is more professional and stable.

When it comes to hiring coaches, the Giants are already a bit handicapped.  Over the years, I have heard insiders (who I talked to) say NYG is less than an ideal landing spot.  Apparently, the Giants don't pay well, and that is made worse by the high cost of living in the region as well as the additional taxes.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on January 10, 2024, 08:56:47 AMRich,

I just finished reading your thread. Thanks for taking the time to share your detailed thoughts.

I haven't seen/heard anything that Wink directed team to discuss matters with his agent. If his beef is with Daboll and not Schoen, why ghost Schoen? I don't like how he's handling any of this.

Tim,

I heard that on one of the pods I listened to this morning.  I think it was Paul Schwartz, but I am not a hundred percent certain.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

coggs

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 10, 2024, 08:57:49 AMFrom all I have seen and heard to this point, I would think twice before I took a job with NYG.  Too much dysfunction and drama.  I would prefer to work with a team that is more professional and stable.

When it comes to hiring coaches, the Giants are already a bit handicapped.  Over the years, I have heard insiders (who I talked to) say NYG is less than an ideal landing spot.  Apparently, the Giants don't pay well, and that is made worse by the high cost of living in the region as well as the additional taxes.
I can believe all of this.  But assistants and position coaches know there is a good chance they will live a nomadic life.  A big part of the interview process for a head coach is they budget they will give him for his staff. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: coggs on January 10, 2024, 09:21:11 AMI can believe all of this.  But assistants and position coaches know there is a good chance they will live a nomadic life.  A big part of the interview process for a head coach is they budget they will give him for his staff. 

There will always be coaches who are desperate to move up or for a second chance, so the Giants will always find candidates.  What will be missing will be the established quality position coaches (who are highly desirable) who have the luxury to pick and choose.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

londonblue

FWIW cuz works for an AFC franchise nearby. Giants are generally held to be willing to pay above NFL average for top coaches (coordinators & key assistants) but are notoriously skinflint with more junior coaching assistants, scouts and analysts. Salary won't be an issue hiring a new DC, STC or OL guy but our perceived dysfunction, NJ taxes and the perennials of climate, lifestyle for family etc. will be as always.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on January 10, 2024, 09:45:11 AMFWIW cuz works for an AFC franchise nearby. Giants are generally held to be willing to pay above NFL average for top coaches (coordinators & key assistants) but are notoriously skinflint with more junior coaching assistants, scouts and analysts. Salary won't be an issue hiring a new DC, STC or OL guy but our perceived dysfunction, NJ taxes and the perennials of climate, lifestyle for family etc. will be as always.

That's almost worse to hear. The best franchise, with long stretches of success and stability, promote from within.  If you can't attract the best people at the bottom, you fail to create the pipeline for those in-house promotions that provide a team needed stability.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 10, 2024, 09:55:04 AMThat's almost worse to hear. The best franchise, with long stretches of success and stability, promote from within.  If you can't attract the best people at the bottom, you fail to create the pipeline for those in-house promotions that provide a team needed stability.

I think it cuts both ways. If you're willing to take less on the front end, your growth potential is more. Sure, you may make more as an entry-level position at another franchise, but you stand to make less long-term potentially. This isn't uncommon in most businesses. Some are going to choose the immediate reward and some are going to be incentivized by the potential. I don't see it as disqualifying.

Now, other quality-of-life factors may change that calculus. But purely money-wise, I think it's probably net-neutral (if anything, I bet a number of these guys have already slogged through making very little money as quality control coaches, assistant position group coaches, etc. and are willing to bet on themselves.).

MightyGiants

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on January 10, 2024, 09:57:53 AMI think it cuts both ways. If you're willing to take less on the front end, your growth potential is more. Sure, you may make more as an entry-level position at another franchise, but you stand to make less long-term potentially. This isn't uncommon in most businesses. Some are going to choose the immediate reward and some are going to be incentivized by the potential. I don't see it as disqualifying.

Now, other quality-of-life factors may change that calculus. But purely money-wise, I think it's probably net-neutral (if anything, I bet a number of these guys have already slogged through making very little money as quality control coaches, assistant position group coaches, etc. and are willing to bet on themselves.).

I will make it more concrete.  Right now, the Giants need a really good O-line coach (after a long string of really bad ones).   Being desirable both in destination and pay is how one gets a really good one rather than a string of bad ones.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE