News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

End of an era

Started by MightyGiants, January 11, 2024, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

If you think about it, people becoming football fans today will view names like Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll, and Nick Saban like we might view names like Bear Bryant, John Madden (the coach not the broadcaster) or Vince Lombardi (I appreciate there are older members that were around to see them coach) or if you are younger think about coaches like Don Shula or Tom Landry.

https://x.com/Schmeelk/status/1745450337031643535?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Doc16LT56

Agreed. It seems like we recently closed out an era of iconic QBs and now we're seeing the same with legendary coaches.

kingm56

Hard to believe these men are all in their 70s; I grew up watching them.  In a way, those of us in our mid-40s have lost a link to our childhood/youth. 

londonblue

My only question is who is the 4th head on the modern football Mount Rushmore alongside LT, Brady and Bill?
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Philosophers

Quote from: londonblue on January 11, 2024, 10:09:42 AMMy only question is who is the 4th head on the modern football Mount Rushmore alongside LT, Brady and Bill?

If it's football in general and not NFL specifically, I'd say Nick Saban.

LennG

Quote from: londonblue on January 11, 2024, 10:09:42 AMMy only question is who is the 4th head on the modern football Mount Rushmore alongside LT, Brady and Bill?

You have a GOAT defensive player
A GOAT QB
A GOAT HC
For me, it would be Jerry Rice, the GOAT WR.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

uconnjack8

What defines modern if LT is on there?  I would argue we are in a totally different era than the one that LT played.

londonblue

If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: londonblue on January 11, 2024, 12:56:27 PMNFL era

Really hard to just do four if you're doing the entire post-merger era. Is Bill Walsh not on there (for example)? Joe Montana? Heck even someone like Andy Reid.

I think if you're doing "modern football" (let's say roughly last 30 years), it's Brady, Belichick, Reid, Peyton probably. And those are certainly up for debate. I'd say the only two that wouldn't be are Brady and Belichick.