News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

POLL- Who would you prefer as Giants HC?

Started by BluesCruz, January 13, 2024, 08:02:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

All things being equal who would you feel would best guide Giants

BluesCruz

Considering all the parameters and recent revelations.  Imagining Mara has the courage to take advantage of a once in a lifetime to grab a HOF HC

Who would you choose?  Right now I see Daboll as a 1st time middle of the road HC who got pulled along with Schoen.

I like Mike Vrable- always have admired his style.

If we endure with Daboll though I fully support him.  I would send him a copy of "How to win friends and influence people" though as off season reading.  And smile once in a while Brian.  Its a game. Treat it as so please

I met Bill Parcells in Pleasantville NY after training camp and the guy was calm and all smiles, very generous with his time.   Be like that a bit more would be my advice.   Believe it or not only Bill, Simms and McConkey
were still there (last day) and Simms threw me passes for 5 or 10 min.
He threw a nice soft ball.  I have pictures I will try to scan and display them here of that long ago day.
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

I voted for Harbaugh.

I'm a supporter of Daboll, but if I had an opportunity to bring in Harbaugh, I would. The guy is one of the three or four best active football coaches (at any level) in the country IMO. He has already proven himself in the NFL (took over a horrible 9ers team left in shambles by Mike Singletary and had them in the Super Bowl in a few years).

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 13, 2024, 08:17:21 AMI voted for Harbaugh.

I'm a supporter of Daboll, but if I had an opportunity to bring in Harbaugh, I would. The guy is one of the three or four best active football coaches (at any level) in the country IMO. He has already proven himself in the NFL (took over a horrible 9ers team left in shambles by Mike Singletary and had them in the Super Bowl in a few years).

I appreciate this is sort of a fantasy fluff question asking which HC we prefer since it's clear the Giants are moving on.   That said, if we were moving on, I think Harbaugh would be a tough sell for Mara.   Mike Lombardi pointed out that at Michigan, Harbaugh is pretty much in charge of the entire football program, and he left the NFL because in San Fran, he felt he was being interfered with in terms of creating the culture he wanted.  While Mike didn't say it, I think a reasonable assumption would be that Harbaugh will only return to the NFL if he pretty much ran the team (where the GM is subordinate to him).  That is a model I don't see the Giants adopting (even if it has worked with other teams). 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 13, 2024, 08:49:39 AMI appreciate this is sort of a fantasy fluff question asking which HC we prefer since it's clear the Giants are moving on.   That said, if we were moving on, I think Harbaugh would be a tough sell for Mara.   Mike Lombardi pointed out that at Michigan, Harbaugh is pretty much in charge of the entire football program, and he left because in San Fran, he felt he was being interfered with in terms of creating the culture he wanted.  While Mike didn't say it, I think a reasonable assumption would be that Harbaugh will only return to the NFL if he pretty much ran the team (where the GM is subordinate to him).  That is a model I don't see the Giants adopting (even if it has worked with other teams). 

Yes Rich but that beg the question is the Giants system working

I see Mara's fingerprints on a lot of our failings.  Daboll may be reacting to
keeping his job and keeping the Owner happy.  I believe Schoen/Daboll were mandated to keep Jones and Barkley on the field by Mara.

It would have been very interesting to have seen what Jones would have been offered as a free agent last year.

Its very tough to overcome a bosses mandate.

Mara likes subbordenets who are compliant.  He would likely  never hire Bellichick or Harbaugh.  He might hire Vrable or Carroll- just my hunch

MightyGiants

Quote from: BluesCruz on January 13, 2024, 09:03:06 AMYes Rich but that beg the question is the Giants system working

I see Mara's fingerprints on a lot of our failings.  Daboll may be reacting to
keeping his job and keeping the Owner happy.  I believe Schoen/Daboll were mandated to keep Jones and Barkley on the field by Mara.

It would have been very interesting to have seen what Jones would have been offered as a free agent last year.

Its very tough to overcome a bosses mandate.

Mara likes subbordenets who are compliant.  He would likely  never hire Bellichick or Harbaugh.  He might hire Vrable or Carroll- just my hunch

Sorry, but I simply don't engage in conspiracy theory.   I appreciate that many fans believe Mara forces the GM and HC to make pretty much every move they don't like, but I have not seen any evidence that supports that belief.  From what I have seen and heard, I think it's fair to say Mara offers his opinions and suggestions (obviously, advice from an owner carries more weight), but all reports indicate that, ultimately, he allows his GM and HC to make the call.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 13, 2024, 08:49:39 AMI appreciate this is sort of a fantasy fluff question asking which HC we prefer since it's clear the Giants are moving on.   That said, if we were moving on, I think Harbaugh would be a tough sell for Mara.   Mike Lombardi pointed out that at Michigan, Harbaugh is pretty much in charge of the entire football program, and he left because in San Fran, he felt he was being interfered with in terms of creating the culture he wanted.  While Mike didn't say it, I think a reasonable assumption would be that Harbaugh will only return to the NFL if he pretty much ran the team (where the GM is subordinate to him).  That is a model I don't see the Giants adopting (even if it has worked with other teams). 

I agree that he's not really a Mara type guy, and I think it's extremely unlikely he'll ever be the Giants coach. I was just voting based on what I personally would want.

Dumpster Dan

I know that I am OLD and forgetful  but will someone please explain to me why do these kind of subjects start?

Dumpster Dan

Jclayton92

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on January 13, 2024, 10:24:43 AMI know that I am OLD and forgetful  but will someone please explain to me why do these kind of subjects start?

Dumpster Dan
I'm with you, seems like we drift away from most informed with threads like this.

andrew_nyGiants

What's wrong with having a little fun with "what ifs" this time of year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Dumpster Dan

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on January 13, 2024, 10:36:17 AMWhat's wrong with having a little fun with "what ifs" this time of year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Because there is SO much to talk about IMHO---like the new OL coach we just hired--we got ourselves a helluva coach and how about some props to Dabs for jumping at the chance to nab him--no hesitation--just an example

But Andrew I totally relaize I do NOT have to read every post  and everyone is entitled to post whatever they want

Dumpster Dan

BluesCruz

Im sure Dabs is at heart a good man

Im just not convinced he is a good HC-  6-11??  lose to Dallas by 60 points
lose 3-4 games from mental errors.  Bring in Crosby who could not kick his way out of a paper bag?    Something is Rotten in Denmark. Maybe he IS not liked.
I KNOW Wink does not like him.  Apparently Kafka is off the reservation too.

Rarely has their been a chance to reach out and speak to so many HOF coaches as right now

If these guys were available 2 years ago this would be a no brainer

I can forsee another horrific year coming up with Jones and Barkley back
4-13?

These guys are likely to pass on a great QB or RB prospect to show their undying loyalty to Mara and Jones/Barkley.  None of these HOF coaches would stand for that.

Im sick of losing. Arent you?  We need a complete detailed "Car Wash"

LennG

I see nothing wrong with fantasizing about things, like if a genie gave you 3 wishes, what might you wish for? We know this isn't happening, but just to survey the fans here, if you had a choice would you toe the line with Daboll, or move on to someone who we know is better?

I voted for Vrabel over Harbaugh just because Vrabel, I feel, would get along with the players much better than Harbaugh. Harbaugh is used to be a control freak, same as BB, and in today's game, players may not take to that. Vrabel has been there, and done that, so if I had to pick from that list, he would be my guy, and no offense to Daboll.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Quote from: LennG on January 13, 2024, 11:53:03 AMI see nothing wrong with fantasizing about things, like if a genie gave you 3 wishes, what might you wish for? We know this isn't happening, but just to survey the fans here, if you had a choice would you toe the line with Daboll, or move on to someone who we know is better?

I voted for Vrabel over Harbaugh just because Vrabel, I feel, would get along with the players much better than Harbaugh. Harbaugh is used to be a control freak, same as BB, and in today's game, players may not take to that. Vrabel has been there, and done that, so if I had to pick from that list, he would be my guy, and no offense to Daboll.
Did I ever tell you the story about the man I saw on the beach with a tiny head? It's a Genie story.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

BluesCruz

Quote from: LennG on January 13, 2024, 11:53:03 AMI see nothing wrong with fantasizing about things, like if a genie gave you 3 wishes, what might you wish for? We know this isn't happening, but just to survey the fans here, if you had a choice would you toe the line with Daboll, or move on to someone who we know is better?

I agree
I voted for Vrabel. I cant believe Dabs is doing so well in this horse race

The woman who fired him gave a convoluted explaination for firing Vrabel
made no sense

Why is this senario so untenable?  We are talking about an owner Mara who changes Head Coaches like some people change shoes.  (every 2 yrs on avg). the only gating factor here is Dabell's ties to Schoen but honestly what does Schoen have to add but the now horrific contract to Jones.  He himself is on thin ice

and letting Julian Love walk ugh. Im not convinced these two guys brought the Bills fairy dust with them from Buffalo.  We will see.  It seems they are at least getting another year

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on January 13, 2024, 10:24:43 AMI know that I am OLD and forgetful  but will someone please explain to me why do these kind of subjects start?

Dumpster Dan

Exactly why I don't play.  They get started because fish are biting.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll