News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Raanan is hearing that Mike Kafka is likely gone

Started by MightyGiants, January 19, 2024, 08:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-Town G-Fan

Kafka has been interviewing for head coaching positions. Ranaan's comments (purposefully vague) may be nothing more than a reflection that someone is going to bring Kafka on in that role. Leaving for a HC job is hardly an indictment of Daboll. OC position? Different story altogether, I agree. But we don't know how this ends yet so I'm not going to speculate when the evidence points to HC for Kafka.

MightyGiants

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on January 19, 2024, 10:04:18 AMKafka has been interviewing for head coaching positions. Ranaan's comments (purposefully vague) may be nothing more than a reflection that someone is going to bring Kafka on in that role. Leaving for a HC job is hardly an indictment of Daboll. OC position? Different story altogether, I agree. But we don't know how this ends yet so I'm not going to speculate when the evidence points to HC for Kafka.

As far as I know, Kafka has one HC interview, and frankly, I would be surprised if he gets it.  Mike Lombardi likes to say HCs are elected rather than selected.  I think part of what he means is that owners need to sell the fan base on the new HC.   I can't imagine that fans would be excited with a new HC who coordinated one of the worst offenses in the league, regardless of how many extenuating circumstances there were.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 19, 2024, 09:57:33 AMIf Kafka does want to leave, I think the whole Wink situation left Kafka in the catbird season.   If I were Kafka and if I felt Daboll was treating me poorly, I would tell the Giants I wish to seek my fortunes elsewhere, and if the Giants agree to that, in return, I would say the parting was mutual, and I wouldn't utter a bad word about the organization.   After what happened with Wink, the last thing the Giants need is another ugly departure by a coordinator. 

On the other hand, this is a tricky maneuver by Kafka.  If Kafka can't find a coordinator job elsewhere, it would be pretty awkward to return to the Giants.   I think this only works if Kafka's agent treads dangerously close to tampering and has already found a landing spot for his client.

There has already been an interview request for him.  With 25% of the teams looking for a new HC this offseason, there is going to be plenty of OC positions changing.

uconnjack8

I think it's a good possibility that whatever issues Daboll has dealing with assistants will be well discussed within the fraternity.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 19, 2024, 10:20:28 AMAs far as I know, Kafka has one HC interview, and frankly, I would be surprised if he gets it.  Mike Lombardi likes to say HCs are elected rather than selected.  I think part of what he means is that owners need to sell the fan base on the new HC.  I can't imagine that fans would be excited with a new HC who coordinated one of the worst offenses in the league, regardless of how many extenuating circumstances there were.

I believe he interviewed (or will) with both the Titans and Seahawks. There's little reason for anyone to interview him unless they want to give him a legitimate shot (he doesn't help them satisfy the Rooney Rule). Like I said, I'm not ruling it out that he leaves for another OC position, but this reeks of Ranaan piling on the narrative that Daboll is driving a wedge in the staff (regardless as to whether that is correct or not). It's whispers with not an ounce of substance.

MightyGiants

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on January 19, 2024, 10:52:47 AMI believe he interviewed (or will) with both the Titans and Seahawks. There's little reason for anyone to interview him unless they want to give him a legitimate shot (he doesn't help them satisfy the Rooney Rule). Like I said, I'm not ruling it out that he leaves for another OC position, but this reeks of Ranaan piling on the narrative that Daboll is driving a wedge in the staff (regardless as to whether that is correct or not). It's whispers with not an ounce of substance.

I missed the Seahawks interview

Interviews do offer more value than you realize.  Interviews allow teams to learn how other processes other teams use.  While there have been issues with Daboll, he is still well-respected for his acumen as an offensive coordinator.  I am sure teams would be happy to take an interview to get some new insights on how he does it.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Is he getting initial interviews, which are done via video call, or did he pass that phase on to the in person phase?

I have to say its pretty apparent that people around the league think more highly of Kafka than many Giants fans. 

LennG

Personally, I think this makes Daboll look a bit more like a HC. He assembled a staff and when something doesn't work out you cut the cord and move on instead of stringing things along.
I couldn't care less why coaches leave or get fired, but when something ain't working, I give the HC a lot of credit for trying to move on and getting it right.
When he assembled his staff, they all looked good on paper, but the game isn't played on paper. Clash of personalities, not on the same page scheme-wise, or just incompetent, the HC has to know when to bring in new people to accomplish his goal. Come on, we see this all the time, even mid-season. IMHO, this is a wise move on Daboll's part.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Dumpster Dan

Quote from: LennG on January 19, 2024, 11:52:26 AMPersonally, I think this makes Daboll look a bit more like a HC. He assembled a staff and when something doesn't work out you cut the cord and move on instead of stringing things along.
I couldn't care less why coaches leave or get fired, but when something ain't working, I give the HC a lot of credit for trying to move on and getting it right.
When he assembled his staff, they all looked good on paper, but the game isn't played on paper. Clash of personalities, not on the same page scheme-wise, or just incompetent, the HC has to know when to bring in new people to accomplish his goal. Come on, we see this all the time, even mid-season. IMHO, this is a wise move on Daboll's part.

Right on Len   But how come so many disagree with us???

Dumpster Dan

Giant Obsession

Quote from: katkavage on January 19, 2024, 09:23:22 AMIt might work out for the best. Either way, Daboll has work to do this off season. He has to turn this around or he's gone after next year.

Sad....for the franchie and the fans....that we have to sacrifice next year.

Especially when the problem is right in front of us.

Yea but the players play hard and like him.  Well, at the salaries they get and no way to hide from the cameras and analysis they should.

And yet this organization is willing to waste a season in hopes of what ??

Pathetic..

But we make tons of money:)

Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

killarich

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 19, 2024, 09:06:19 AMThat is my point.  There is a certain amount of get rid of Kafka but keep Daboll sentiment. Blaming Kafka for this year but not giving credit for last year. 

Because the offense hasn't been good for both years

Going for 2 which was a Daboll decision in game 1 of the season set the season for success .... Daboll took more risks in year one and a lot  paid off

This past season not so much

The jets game this season was a completely different Daboll and embarrassing I admit

But Kafka has been bad both seasons .... Daboll has not

Trench

Quote from: killarich on January 19, 2024, 12:36:09 PMBecause the offense hasn't been good for both years

Going for 2 which was a Daboll decision in game 1 of the season set the season for success .... Daboll took more risks in year one and a lot  paid off

The jets game this season was a completely different Daboll and embarrassing I admit

Agreed. Dabol coached with absolute fear in Jets game. It was an embarrassment. He allowed ultra conservative play calling all season long. He deserves to get a chance to rectify next year but all this smoke coming out now does not bode well for him unless he has a big season.

I'm still concerned he had the Joe Judge deer in headlights look several times this season. Not good

uconnjack8

Lenn and Dan,

Here are my concerns/curiosities here:

1)  I don't think I can recall a team changing 3 coordinators but keeping the HC.  What caused this unique circumstance? 
2) if all 3 of these guys were not "the right guy", how do we trust their decision making going forward?  Did they learn from going 0 for 3 on their initial hires?
3) if some of these things happened independently (i.e. firing a STs coordinator) and without the sh!tstorm being reported it would feel a lot different.  The reporting may be overstated and slanted and maybe most of the staff wants to work for Daboll.  I am not convinced either way, but I feel like the way this has gone down is cause for some skepticism at least.

uconnjack8

Quote from: killarich on January 19, 2024, 12:36:09 PMBecause the offense hasn't been good for both years

How can Kafka be bad both seasons but Daboll has not been?

Gmo11

Quote from: Trench on January 19, 2024, 12:43:45 PMAgreed. Dabol coached with absolute fear in Jets game. It was an embarrassment. He allowed ultra conservative play calling all season long. He deserves to get a chance to rectify next year but all this smoke coming out now does not bode well for him unless he has a big season.

I'm still concerned he had the Joe Judge deer in headlights look several times this season. Not good

I disagree about the Jets game.  You have to think going into that game Devito had exactly 0 practice reps because he was the 3rd string guy.  If anything he was scout team QB.  And the defense was essentially pitching a shutout.  The most likely way for them to lose that game was to let Devito do something stupid.  Barkley was running well..the defense was manhandling the Jets...and the Giants had the lead. 

I question the decision to kick the FG with a broken kicker at the end rather than go for 4th down for sure.  But with everything that happened before that they had 4th and 1 where either a FG or a first down wins them the game. They just blew it and then the defense gave up the only two big plays they gave up the entire game.