News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Could the solution to the Daboll problems be letting him run the offense?

Started by MightyGiants, January 22, 2024, 09:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Former GM Randy Mueller suggested that the best thing for Daboll to do is lean into his strengths (while leaning away from his weaknesses).  Could Daboll talking over play calling and running the offense be the solution to his issues?   After all, if he is focused on the offense, he is less likely to be rubbing his other coaches the wrong way.  If he hires another experienced DC and STC, he could just focus on the offense and let the other coordinators do what they need to do.

I think there is something to work with in Daboll.  Despite his temper issues, he seems to still have strong support in the locker room.  If he can learn to dial it down on game day and lean into his high-level skills as an offensive coach, he could turn things around.

I suspect if Daboll takes over play-calling, they will let Kafka seek employment elsewhere promote Tierny to the non-play-calling OC position, and then find a QB coach to backfill

Of course, the challenge will be finding high-level DC and STC who are willing to hitch their wagon to an HC in his 3rd year who is now on the hot seat and has a reputation for not treating his coaching staff well.  That may limit NYG's options.  My fingers are crossed that NYG and Daboll can get past this issue and bring in some quality additions.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

I'm not a big fan of an HC pulling double duty. Hire the right people to do their respective jobs. I know some have excelled at it but I don't think everyone can do it. I don't know where Daboll falls.

Daboll needs to find a competent DC who also has thick skin and won't take Daboll's game day rants personally. Football is emotional. Yes, I agree that there needs to be a higher level of composure, it's only detrimental to the team if his style is more negative than positive.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on January 22, 2024, 10:00:48 AMI'm not a big fan of an HC pulling double duty. Hire the right people to do their respective jobs. I know some have excelled at it but I don't think everyone can do it. I don't know where Daboll falls.

Daboll needs to find a competent DC who also has thick skin and won't take Daboll's game day rants personally. Football is emotional. Yes, I agree that there needs to be a higher level of composure, it's only detrimental to the team if his style is more negative than positive.

Tim,

I thought you would find this breakdown interesting:

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on January 22, 2024, 10:00:48 AMI'm not a big fan of an HC pulling double duty. Hire the right people to do their respective jobs. I know some have excelled at it but I don't think everyone can do it. I don't know where Daboll falls.

One other thought: even before this season, I had noticed how worked-up Daboll looked on the sidelines.  I hadn't considered that he was impacting the team; I was just worried about his health.  He looked so worked up and didn't appear to be in the best of shapes; I feared he would stroke out or have a coronary on the sidelines.  For his own wellbeing, I hope Daboll finds a way to calm down during the games.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 22, 2024, 10:17:29 AMOne other thought: even before this season, I had noticed how worked-up Daboll looked on the sidelines.  I hadn't considered that he was impacting the team; I was just worried about his health.  He looked so worked up and didn't appear to be in the best of shapes; I feared he would stroke out or have a coronary on the sidelines.  For his own wellbeing, I hope Daboll finds a way to calm down during the games.
He needs to work on getting in better shape.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: katkavage on January 22, 2024, 10:18:36 AMHe needs to work on getting in better shape.

Yeah...I worry he's going to keel over with a heart attack sometimes

As far as new coaches go, If I was Daboll, I'd be searching for young and up-and-coming guys who won't buckle at being yelled at or feel as if they know more than their HC. Older successful guys who are set in their ways and know the game so well they can sleep through it, can be a problem if they get rubbed the wrong way and will seldom open to any form of criticism
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on January 22, 2024, 10:38:13 AMYeah...I worry he's going to keel over with a heart attack sometimes

As far as new coaches go, If I was Daboll, I'd be searching for young and up-and-coming guys who won't buckle at being yelled at or feel as if they know more than their HC. Older successful guys who are set in their ways and know the game so well they can sleep through it, can be a problem if they get rubbed the wrong way and will seldom open to any form of criticism

The challenge with young up-and-comers is to get them, you need to promote them to DC.   From Daboll's (and Schoen's) perspective that creates the risk of the defense backsliding as the new DC learns on the job.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ralphpal1

If daboll thinks wink lost him the jet game then he is clueless
It was accepeting the kick in overtime
No team was moving the ball
Kick off to the jet
Stop them
Make them punt to the 50
Gain 10 yards
Kick FG
Win game

Painter

I began to have some concern about Daboll when it seemed as though the Giants were ill-prepared and unmotivated to start the season during which, with the exception of Daniel Jones's record-setting finish against the Cardinals, they lost 4 of their first 5, and post-Jones injury, 6 of 8.

Now, we are left to wonder if that reversal of fortune following his first year's, perhaps unexpected, success will prove to have been a learning experience, or to have revealed a flaw in his ability to cope with the demands of being a first time HC?

When we consider the number of both current and future challenges the organization and the team faces, there is little that us chickens can do but to bring a positive attitude to our "wait and see." Ne c'est pas?

Giant Obsession

It really will not matter what duties he claims in 2024.

The calamity of last season is a scary indictment of his skills as a HC. 

And please do not give me the outdated bull of "but the players played hard for him and did not quit."

Players want that paycheck as long as they can get it, coach does not matter.

The real shame is we are so willing to throw away another season rather than admit out mistake....AGAIN.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

zephirus

It certainly seems the friction with Wink Martindale was that Daboll liked to yell and deflect and Wink thought he was too established and should be above reproach.  Shame on both of them for acting like children.  Daboll wanted the big boy job - he needs to do it.

I realize it's not uncommon but I've always questioned the head coach also being a play caller.  If this is because they have only mastered one side of the ball then they really aren't a head coach.  They're a figurehead while the other side of the ball is usually relegated to an established coordinator.  I've always thought the success record of special teams coordinators who turn into good head coaches is because they have to be considerably more circumspect and intimately know what the offense and defense are doing in addition to their own duties. 

https://www.the33rdteam.com/study-coaches-with-a-special-teams-background-have-been-highly-successful/

kartanoman

Whether your forte is offense, defense or special teams, as a head coach you are responsible for ensuring your team's game plan is put in place, that your coaches and players are in sync with that plan and that you have identified and mitigated all the major risks that could upset the plan. But, most of all, you have to gain buy-in from not only your coaches but the players. To do that, you need to know them, understand them, be present to them and, most importantly, validate them. Even when things are not going according to plan, you have chosen them, given them the mission to be a part of your vision that you set forth with your General Manager for the team. Give them ownership in the final result whether it be win or lose. Give them input into correcting an error or sustaining a success. Validate them and their input.

Make changes when they have to be made but communicate in advance so there are no surprises when you make the call. Inevitably, conflict in a locker room, or in a planning meeting, will take place. Use conflict resolution skills and be respectful to the person(s), but focus the conflict on the subject at odds. If it becomes a personality conflict, do all you can to de-escalate and try to focus on the what, not the who.

As a new head coach, I'm sure Daboll can look back at the last two seasons, run them through some of the suggestions I've listed above, and identify situations where he could have approached them differently and maybe even regrets some of the behaviors he enacted. As a newer head coach in the NFL, I would imagine that is normal as part of learning the ropes. Not everything is going to turn out perfectly, and best intentions will be interpreted by some with the ultimate in negativity. The situation with Wink, although we do not know all the details, is regrettable in that Daboll might have had an opportunity to sit down with him and, together, work out their differences. Let's hope he learned a lesson from this situation and the relationship with the next defensive coordinator won't be as hostile.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Philosophers

Two words - Rich Rodriguez.  Did that at Michigan and even stopped attending meetings defensive and special teams players.  No thanks.

He's the CEO.

Hire a damn OC and back the F away.

Dumpster Dan

Well  here I go again--trying to keep my big mouth shut for a week or more  but because I am old and admit to my own forgetfulness and lack of understanding someone please tell me how many reporters reported on this entire situation.  I am not saying that there wasnt problems within the team--hell I texted the grandsons about that three weeks into the season

But is it to the degree of this post?  Some of you guys it seems to me are taking this to new heights.  Do we really have no faith in JS and even Mara that they wouldnt do something about the situation if they felt needed--I can tell you this.  In my working day as a manager and any of some of you were managers reporting to me and came to me with a report about Daboll such as is written here I would fire Daboll immediately--based on your recommendation

Some of you are portraying, it seems to me, Daboll as a complete control freak--based on ONE reporters stories.   

I keep hearing that no coach in his right mind would want to work with or for Daboll   Yet he keeps interviewing

What is going on?   Why have the Giants become the whipping boys for a few writers and reporters?  For example when Bricillo was hired the first thing I read, FROM THE RAIDERS SIDE was that the Giants stole him--he was available ONLY because the Raiders didnt have a HC and it was Pierce who recommended him--he told Bricillo that if the Giants offered he should go.

Now today I am reading that Bricillo has warts all over him. Not a nice guy. Not liked by the players. Has serious deficiences in his coaching style and abilities.  Who to believe?

And then I come on BBH to read about the team I have rooted for since 1941 and I find posts like this.  Whats the use?

Not even three years and we are ready to kick our coach out the door

Not me   but I guess I am in the minority

It wouldnt be the first time

Dumpster Dan

Bob In PA

Quote from: T200 on January 22, 2024, 10:00:48 AMDaboll needs to find a competent DC who also has thick skin and won't take Daboll's game day rants personally. Football is emotional. Yes, I agree that there needs to be a higher level of composure, it's only detrimental to the team if his style is more negative than positive.
Tim: IMO you nailed it. It's a JOB for which you get PAID. And coaching is a TEAM "sport" just like playing ball.

The other guy's trying his best too so that must be taken into consideration by the person listening to the rant.

Your attitude (the correct one, IMO) shows your military background, and as Tom Coughlin emphasized to his team there is a lot to be learned by understanding the "military attitude."  Good post.

Bob
I
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!