News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

A Scout’s Take on why Bill Belichick was passed over in Atlanta

Started by MightyGiants, January 27, 2024, 08:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kartanoman

Of course it is Giants related! If any of Gabriel's recollections have truth to it, especially the Parcells juicy details about a new contract and more control in Giantland, in deference to George Young, then that would finally fill in the proverbial "rest of the story" which has been kept under wraps, most likely out of respect for Wellington and the Giant organization as a whole since it was Parcells' team since his boyhood. There has always been talk about it, but I really like the way Gabriel wrote about it in a manner that was not directly disrespectful to Young or the Giants, per se, but more focused on Parcells and Reeves in terms of what they aspired to become with the Giants that they never could.

But I do find interesting was the way he wrote about Mara and McKay's close relationship and suggested that John was doing him a favor by sharing the old axiom "Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it" with, of all people, Belichick, who has a long history with the Giants as both its coach and adversary; the latter coming with an opportunity to perhaps kick him while he's down.

I actually find Gabriel a bit ballsy to write such an article with bold conclusions even though they are lucid, logical and support how the events played out or might have played out, in Belichick's case in Atlanta. Writing about Mara possibly back-stabbing Belichick for the Atlanta job, although perhaps less about Belichick and more about lessons learned with the 1993 Dan Reeves hiring, still probably isn't a good look, regardless. But the whole Parcells thing, unless someone else with the Giants at the time can corroborate, is really putting his neck out and, if I were him, would have gotten a blessing from Parcells before even writing that because you won't even see as much as an inference in any of Parcells' many books that he left in 1991 because he wanted a bigger contract and more control in the front office. I may even write Gabriel and ask him if he reached out to Big Bill before publishing this.

I mean, none of it is really surprising, 30+ years after the fact, but it's pretty clear by now what's considered "taboo" subjects. If nobody else has printed anything on the subject, what gives Gabriel the go-ahead to do so?

A touch of scandalous history being uncovered, ala Jimmy Hoffa end zone burial ground material, surfacing in Giantland?

:hmm:

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Fletch

Wait a minute .... it is one thing to have George Young be GM and be like "we just want a coach to coach." Why the heck does the Atlanta front office have to make a claim like that.

Same holds true for John Mara. Seems to me like non-football guys playing GM ....and not going very far.

DaveBrown74

I'm not sure why Belichick would have wanted to go Atlanta. Yeah they have a couple decent players, but they have no QB whatsoever, and they're picking 8th. If I'm 72 and chasing a total wins record, that's not a team that's high on my list at all.

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 28, 2024, 06:39:49 PMI'm not sure why Belichick would have wanted to go Atlanta. Yeah they have a couple decent players, but they have no QB whatsoever, and they're picking 8th. If I'm 72 and chasing a total wins record, that's not a team that's high on my list at all.

If I'm Belichick, the wins are secondary; I want my cake, and eat it too. I'm an old dog too old to change my ways.

If he doesn't get his team this year, he will next year, power and all.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: kartanoman on January 28, 2024, 03:48:15 PMOf course it is Giants related! If any of Gabriel's recollections have truth to it, especially the Parcells juicy details about a new contract and more control in Giantland, in deference to George Young, then that would finally fill in the proverbial "rest of the story" which has been kept under wraps, most likely out of respect for Wellington and the Giant organization as a whole since it was Parcells' team since his boyhood. There has always been talk about it, but I really like the way Gabriel wrote about it in a manner that was not directly disrespectful to Young or the Giants, per se, but more focused on Parcells and Reeves in terms of what they aspired to become with the Giants that they never could.

But I do find interesting was the way he wrote about Mara and McKay's close relationship and suggested that John was doing him a favor by sharing the old axiom "Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it" with, of all people, Belichick, who has a long history with the Giants as both its coach and adversary; the latter coming with an opportunity to perhaps kick him while he's down.

I actually find Gabriel a bit ballsy to write such an article with bold conclusions even though they are lucid, logical and support how the events played out or might have played out, in Belichick's case in Atlanta. Writing about Mara possibly back-stabbing Belichick for the Atlanta job, although perhaps less about Belichick and more about lessons learned with the 1993 Dan Reeves hiring, still probably isn't a good look, regardless. But the whole Parcells thing, unless someone else with the Giants at the time can corroborate, is really putting his neck out and, if I were him, would have gotten a blessing from Parcells before even writing that because you won't even see as much as an inference in any of Parcells' many books that he left in 1991 because he wanted a bigger contract and more control in the front office. I may even write Gabriel and ask him if he reached out to Big Bill before publishing this.

I mean, none of it is really surprising, 30+ years after the fact, but it's pretty clear by now what's considered "taboo" subjects. If nobody else has printed anything on the subject, what gives Gabriel the go-ahead to do so?

A touch of scandalous history being uncovered, ala Jimmy Hoffa end zone burial ground material, surfacing in Giantland?

:hmm:

Peace!

I seem to remember more than a few columns that dealt with the Parcells/Young dynamic. I always thought BP was chafed a bit by the power structure, especially after the second super bowl.
" you can't expect me to cook the meal if I can't buy the groceries "

"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

TDToomer

Quote from: kartanoman on January 28, 2024, 06:47:02 PMIf I'm Belichick, the wins are secondary; I want my cake, and eat it too. I'm an old dog too old to change my ways.

If he doesn't get his team this year, he will next year, power and all.

Peace!

From who? He'll be 73! I guarantee he has coached his last NFL game
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

kartanoman

Quote from: TDToomer on January 28, 2024, 08:39:25 PMFrom who? He'll be 73! I guarantee he has coached his last NFL game

You would think so, and so do I. But there's this thing that Parcells tried to describe (competition, I believe it was), that drives you to keep pushing yourself to the brink. Belichick is no different. The only thing which will stop him are every NFL owner.

TDToomer

Quote from: kartanoman on January 28, 2024, 09:10:21 PMYou would think so, and so do I. But there's this thing that Parcells tried to describe (competition, I believe it was), that drives you to keep pushing yourself to the brink. Belichick is no different. The only thing which will stop him are every NFL owner.

Is Belichick forming his own franchise? Who is hiring him? He can want to coach till he dies but you kind of need a team to hire him
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

kartanoman

Quote from: TDToomer on January 28, 2024, 09:27:26 PMIs Belichick forming his own franchise? Who is hiring him? He can want to coach till he dies but you kind of need a team to hire him

Indeed. The answer is, of course, TBD. What we do know is that it sure won't be the Giants

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on January 28, 2024, 09:27:26 PMIs Belichick forming his own franchise? Who is hiring him? He can want to coach till he dies but you kind of need a team to hire him

There's talk that Reid might be retiring after this year and that Belichick could take over in KC in 2025.

TDToomer

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 28, 2024, 10:08:38 PMThere's talk that Reid might be retiring after this year and that Belichick could take over in KC in 2025.

Reid knows he is on the wrong side of 65 and is looking for the right time to exit. Good for him. Belichick doesn't seem to accept that he is too old to coach. My guess is the Chiefs will go young with their next HC.

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: TDToomer on January 28, 2024, 10:50:24 PMReid knows he is on the wrong side of 65 and is looking for the right time to exit. Good for him. Belichick doesn't seem to accept that he is too old to coach. My guess is the Chiefs will go young with their next HC.

Or give Spags a shot.

I think continuity with the pieces they have will be important

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on January 28, 2024, 10:50:24 PMReid knows he is on the wrong side of 65 and is looking for the right time to exit. Good for him. Belichick doesn't seem to accept that he is too old to coach. My guess is the Chiefs will go young with their next HC.

Makes sense.

I guess Belichick just decided he didn't like any of the opportunities in front of him this go around, or they didn't particularly like him. Chilling out for a year might not be the worst thing in the world for him. He's worked tirelessly his entire adult life. He can reassess next year, and with a whole year off to talk to people he can probably lay the groundwork and make the decision more easily, as can those he speaks to.