News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT- After his Super Bowl perfomance what do you think of Brock Purdy

Started by MightyGiants, February 12, 2024, 08:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

He did well under the circumstances. I thought Spags would get to him often but their line held up well.

I agree that he underwhelmed considering they had a 10-point lead with weapons at all skill positions. Kittle wasn't much of a factor in the passing game.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

uconnjack8

I think last night was a good demonstration of an elite QB vs a very good QB.   The elite QB had less of a supporting cast but still got it done.

I thought Purdy played well, especially the 1st half. Whatever Spags is doing to teams in the 2nd halves of these playoff games has been lights out. 

Feel like in OT Mahomes made the plays he needed to and Purdy came up just short.  He is young and will be around for a while.  I do wonder what he would look like with a lesser supporting cast.  We got a look at that during a 3 game skid.

AZGiantFan

I don't watch much football any more so this was really the first time I saw him over a whole game.  The thing I was struck by is that he has a long windup when he throws so he seems the opposite of quick release. 
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

kartanoman

Quote from: uconnjack8 on February 12, 2024, 11:32:16 AMI think last night was a good demonstration of an elite QB vs a very good QB.   The elite QB had less of a supporting cast but still got it done.

I thought Purdy played well, especially the 1st half. Whatever Spags is doing to teams in the 2nd halves of these playoff games has been lights out. 

Feel like in OT Mahomes made the plays he needed to and Purdy came up just short.  He is young and will be around for a while.  I do wonder what he would look like with a lesser supporting cast.  We got a look at that during a 3 game skid.

I like your assessment and there is no question Spags limited Purdy on what he could realistically do out there in the second half. He essentially took George Kittle completely out of the game and that was huge. We know that Kittle sustained a shoulder injury later in the game but battled back to finish. He also did a commendable job in containing Deebo which I felt was central for the Chiefs to have success on the defensive side of the ball. Deebo has been playing hurt throughout the playoffs and a healthy version of him would have yielded a different result, in my opinion, last night. But Aiyuk, Conley and especially Jennings all contributed to the receiving game even though the Chiefs' secondary was playing lights out.

But what was especially surprising was seeing the 49ers' offensive line get pushed around a bit in the second half. Trent Williams will be disappointed with himself for another less than stellar game (NOTE: he also had some struggles in the Lions game). The former Giant, Jon Feliciano, got banged up during the game. As the game progressed late into the 4th, and subsequently into overtime, it can be debated whether the 49ers became conservative, or the Chiefs defense became so dominant that they made the 49ers look conservative by comparison.

Being in Arizona, I generally watch either the Cardinals or 49ers after the Giants game (NOTE: truth be told, mostly the 49ers). So, in the last couple of years I've lived here, and watched Brock Purdy, yesterday was arguably the second time he has had to deal with a defense dialing up the type of looks and pressure that he's ever had to face in the NFL (NOTE: the other would be the Ravens game earlier this season which Baltimore won easily).

Purdy has just taken the ultimate ride that is every quarterback's dream: to lead your team into the Super Bowl and have a chance to win and become a champion. Even in defeat, he has now accomplished something that some quarterbacks in the Hall of Fame (e.g. Dan Fouts, Sonny Jurgensen and Warren Moon come to mind) have never even had a sniff of - playing in the big game.

There is more to Brock Purdy's story that has yet to be written. Last night, it was tabled so that a bigger story could be written, and that doesn't reflect negatively at all on the young QB.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Philosophers

Quote from: katkavage on February 12, 2024, 10:17:00 AMI agree in principal as far Purdy and most QBs are concerned, but seriously, do the Chiefs win three out of four Super Bowls without Mahomes? We have to recognize that he does things to win most cannot.

I dont know the answer but I would give more credit to Andy Reid.  Maybe if Joe Burrow or another great QB is in KC, the result is the same.  I think highly of PM but not every great KC play is because of PM.  Others executed them.

BluesCruz

If SF does not kick a low line drive extra point we would not even be discussing this premise

I thought both QBs were good

Neither is in the top 10 of all time by any means
time will tell
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

T200

Quote from: BluesCruz on February 13, 2024, 02:44:08 PMIf SF does not kick a low line drive extra point we would not even be discussing this premise

I thought both QBs were good

Neither is in the top 10 of all time by any means
time will tell
If Mahomes never played another down in the NFL, he's a lock for the HoF.

BluesCruz

Quote from: T200 on February 13, 2024, 02:53:04 PMIf Mahomes never played another down in the NFL, he's a lock for the HoF.

That does not make him a top 10 in my book.  Most of the QBs in that group excelled before they put dresses on the position

Roger Staubach
Joe Montana
Dan Marino
Tom Brady
John Elway
Joe Namath
Peyton Manning
Drew Brees
Brett Favre

The list goes on and on....

I have to laugh when a QB does just enough to win in Overtime- a virtual tied game, and the reaction is GOAT?  Sloppy game, line drive PAT. Give me a brake

Compare his SB performance to Phil Simms- who threw the football equivilent of a perfect game.

Another thing is Mahommes should avoid interviews.  He talks so fast with that squeeky voice, he gives me a headache. Sounds like Mickey Mouse. Needs voice coach lessons to throw in some pause for emphasis.  I never heard anyone talk like that before.  Annoying.  He is no Tommy DaVito thats for sure :-)

Mahommes game is much like Fran Tarkenton, only Tarkenton was a better player.  McMahon is a good comarable too

T200

Quote from: BluesCruz on February 13, 2024, 09:06:52 PMThat does not make him a top 10 in my book.  Most of the QBs in that group excelled before they put dresses on the position

Roger Staubach
Joe Montana
Dan Marino
Tom Brady
John Elway
Joe Namath
Peyton Manning
Drew Brees
Brett Favre

The list goes on and on....

I have to laugh when a QB does just enough to win in Overtime- a virtual tied game, and the reaction is GOAT?  Sloppy game, line drive PAT. Give me a brake

Compare his SB performance to Phil Simms- who threw the football equivilent of a perfect game.

Another thing is Mahommes should avoid interviews.  He talks so fast with that squeeky voice, he gives me a headache. Sounds like Mickey Mouse. Needs voice coach lessons to throw in some pause for emphasis.  I never heard anyone talk like that before.  Annoying.  He is no Tommy DaVito thats for sure :-)

Mahommes game is much like Fran Tarkenton, only Tarkenton was a better player.  McMahon is a good comarable too
You're the author of your book.

There are many that would have Mahomes in that list instead of Namath.

BluesCruz

Quote from: T200 on February 13, 2024, 09:57:53 PMYou're the author of your book.

There are many that would have Mahomes in that list instead of Namath.

All this Mahommes GOAT talk is irritating to say the least
He's OK, but mortal

How do you think he'd do on the Giants?   He has a very good team around him and great coaches HOF coaches

He was extremely lucky to have won that game.  SF was not ready for the big stage.  They blew it

The NFL has become a parity league.  There are no GREAT teams anymore

I hope the Giants find a good or great QB, and we will be right up there.
I'm pretty sure Tommy could go toe to toe with Purdy right now.....Mahommes
we need to find someone in this draft to go up against him.  I like Penix Jr and Nix.