News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Any interest in these free agent O-linemen?

Started by MightyGiants, February 19, 2024, 02:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Hadron

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Hadron on February 19, 2024, 02:40:44 PMOnwenu is interesting.

I agree. I also think Dotson is worth a look. 85.2 PFF in 2023 and he's 27.

Not sure what these guys will cost but guard is a position I have no issues paying free agents at. Lord knows we don't seem capable of finding them ourselves in the draft.

4 Aces

For those old school fans, think back to the 2000 season when the Giants signed Lomas Brown, Glenn Parker, Barry Stokes and Dusty Zeigler.

That's what I'd like to see, now. A bunch of chippy veterans who know how to play NFL football. They've GOT to stabilize this thing one way or another.

President Rick

have to watch for injury history, age and likely cap hit in the decision making process
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

killarich

gregf

Great thread Ritch. I'd prefer under 28 and would be ok with paying one of them top money.  Hopefully the results are far better than Solder.  Did we cut Zietler for cap reasons? 

kingm56

Quote from: 4 Aces on February 19, 2024, 04:21:31 PMFor those old school fans, think back to the 2000 season when the Giants signed Lomas Brown, Glenn Parker, Barry Stokes and Dusty Zeigler.

That's what I'd like to see, now. A bunch of chippy veterans who know how to play NFL football. They've GOT to stabilize this thing one way or another.

The problem is, the game has fundamentally changed, making a repeat of 2000s off-season very unlikely.  As a byproduct of colleges switching to primarily spread offenses, there are few quality linemen available. Thus, even 2d/3rd tier OL command significant salaries in 2024.  The Giants simply couldn't afford to replicate what they did in 2000. The Giants must get better at identifying OL talent in the mid-rounds; they have to find another DD, or Snee in the second round.

Jclayton92

Give me Dotson, and Hunt at Guard and Eluemunor at swing.

Just curious of those that want to fix the line forever over going quarterback in the draff, why does it have to be in the draft? It just makes too much sense to grab guards in FA and a swing tackle which allows us to do whatever we see fit in the draft.

Bob In PA

This is an area where I had hoped the Giants might be able to "make hay" in free-agency, because they don't need a tackle (they won't give up on Evan Neal; think about it; they still haven't given up on Jones!).

But going through the list of available guards, I don't see any worth squat except Onwenu, and that means we're probably going to have to get our man (or men) in the draft. 

Since no one would want a guard at Pick Six, the factor of sheer luck could (and probably will) come into play, and the Giants aren't a very lucky team.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Philosophers

If they can find a younger than 28 guard who is good, signing him should not break the bank and could help players around him and help fortify the OL.

Michael Onwenu is only 26 years old.  In 2023, he played right tackle for the Patriots.  In 2022, he played right guard for the Patriots.

I would love to see the Giants get him.  Slot him at right guard next to Evan Neal and if Neal falters again, move him to right tackle.  That's a lot of versatility out of only one player. 

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on February 20, 2024, 10:11:48 AMIf they can find a younger than 28 guard who is good, signing him should not break the bank and could help players around him and help fortify the OL.

Michael Onwenu is only 26 years old.  In 2023, he played right tackle for the Patriots.  In 2022, he played right guard for the Patriots.

I would love to see the Giants get him.  Slot him at right guard next to Evan Neal and if Neal falters again, move him to right tackle.  That's a lot of versatility out of only one player. 
I would like to see them get 2 guards, a swing, and an edge at minimum in FA.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Philosophers on February 20, 2024, 10:11:48 AMIf they can find a younger than 28 guard who is good, signing him should not break the bank and could help players around him and help fortify the OL.

Phil: But there's the rub... he's IMO the only player worth having (as I mentioned in my post above).

The problem is... he's the only guard worth having, so there will likely be a lot of interest in him.

That means someone is probably going to have to overpay to get him, and I don't think the Giants are in a position to do so (because they have so many needs to fill).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Philosophers

Quote from: Bob In PA on February 20, 2024, 12:46:59 PMPhil: But there's the rub... he's IMO the only player worth having (as I mentioned in my post above).

The problem is... he's the only guard worth having, so there will likely be a lot of interest in him.

That means someone is probably going to have to overpay to get him, and I don't think the Giants are in a position to do so (because they have so many needs to fill).

Bob

I just wonder how many teams need a guard as badly as the Giants do that they'd engage in a bidding war.  Giants are pretty far under the cap if my memory is correct.  I just feel like OL is where they need to invest in free agency.  No backups.  A tier 1 player.