News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

2024 NFL salary cap bigger than expected

Started by MightyGiants, February 23, 2024, 12:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

https://x.com/TomPelissero/status/1761085559420715325?s=20

For reference, the website Over the Cap assumed a cap of $242 million

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
Salary cap news:

The NFL announced that the 2024 Salary Cap will be $255.4M per club, with an additional $74M per club payment for player benefits, which includes Performance Based Pay and benefits for retired players. Total 2024 player costs will be $329.4M per club, or more than $10.5B league-wide.

The unprecedented $30M increase per club in this year's Salary Cap is the result of the full repayment of all amounts advanced by the clubs and deferred by the players during the Covid pandemic as well as an extraordinary increase in media revenue for the 2024 season.
12:48 PM · Feb 23, 2024
·
 Views
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Give me 2 guards, a DT, DE, a RB, and a swing

Jolly Blue Giant

I remember the discussions last year when it came to signing DJ. Schoen said there'd be a big increase in cap coming up to make up for the COVID years, and the keeping a QB is going to skyrocket, so getting the deal done before that, was important to them. A year or two down the road, DJ's contract will look low in comparison to similar QBs
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 23, 2024, 04:11:11 PMGive me 2 guards, a DT, DE, a RB, and a swing

As long as the RB is Barkley, I am on board with you

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 23, 2024, 04:14:10 PMI remember the discussions last year when it came to signing DJ. Schoen said there'd be a big increase in cap coming up to make up for the COVID years, and the keeping a QB is going to skyrocket, so getting the deal done before that, was important to them. A year or two down the road, DJ's contract will look low in comparison to similar QBs

All three of the big contracts the Giants signed last year are looking better
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 23, 2024, 04:37:58 PMAll three of the big contracts the Giants signed last year are looking better

This is the key point I think. Any recently signed player is now better value than we thought he would be. Since we have given out some big contracts recently, that's a positive thing for us.

The impact of this surprise insofar as signing new free agents in this offseason is not meaningful however, since it benefits all teams equally. It just means the market price on everyone available who has any sort of value will go up a little. It doesn't put us in any better of a position (as far as picking up new players) than anyone else. The benefit is all pertaining to players we have already signed.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 23, 2024, 05:14:59 PMThis is the key point I think. Any recently signed player is now better value than we thought he would be. Since we have given out some big contracts recently, that's a positive thing for us.

The impact of this surprise insofar as signing new free agents in this offseason is not meaningful however, since it benefits all teams equally. It just means the market price on everyone available who has any sort of value will go up a little. It doesn't put us in any better of a position (as far as picking up new players) than anyone else. The benefit is all pertaining to players we have already signed.

Well done, Jeff.   You saved me from writing this.   You did a great job describing the impact on NYG
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on February 23, 2024, 04:37:49 PMAs long as the RB is Barkley, I am on board with you
Why? He can't stay healthy, he will likely cost 3-4 times what other backs will cost, and his production and averages fell off a cliff. He would be one of the last backs I would sign.

Great teams don't pay for Rbs.

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 23, 2024, 10:25:53 PMWhy? He can't stay healthy, he will likely cost 3-4 times what other backs will cost, and his production and averages fell off a cliff. He would be one of the last backs I would sign.

Great teams don't pay for Rbs.

Then we can agree to disagree. My opinion in re-signing Barkley is only an opinion which is worth or worthless as anyone else's including yours. I don't know what he will be asking nor do you . He is the face of this franchise, our best offensive player, a captain, well respected by all the players. Yes they are intangibles , I know , but they to mean for something .

Jclayton92

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on February 24, 2024, 02:17:10 AMThen we can agree to disagree. My opinion in re-signing Barkley is only an opinion which is worth or worthless as anyone else's including yours. I don't know what he will be asking nor do you . He is the face of this franchise, our best offensive player, a captain, well respected by all the players. Yes they are intangibles , I know , but they to mean for something .
But they don't mean anything, did his captain status, respect, or intangibles win us more games last season or help him produce? It didn't and so while maybe that matters on a winning team, it doesn't on a rebuilding one which we are currently.