News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Fixing The NY Giants

Started by Ed Vette, February 24, 2024, 08:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Short Video, PFF's Sam Monson and Steve Palazzolo break down what the Giants need to do for success in 2024.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

katkavage

Mostly on target. I don't see them taking a tackle if they don't get a QB at 6. More likely it's a receiver. But if NE is willing to deal, I think the Giants might be traders with them.

Jclayton92

https://gmenhq.com/posts/rumored-asking-price-giants-patriots-draft-trade-no-brainer-ny-01hqb7h96sp0

Rumored price it would cost the Giants to move up to 3, and I think they would be dumb not to do it if factual. Their 1st round pick, and 3 2nd round picks is a no Brainer in my eyes for one of either Maye or Daniels.

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 24, 2024, 09:12:49 PMhttps://gmenhq.com/posts/rumored-asking-price-giants-patriots-draft-trade-no-brainer-ny-01hqb7h96sp0

Rumored price it would cost the Giants to move up to 3, and I think they would be dumb not to do it if factual. Their 1st round pick, and 3 2nd round picks is a no Brainer in my eyes for one of either Maye or Daniels.

I don't necessarily disagree but how do you fix the OL, the DL  and possibly get a decent receiver

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 24, 2024, 09:12:49 PMhttps://gmenhq.com/posts/rumored-asking-price-giants-patriots-draft-trade-no-brainer-ny-01hqb7h96sp0

With so many holes across the roster, trading away 3 starters would be incredibly foolish.

I would MUCH rather have McCarthy at #6, and a stud OG like Beebe or WR like Mcconkey or Corley, plus a CB like Rakestraw, Lassiter or Tampa in the 2nd. Not to mention another starter in 2nd of '25.

And I say this as someone not even sold on McCarthy. But that's the whole point. Not sold on any of these QBs, so none of them are worth that many assets.

brownelvis54

Quote from: Stringer Bell on February 24, 2024, 09:48:40 PMWith so many holes across the roster, trading away 3 starters would be incredibly foolish.

I would MUCH rather have McCarthy at #6, and a stud OG like Beebe or WR like Mcconkey or Corley, plus a CB like Rakestraw, Lassiter or Tampa in the 2nd. Not to mention another starter in 2nd of '25.

And I say this as someone not even sold on McCarthy. But that's the whole point. Not sold on any of these QBs, so none of them are worth that many assets.

Exactly

this video...Fix the giants by taking another first round LEFT tackle....lol..If you trade up you kill your opportunity to actually "BUILD" the TEAM. Just keep our draft capital and draft Nabers or Odunze at 6
The KING is in the building

Jclayton92

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on February 24, 2024, 09:36:52 PMI don't necessarily disagree but how do you fix the OL, the DL  and possibly get a decent receiver
You still have your 3rd, 4th, 5th and so on plus free agency.

Jclayton92

I am warming to the idea of fixing the oline in FA, drafting odunze or Nabers, and using our Seattle 2nd and 5th along with our 4th to trade for fields. Worst case he fills in for us this year over Jones and we find our solution elsewhere. Best case he's an elite Qb that the Bears didn't know what they had. Either way it's not that much risk because we are not using our own picks but ones we acquired

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 25, 2024, 07:34:59 AMYou still have your 3rd, 4th, 5th and so on plus free agency.

Joe Alt came to Notre Dame as a tight end and then adapted greatly to a left tackle position . Why do people assume that he cannot become an All Star Right tackle for The Giants ? Just because Neal is having his problems does not mean Alt is going to have them. By moving Neal to left guard next to Thomas , with JMS at center and will be improving and Alt as RT , you have the beginning of a possible quite good OL.

I just hope that Schoen's and possible Daboll's hubris doesn't prevent moving Neal. He would not encounter the issues he did as tackle.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on February 25, 2024, 12:39:18 PMJoe Alt came to Notre Dame as a tight end and then adapted greatly to a left tackle position . Why do people assume that he cannot become an All Star Right tackle for The Giants ? Just because Neal is having his problems does not mean Alt is going to have them. By moving Neal to left guard next to Thomas , with JMS at center and will be improving and Alt as RT , you have the beginning of a possible quite good OL.

I just hope that Schoen's and possible Daboll's hubris doesn't prevent moving Neal. He would not encounter the issues he did as tackle.
Where did I mention Joe alt much less assume that he wouldn't adapt to RT?

Evan neal has only played 20 games, which is a little more than one season, why should we draft a 3rd tackle in the top 10 in 5 years when the tackle we just drafted hasn't even played 2 seasons yet? Neal was improving game by game his sophomore year before Injury, with a new oline coach why wouldn't we assume that would continue?

The reason people don't want to draft Joe Alt is because there is better talent ahead of him ie QB and Wrs and tackle isn't the biggest need. You grab 2 guards in FA and a swing in the draft and let Neal develop with a good oline coach.

Neal switched positions his rookie year plus dealt with 2 different injuries but he's a bust, the same fanbase that is ok with Jones being horrible for year 6 is so eager to throw Neal in the trash after just 20 games, honestly blows my mind.

Thevsame

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 25, 2024, 01:46:36 PMWhere did I mention Joe alt much less assume that he wouldn't adapt to RT?

Evan neal has only played 20 games, which is a little more than one season, why should we draft a 3rd tackle in the top 10 in 5 years when the tackle we just drafted hasn't even played 2 seasons yet? Neal was improving game by game his sophomore year before Injury, with a new oline coach why wouldn't we assume that would continue?

The reason people don't want to draft Joe Alt is because there is better talent ahead of him ie QB and Wrs and tackle isn't the biggest need. You grab 2 guards in FA and a swing in the draft and let Neal develop with a good oline coach.

Neal switched positions his rookie year plus dealt with 2 different injuries but he's a bust, the same fanbase that is ok with Jones being horrible for year 6 is so eager to throw Neal in the trash after just 20 games, honestly blows my mind.

Thevsame

There probably more WRs available in the second round when we  have 2 picks than top notch tackles. Much easier to get a good WR later than a good tackle . Your QB next year is going to be Daniel Jones whether you like it or not. He has never had a decent OL to protect him .

I am in no way comparing Jones to Mahomes , ( I would probably be admitted to the psych ward if I did ) but KC did not have a #1 top receiver.Both KC and the 49ers have excellent OL.

WE can always agree to disagree and I am probably in the minority, but Joe Alt would be my pick over Nabers and Odunze, and I would not trade up for a QB. If by some chance one of the top 3 fell, then I might consider, but if that were the case we could probably trade down a bit and collect more draft capital.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on February 25, 2024, 03:01:51 PMThere probably more WRs available in the second round when we  have 2 picks than top notch tackles. Much easier to get a good WR later than a good tackle. Your QB next year is going to be Daniel Jones whether you like it or not. He has never had a decent OL to protect him .

I am in no way comparing Jones to Mahomes , ( I would probably be admitted to the psych ward if I did ) but KC did not have a #1 top receiver.Both KC and the 49ers have excellent OL.

WE can always agree to disagree and I am probably in the minority, but Joe Alt would be my pick over Nabers and Odunze, and I would not trade up for a QB. If by some chance one of the top 3 fell, then I might consider, but if that were the case we could probably trade down a bit and collect more draft capital.
So then what is your answer to our glaring Qb problem, Jones?

Also KC didn't need a #1 Wr because they have Mahomes, and the best weapon in football in Travis Kelce.

The 49ers had 2 elite wrs, #2 TE in football, the #1 RB and FB in football and the best defense and still couldn't beat Mahomes... so is it really fair to compare anything we have going on to what the best player this decade has?

Also KC had an average offensive line by most metrics, far from elite.

Solving the offensive line does not however solve Jones primary problem, his processing and reading defenses at the NFL level. He can't do it which is why NFL defenses have solved him, and why all we see on Sundays is 5-7 yards passes with Jones but deep shots when any other QB takes over.

Just because Jones has to be on the roster does not mean Schoen and Daboll are going to be the 3rd Hc and 2nd GM to lose their jobs risking their future with him. As Schoen stated clearly at the first convenient moment he had once the season ended, that they will be pursuing a Qb this offseason.

Also selecting a tackle for The 3rd time in the top 10 in 5 years is a horrible waste of resources especially while not knowing what you have in the 2nd one you drafted.

Ed Vette

When did fans get away from BPA in the first two rounds? The caveat of at a position of need is a misnomer. The Giants have multiple needs.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

If they try to fix the Giants and decide on a QB they cannot in my opinion trade up and give up draft capital as too many holes to plug.

Draft a QB, a stud WR and two guards who can compete to start like Zak Zinter.

Doc16LT56

Let's not overstate the value of a second round pick. The last three second rounders are JMS, Wandale, and Azeez. Anyone in their right mind would trade those three guys for a legitimate franchise QB prospect.

Second round picks are valuable, but let's not kid ourselves on how much they're actually worth.