News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- PFF NYG ranked 30th worst offensive line in NFL -

Started by sxdxca38, February 29, 2024, 09:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sxdxca38

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 01, 2024, 08:41:16 AMThe line was undoubtedly very poor last year. It was interesting and somewhat instructive though to see how each of our three QBs handled playing behind it.

I think there is some merit to what you have stated, as I do feel you usually present a balanced approach.

I would just add that at the end of the year the Giants played Philadelphia twice, and they give up over 25 ppg, and had one of the worst defenses.

Also Tyrod and Devito were able to feast off of Washington twice as well.

Whereas DJ went up against San Fran and Dallas, two top 5 defenses who give up less that 18.5 ppg, in his first 5 games before getting injured.

So I do think who you play against must be factored into how the qbs perform, because DJ over the years usually has a field day against Washington.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: sxdxca38 on March 01, 2024, 01:10:20 PMI think there is some merit to what you have stated, as I do feel you usually present a balanced approach.

I would just add that at the end of the year the Giants played Philadelphia twice, and they give up over 25 ppg, and had one of the worst defenses.

Also Tyrod and Devito were able to feast off of Washington twice as well.

Whereas DJ went up against San Fran and Dallas, two top 5 defenses who give up less that 18.5 ppg, in his first 5 games before getting injured.

So I do think who you play against must be factored into how the qbs perform, because DJ over the years usually has a field day against Washington.

I fully agree that Jones faced tougher defenses than the other two. Even taking that into account though and adjusting for it, if I were a big believer in Jones' abilities I would not feel good at all about how he looked this season relative to his teammates who play the same position on the same team. As I said earlier, given he earns many multiples more than the others and occupies a dramatically bigger portion of the salary cap, it should not require parsing of opponents and squinting of one's eyes to try to explain the relative outcomes. Jones should have been the clearly much better player, without question or debate. And he simply was not.

sxdxca38

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 01, 2024, 01:27:52 PMI fully agree that Jones faced tougher defenses than the other two. Even taking that into account though and adjusting for it, if I were a big believer in Jones' abilities I would not feel good at all about how he looked this season relative to his teammates who play the same position on the same team. As I said earlier, given he earns many multiples more than the others and occupies a dramatically bigger portion of the salary cap, it should not require parsing of opponents and squinting of one's eyes to try to explain the relative outcomes. Jones should have been the clearly much better player, without question or debate. And he simply was not.

I would have to acquiesce and agree with you, especially after seeing Tyrod perform  who I thought played relatively well, considering he makes a fraction of what DJ pulls in.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: sxdxca38 on March 01, 2024, 03:13:51 PMI would have to acquiesce and agree with you, especially after seeing Tyrod perform  who I thought played relatively well, considering he makes a fraction of what DJ pulls in.

I respect and appreciate your intellectual honesty.

What I would say in response is that it was, to be fair, just one season. And it was only a segment of a season. And the matchups Jones faced were indeed tougher overall than what the others faced. I don't think Jones is nearly as bad as he played in 2023. I'm just personally not a believer that he's ever going to be very good. And even if that last statement of mine is up for debate, his obvious proneness for very serious injuries is not.

sxdxca38

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 01, 2024, 05:45:02 PMI respect and appreciate your intellectual honesty.

What I would say in response is that it was, to be fair, just one season. And it was only a segment of a season. And the matchups Jones faced were indeed tougher overall than what the others faced. I don't think Jones is nearly as bad as he played in 2023. I'm just personally not a believer that he's ever going to be very good. And even if that last statement of mine is up for debate, his obvious proneness for very serious injuries is not.

Yes, I would concur, that no matter how anyone feels about DJ, I think we all can agree that the injuries he's had are more than a bit concerning moving forward.

Gman329

It's hard to have any faith that we can draft a decent OL.  Other than Thomas, we seem to suck at picking talent.  Peart, Lemieux, Ezeudu and Neal (7th overall, no less!) come to mind.  And now I'm worried about Schmitz!  To say he "struggled" is an understatement.  Somehow, he hasn't been put under the same microscope as Neal but he's just as big a concern. 

That said....fck it, draft Alt at 6, try Neal inside, hope Schmitz improves and for the love of God, sign a few competent Free Agent OLs, guys with tape, guys who you KNOW can play.  Then hope this new OL coach knows wtf he's doing.   

AYM

Quote from: Gman329 on March 02, 2024, 08:46:24 AMIt's hard to have any faith that we can draft a decent OL.  Other than Thomas, we seem to suck at picking talent.  Peart, Lemieux, Ezeudu and Neal (7th overall, no less!) come to mind.  And now I'm worried about Schmitz!  To say he "struggled" is an understatement.  Somehow, he hasn't been put under the same microscope as Neal but he's just as big a concern. 

That said....fck it, draft Alt at 6, try Neal inside, hope Schmitz improves and for the love of God, sign a few competent Free Agent OLs, guys with tape, guys who you KNOW can play.  Then hope this new OL coach knows wtf he's doing.   

To make it worse, it's rumored our brain trust didn't even pick Thomas - Thomas was picked because Jason Garrett lobbied hard for him.

Philosophers

I am concerned about how badly JMS holds up during a rush.  Is it strength or bad technique because he gets driven back and turned?

Would you draft the center our of West Virginia who is god like strong and move JMS to Guard or draft him to play guard and help JMS?

DaveBrown74

I don't want to use any pick inside the first four rounds on a center. We simply have too many other needs. We took the top rated center in the draft last year. He had a rough year in 2023 but so did the whole O line, and we had an incompetent O line coach. I'd rather see how he does this year before panicking and drafting another one at the expense of addressing a major need area. If he is bad again this year, then it's a different story in the 2025 offseason. As far as this draft, if there is a developmental center in rounds 5-7 that we like I have no problem taking one in that range.