News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Lombardi- No demand for QB Fields in the NFL

Started by MightyGiants, March 08, 2024, 06:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

I think pre-draft and pre-FA it's a hard sell.  After the dust clears it may be different.

Philosophers

Is it no demand or is it the price is too high?  I think the latter.

If no demand someone can offer a 7th rounder for him and it'd would be a low risk/potential high reward for the team getting him.

uconnjack8

Not sure why they feel the need to deal him.  It didnt hurt Mahomes or Rodgers or Rivers to sit for a year. 

Ed Vette

If I were the Bears, I'd hold on to him. It's only 6mm in cap for a backup or to start the season until Calib's ready.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

zephirus

There's the very real possibility that teams are interested in Fields, simply not at the Bears' asking price.  That seems more plausible than no team having any interest.  Early reports that the Bears initial asking price included multiple picks and none lower than a 2nd round pick.  He hasn't done anything in his short career to warrant such a bounty.  This feels like the Bears thinking they can fleece a team and get their new QB in Williams moreso than the market sentiment about Fields.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 08, 2024, 11:45:49 AMIf I were the Bears, I'd hold on to him. It's only 6mm in cap for a backup or to start the season until Calib's ready.

I suspect they intend to play Caleb week one. I would think there would be a market for Fields given he still has a year left on his rookie deal. But maybe not.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 08, 2024, 05:17:25 PMI suspect they intend to play Caleb week one. I would think there would be a market for Fields given he still has a year left on his rookie deal. But maybe not.
I was surprised, when the Fields thread came up a while back, that there was talk of the Bears passing on Caleb and drafting a receiver instead, or that they might be able to get a first round pick for Fields. At the time I said I might be interested for a fourth round pick, but not higher.

The discussions happening now make more sense to me. I think you're probably right that there is probably a market for Fields if the Bears are interested in a mid-round pick in return. I think there are QB hungry teams out there that would make that move. I think what Lombardi is hearing is that no one sees Fields as an automatic starter. They likely see him as a guy that could come in and compete or just settle into a QB2 job.