News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Azeez Ojulari and the EDGE position

Started by brownelvis54, March 08, 2024, 09:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

I like Kayvon Thibodeaux. There are some sites that say most of his sacks were in one game with a weak O-line. I say this is the NFL, it doesn't matter. I like the kid and think he was misused in the Wink defense. IMO we need another EDGE. When healthy Azeez Ojulari has the skills to terrorize offenses....key word HEALTHY.I get the sick feeling he will never play an entire season. Never. Jihad Ward is a nice player and if the price is right I hope we keep him. I would rather go through the draft then FA for an EDGE. Dallas Turner would be a nice pick, but he will go high. We could look at Turners teammate in round 2 Chris Braswell
The KING is in the building

ozzie

I agree 100% with your assessment of Ojulari...has the skills but often injured. I also feel he will never play a full season. Hopefully the Giants can find someone to compliment KT.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

nb587

Quote from: ozzie on March 08, 2024, 11:34:35 PMI agree 100% with your assessment of Ojulari...has the skills but often injured. I also feel he will never play a full season. Hopefully the Giants can find someone to compliment KT.
Not a loaded question.  Did Ojulari ever take over a game even when he was healthy?

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

ozzie

Quote from: nb587 on March 09, 2024, 07:37:07 AMNot a loaded question.  Did Ojulari ever take over a game even when he was healthy?
I don't think he ever "took over a game", but I do think he showed flashes of what he could do if he stayed healthy and was a consistent contributor. I'd much rather have him in the lineup than sitting on the sidelines.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

brownelvis54

Quote from: ozzie on March 09, 2024, 10:48:04 AMI don't think he ever "took over a game", but I do think he showed flashes of what he could do if he stayed healthy and was a consistent contributor. I'd much rather have him in the lineup than sitting on the sidelines.

Agree 100%. He hasn't taken over a game, but from what I have seen he has the potential to be very good. Having said that...it's hard to get better if you're not on the field.
The KING is in the building

Jclayton92

I would rather keep Simmons over ojulari at this point. I hope the retain Simmons, I think he could be a terror off the edge with the right DC.

Ed Vette

Simmons didn't show much last season. I don't know if he's a starter or a situational player.

Thibs had the sacks but was the bottom ten in pressures. He's also not the run stopper on the edge I would expect from such high a pick. He has great games and he disappears for games. The excuse that he had to drop in zone coverage a few times a game is weak.

Ojulari was a "steal" because of his injury and was expected to be so much more than he became. He flashed and has become a never has been.

Both those players should have benefited from the double team need and pressure exerted by Dexter Lawrence.

The expectation is that our new DC is going to rely on Pressure from the front and that means that the Giants can't be weak up front.

It took almost two years for the players to become competent in what Wink was building. He adapted and covered up a lot of deficiencies in talent. Rich posted an excellent video on today's modern multiple Defenses, where it employs anything from Cover Zero to Cover 7 and it completely flew under the radar here.

Losing Adoree and McKinney and Leo leaves this Defense woefully devoid of talent but all I read is how all will be fine. I got news for you guys who think bringing back Ward and Holmes type players and concentrating on building the Offense will solidify this Team.

No argument about bashing Gettleman but let's call a spade a spade. After two years, is this team any more talented than when Schoen took over? All the hype about how he had free rein, only to build piecemeal.

The DJ contract was a killer for a team in need of a rebuild. Mediocre free agents with the exception of Okereke and a lack of home runs in the draft leaves us with a hope and a prayer.

So to answer the OP. It's a lot more than OJ. And thats just the Defense.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

I dont see a 1st rounder to grab.  A small school athletic productive player in the 3rd round I'd be all for.

DaveBrown74

I don't have much confidence in Ojulari. I prefer him to that bum Lorenzo Carter we kept around here for four years with many fans continuing to believe he was just about to break out with a 12 sack type season, but I think he's extremely injury-prone, and there are big holes in his game. We definitely need help at edge. Even if Ojulari plays 15-plus games and has a solid season, you need more than two guys who can play that position at a quality level.

londonblue

You can never rely on oft injured players. A good Ojulari season is a bonus at this point. I expect us to add a respectable, not top of market Edge (Epenesa, Uche type), and draft someone like Isaac R2 or Greenland R3 as Edge is more important to Bowen's scheme than it was in Martindale's and he will always want fresh legs rotating in.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.