News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

John Runyan G signed

Started by MightyGiants, March 11, 2024, 02:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

killarich

Lets sign a Tackle.... Move Neal to RG ... Runyon at LG

Be done with the line (For now)

Resign Mckinney

If we miss out on one of the QB's .... draft Nabers or whoever at WR

Draft an EDGE and DT next few rounds

Let the youngin start at RB

EliWasrobbed

Another overpay by dumb Schoen. Packer fans on twitter say he's average, almost got replaced, but for the Giants he's better than what they have.

Schoen could not be a worse GM if he tried. fully expect him to trade up for JJ McCarthy given his stupid moves so far.
I don't preview my posts. I AM THE POST.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Saquon defender. Jones hater. Giant forever.

"live strong and prosper or devolve"

Drake Maye enthusiast.

Doc16LT56

Not a fan of the price tag but this is who they targeted on day 1 so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. They may see something more in him that what he's shown so far. Let's hope he plays with as much heart as his old man.

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on March 11, 2024, 04:02:39 PMNot a fan of the price tag but this is who they targeted on day 1 so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. They may see something more in him that what he's shown so far. Let's hope he plays with as much heart as his old man.
Just likes Schoen "saw more in" parris campbell, mark glowinski, etc??

He has been proven to be absolutely clueless and constantly overpays on guys he likes.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Drake Maye enthusiast.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: EliWasrobbed on March 11, 2024, 04:09:43 PMJust likes Schoen "saw more in" parris campbell, mark glowinski, etc??

He has been proven to be absolutely clueless and constantly overpays on guys he likes.
Schoen has a lot to prove. I don't disagree.

Gman329

Godammit, when do we sign someone we can actually be excited about? So sick of these baragain bin players for full price.  Great Day One: We lose Barkley and McKinny and pick up a "serviceable" Guard.  F&%$#! 

Rosehill Jimmy

FWIW, Randy Mueller had him as his 3rd best FA Olineman (19th overall)
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

DaveBrown74

I'd be lying if I said I was ecstatic about this signing. I appreciate that OG is a big area of need, but this still feels like an overpay. Overpaying for a mediocre free agent because he happens to play a position that we're desperately in need of was the hallmark of the Gettleman era.

With that said, I'm not a Packers fan and haven't studied this guy closely. So I'll give Schoen the benefit of the doubt for now. But I can't say I'm ecstatic about this. For $10mm per I want an above average starting guard. I don't expect a star for that kind of money obviously, but I want more than mediocrity.

madbadger

Quote from: EliWasrobbed on March 11, 2024, 03:58:47 PMAnother overpay by dumb Schoen. Packer fans on twitter say he's average, almost got replaced, but for the Giants he's better than what they have.

Schoen could not be a worse GM if he tried. fully expect him to trade up for JJ McCarthy given his stupid moves so far.

Stop with the overpaying BS and take a look at the red hot market for guards. That is a fair market price for a solid starting guard. There is such a lack of quality offensive line talent that any improvement through free agency is going to carry a premium. I said it last week before big money started rolling in for guards.

gregf

Quote from: EliWasrobbed on March 11, 2024, 03:58:47 PMAnother overpay by dumb Schoen. Packer fans on twitter say he's average, almost got replaced, but for the Giants he's better than what they have.

Seriously. The negativity is tiring.  I get we all vent at times. But I come here to chill, talk football, not get burdened with gripes.  I actually really enjoy following the offseason moves every year as the roster reshapes

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: gregf on March 11, 2024, 06:14:21 PMSeriously. The negativity is tiring.  I get we all vent at times. But I come here to chill, talk football, not get burdened with gripes.  I actually really enjoy following the offseason moves every year as the roster reshapes
It's not negativity it's the truth. This is objectively an average Oline player who was overpaid just like nearly all of Schoen's contracts.

Drake Maye enthusiast.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: madbadger on March 11, 2024, 06:09:44 PMStop with the overpaying BS and take a look at the red hot market for guards. That is a fair market price for a solid starting guard. There is such a lack of quality offensive line talent that any improvement through free agency is going to carry a premium. I said it last week before big money started rolling in for guards.

$10mm AAV puts him in the top 20 in the league. Considering that 64 guards start weekly in weeks with no byes, it would seem we're paying this guy to be above average. I get that every year the numbers go up and one cannot 100% accurately analyze this in the static way that I have, but it still gives you a general idea.

As I said in my post, I don't know enough about this player to say if this was a good signing or not. It would be lazy of me to just look at the league-wide guard pay scale and look at his PFF grades and make a conclusive statement based only on those two inputs. Still, I don't think it's unreasonable to have an initial feel for a move, and my initial feel is that this feels like a bit of a reach. Note that I said "feels like", and not "is."

I am personally a believer that there is never any justification for blatantly overpaying for a player. I'm not saying we have here - I am just stating my general belief. Being willing to overpay for a free agent because the "market is hot" or because we're desperate for that position is how you wind up with Nate Solder and Kenny Golladay on awful contracts. I have generally been a significant Schoen fan, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that that isn't going to be the case here, but my guard is up (no pun intended) on this move.

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 11, 2024, 06:32:29 PM$10mm AAV puts him in the top 20 in the league. Considering that 64 guards start weekly in weeks with no byes, it would seem we're paying this guy to be above average. I get that every year the numbers go up and one cannot 100% accurately analyze this in the static way that I have, but it still gives you a general idea.

As I said in my post, I don't know enough about this player to say if this was a good signing or not. It would be lazy of me to just look at the league-wide guard pay scale and look at his PFF grades and make a conclusive statement based only on those two inputs. Still, I don't think it's unreasonable to have an initial feel for a move, and my initial feel is that this feels like a bit of a reach. Note that I said "feels like", and not "is."

I am personally a believer that there is never any justification for blatantly overpaying for a player. I'm not saying we have here - I am just stating my general belief. Being willing to overpay for a free agent because the "market is hot" or because we're desperate for that position is how you wind up with Nate Solder and Kenny Golladay on awful contracts. I have generally been a significant Schoen fan, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that that isn't going to be the case here.

Well put. I'm not one to only focus on PFF either BUT the comments from Truthful Packer fans has my opinion actually as yours.

Schoen's nasty habit of overpaying guys who "could" be above average is why we are where we are at. Darren Waller? Daniel Jones? Glowinski? You pay for performance not potential.

Drake Maye enthusiast.

madbadger

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 11, 2024, 06:32:29 PM$10mm AAV puts him in the top 20 in the league. Considering that 64 guards start weekly in weeks with no byes, it would seem we're paying this guy to be above average. I get that every year the numbers go up and one cannot 100% accurately analyze this in the static way that I have, but it still gives you a general idea.

I am personally a believer that there is never any justification for blatantly overpaying for a player. I'm not saying we have here - I am just stating my general belief. Being willing to overpay for a free agent because the "market is hot" or because we're desperate for that position is how you wind up with Nate Solder and Kenny Golladay on awful contracts. I have generally been a significant Schoen fan, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that that isn't going to be the case here, but my guard is up (no pun intended) on this move.

The market has been reset this offseason. Only a fraction of those starting guards have had the opportunity to take advantage of the new market. You can't compare what he got paid to a guy who signed three years ago. You can only compare him to what guys are getting now and of the guards that have agreed to terms so far that past couple of days he's near the bottom.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: madbadger on March 11, 2024, 06:49:16 PMThe market has been reset this offseason. Only a fraction of those starting guards have had the opportunity to take advantage of the new market. You can't compare what he got paid to a guy who signed three years ago. You can only compare him to what guys are getting now and of the guards that have agreed to terms so far that past couple of days he's near the bottom.

I get that, and I acknowledged that in my previous post. I understand it's not a static analysis. However I still think that $10mm, even in the reset market, should carry with it an expectation of "solid starter" level play. I hope that's what we're getting.