News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The #1 reason we are guaranteed to draft a QB in round 1

Started by EliWasrobbed, March 11, 2024, 08:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EliWasrobbed

salary cap.

We just made Burns the 2nd highest paid pass rusher in league.. the assumption is we will also pay Kayvon. We are also paying Dex and Thomas massive amounts of cash. It is virtually impossible to sign Kayvo given Jones's contract unless we cut him.

What is the best contract in all of sports? The rookie QB contract.

The Burns trade solidifies we are not in rebuild mode, but going for the playoffs as soon as next year. I expect us to go QB round 1 by trading our 2nd and future 2nd  and skill position players rest of draft.
I don't preview my posts. I AM THE POST.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Saquon defender. Jones hater. Giant forever.

"live strong and prosper or devolve"

Drake Maye enthusiast.

uconnjack8

Kayvon is entering year 3.  They have him under contract through 2026 if they want.

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 11, 2024, 09:07:26 PMKayvon is entering year 3.  They have him under contract through 2026 if they want.

in theory then that makes it impossible for them to sign him with Jones taking up so much cap space (and now Burns). Jones is gone after this Burns move, not sure why more people aren't getting that still

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Drake Maye enthusiast.

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: EliWasrobbed on March 11, 2024, 08:20:26 PMsalary cap.

We just made Burns the 2nd highest paid pass rusher in league.. the assumption is we will also pay Kayvon. We are also paying Dex and Thomas massive amounts of cash. It is virtually impossible to sign Kayvo given Jones's contract unless we cut him.

What is the best contract in all of sports? The rookie QB contract.

The Burns trade solidifies we are not in rebuild mode, but going for the playoffs as soon as next year. I expect us to go QB round 1 by trading our 2nd and future 2nd  and skill position players rest of draft.

If you say we are not in a rebuilding moded and going for the playoffs , then drafting a rookie QB is not the answer . Getting a number 1 WR and/or drafting a stud OL would be the answer

uconnjack8

Quote from: EliWasrobbed on March 11, 2024, 11:30:36 PMin theory then that makes it impossible for them to sign him with Jones taking up so much cap space (and now Burns). Jones is gone after this Burns move, not sure why more people aren't getting that still
you dont have to sign him for 3 years.  We dont even know the cap hits dfir Burns contract or what the cap will look like in 2026.  Further, the first year or two of a contract are generally pretty low if it has certain types of guarantees.  So big hits on a Kayvon 2md contract would be in 2028.  I think it's a little too far out there to consider.   

Further, I dont see them keeping 3 DL on big deals in the future regardless.  Someone will be gone by that time. 

I doubt Jones is around after next year.

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on March 12, 2024, 03:37:31 AMIf you say we are not in a rebuilding moded and going for the playoffs , then drafting a rookie QB is not the answer . Getting a number 1 WR and/or drafting a stud OL would be the answer
you could give Jones Tyreek Hill, we will still not do anything with him as our QB.

Drake Maye enthusiast.

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 12, 2024, 06:01:11 AMyou dont have to sign him for 3 years.  We dont even know the cap hits dfir Burns contract or what the cap will look like in 2026.  Further, the first year or two of a contract are generally pretty low if it has certain types of guarantees.  So big hits on a Kayvon 2md contract would be in 2028.  I think it's a little too far out there to consider.   

Further, I dont see them keeping 3 DL on big deals in the future regardless.  Someone will be gone by that time. 

I doubt Jones is around after next year.

Kayvon isn't taking any 2 year deal no matter how much money it is

Drake Maye enthusiast.

B1GBLUE

Disagree. kayvon wont get paid until the jones contract is easily disregarded. he just finished his second year. hes not an all pro yet. at best, its 2 years until he gets a new deal.

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: B1GBLUE on March 12, 2024, 07:59:45 AMDisagree. kayvon wont get paid until the jones contract is easily disregarded. he just finished his second year. hes not an all pro yet. at best, its 2 years until he gets a new deal.

And then they have the 5th year option then the tag.

If he keeps putting up 11.5 sack seasons, he's not going anywhere nor being signed anytime soon.

uconnjack8

Quote from: EliWasrobbed on March 12, 2024, 07:48:01 AMKayvon isn't taking any 2 year deal no matter how much money it is

I never said anything about a two year deal.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: EliWasrobbed on March 11, 2024, 11:30:36 PMin theory then that makes it impossible for them to sign him with Jones taking up so much cap space (and now Burns). Jones is gone after this Burns move, not sure why more people aren't getting that still

What in the world are you talking about?  Jones is almost surely gone after this year and they don't have to negotiate with Thibs until 2026, 2027 if they exercise his fifth year option.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

coggs

Quote from: AZGiantFan on March 12, 2024, 12:04:30 PMWhat in the world are you talking about?  Jones is almost surely gone after this year and they don't have to negotiate with Thibs until 2026, 2027 if they exercise his fifth year option.
We say that, but watch him have a big year and then next February the arguments about him staying or going will be epic.

Fletch

@Eliwas.... how was Eli robbed?

Also don't mind the banter. Some people just don't like to be wrong that is all. Jones stinks. Others want you to a Gaints fan "their way". And if you are not then you are not a true fan. Like  :what: . If I know a player stink -- why do I want him on my team?

Painter

Aside from the silly notion that anything in this or any other Draft is "guaranteed", the fact that they now have signed Drew Lock, albeit on a 1 year, $5 million deal, makes me think it's even less likely that they will draft a QB in Round 1.

Cheers!

JT39

Quote from: Painter on March 12, 2024, 03:45:59 PMAside from the silly notion that anything in this or any other Draft is "guaranteed", the fact that they now have signed Drew Lock, albeit on a 1 year, $5 million deal, makes me think it's even less likely that they will draft a QB in Round 1.

Cheers!

I'm the opposite spectrum. I think a QB is now more in play and Jones will sit the entire year or possibly be a post June 1st cut.