News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Eagles deny breaking the rules in efforts to sign Barkley

Started by MightyGiants, March 13, 2024, 07:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miss86

MightyGiants

Quote from: miss86 on March 13, 2024, 07:46:08 PMReally, does it make any difference?

In the past teams have lost draft picks for such violations
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Wouldn't surprise me at all. This is a team that started Nate Sudfeld over a healthy Jalen Hurts in a regular season game in order to tank. This feels minor in comparison.

I have a feeling this tampering stuff goes on a lot. It is very hard to prove assuming conversations weren't taped or retrievable on an NFL-owned email server. It's not like the Feds or regulators get involved when rules like this get broken, the way they do in financial markets or other industries. Imagine all the WhatsApp conversations that are over the line that nobody ever finds out about.

With all that said, if there were a way to prove the Eagles broke rules, I'd be all for going after them. What Giants fan wouldn't want to see them lose a draft pick? I just doubt it happens. I have no problem believing the Eagles (and other teams) may have broken this rule, but good luck proving it.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 13, 2024, 07:59:41 PMWouldn't surprise me at all. This is a team that started Nate Sudfeld over a healthy Jalen Hurts in a regular season game in order to tank. This feels minor in comparison.

I have a feeling this tampering stuff goes on a lot. It is very hard to prove assuming conversations weren't taped or retrievable on an NFL-owned email server. It's not like the Feds or regulators get involved when rules like this get broken, the way they do in financial markets or other industries. Imagine all the WhatsApp conversations that are over the line that nobody ever finds out about.

With all that said, if there were a way to prove the Eagles broke rules, I'd be all for going after them. What Giants fan wouldn't want to see them lose a draft pick? I just doubt it happens. I have no problem believing the Eagles (and other teams) may have broken this rule, but good luck proving it.

The NFL could request to see Barkley's phone/records.  If he received a call from the Eagle's offices or from a cell phone of an Eagles employee they are busted. 

I hope the Giants push hard on this issue.  The Eagles got extra draft capital by making a big issue that one of the teams (I think it might have been the Cards) "tampered" with one of their coaches.  So if anyone deserves to be punished it's the Eagles
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

JT39

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Not sure that James Franklin is the best source for info here.  Did that info get relayed through Barkley's agent and Franklin just didn't know or didn't get into that detail? 

My guess is that nothing will come of this.  If they broke rules I sure hope they lose a draft pick.

On a side note, I think this "legal tampering period" is one of the dumbest things in the NFL offseason.  So the players agent is allowed to talk to other teams but the player isn't?  Further, to my knowledge, other players can talk to a player on another team and recruit.  Further, all these deals get announced prior to the league year, so what the heck is the difference? 

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

zephirus

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 14, 2024, 01:00:15 PMIt appears Andrew Brandt isn't optimistic that the NFL's investigation will be effective

https://x.com/AndrewBrandt/status/1768320904629489693?s=20

Funny that the NFL can find that Tom Brady was "generally more likely than not aware of a scheme to deflate footballs" but can't wrap their head around how to enforce free agency rules.  It does seem foolish on it's face that the teams can't talk to the player because it's almost completely unenforceable.

Football team calls agent...

Agent: Hello?
Team: Hi, we'd like to sign XYZ.
Agent:  Oh cool he's right here next to me, let me put him on the phone.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Just for the effect, I would love to pin this, or anything, on them. Smug bastards.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 14, 2024, 08:48:26 AMThe NFL could request to see Barkley's phone/records.  If he received a call from the Eagle's offices or from a cell phone of an Eagles employee they are busted. 

They can request that I guess, but to my knowledge they don't have the power or authority to compel anyone to hand over their phone records. There is no criminality here. Moreover if conversations took place on WhatsApp they're pretty much non-existent as far as any investigation would ever go, but even with regular phone conversations I don't see how the NFL can get access to any of that from a legal point of view.