News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

O-line

Started by Leek21, March 14, 2024, 10:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leek21

Has Schoen fixed the Oline ?

LT - Thomas
LG - Ezuedu, McKetthan
C - Schmitz
RG - Runyan
RT - Evans, Eluemunor

Because if he lost Barkley and hasn't fixed this line expect another terrible offense.

uconnjack8

I will say that both Eluemunor and Runyan graded out as pretty good pass blockers.  I cannot say I have watched much of them myself so if we use the PFF grades that were posted on here and are willing to believe they are at least a good baseline, then pass blocking should be improved.

I think that may tip the hands of where this team is headed in conjunction with Barkley leaving. 

The big questions in my mind are:

1) Will the pass blocking really improve (especially with less threat of the run)?
2) Who will be throwing passes in a more pass based offense?
3) Will there be an upgrade at WR (like the #6 pick)?
4) What is Waller doing?  Is another pass catching TE needed?

In Buffalo, where Daboll's offense operated as he wanted it to, the run game was definitely secondary and was set up by the pass and the QB was one of the primary runners.  Daboll now has one of the RBs from Buffalo who did alright in that system.   

Gmo11

I saw one reporter, I forget which one otherwise I'd post the tweet, that said he wouldn't be surprised to see before the end of the season:

LT - Thomas
LG - Neal
C - JMS
RG - Runyan
RT - Eluemunor

I don't hate it if I'm being honest.  I'd prefer Neal pull his head out of his ass and play RT but I'm not exactly confident of that happening so I'd love to see how he does at guard next to our best lineman who might be able to help him out a bit.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 14, 2024, 10:24:08 AMI will say that both Eluemunor and Runyan graded out as pretty good pass blockers.  I cannot say I have watched much of them myself so if we use the PFF grades that were posted on here and are willing to believe they are at least a good baseline, then pass blocking should be improved.

I think that may tip the hands of where this team is headed in conjunction with Barkley leaving. 

Something else along these lines is that I expect Daboll and Kafka to get more creative with their running game.

I expect Wan'dale to feature fairly prominently in their plans through jet sweeps and reverses.

With his skill set, I'd love to see Hyatt involved in the run game, at times, as a way to get him the ball more - although he did next to no running at Tenn.

McKenzie did some rushing during his stint with Buffalo, albeit with not much success. Even Gunner could be someone we see run the occasional jet sweep.

This is all to say I expect a very non-traditional rushing attack, which doesn't necessarily require the same type of OL performance or skills to support. I actually see a need for better blocking from WRs on the outside for this type of attack to work.

gregf

Quote from: Gmo11 on March 14, 2024, 10:24:41 AMI saw one reporter, I forget which one otherwise I'd post the tweet, that said he wouldn't be surprised to see before the end of the season:

LT - Thomas
LG - Neal
C - JMS
RG - Runyan
RT - Eluemunor

I don't hate it if I'm being honest.  I'd prefer Neal pull his head out of his ass and play RT but I'm not exactly confident of that happening so I'd love to see how he does at guard next to our best lineman who might be able to help him out a bit.

I'd be happy with this line up. Id re up Brederson and Phillips for depth as well.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Stringer Bell on March 14, 2024, 12:30:27 PMSomething else along these lines is that I expect Daboll and Kafka to get more creative with their running game.

I expect Wan'dale to feature fairly prominently in their plans through jet sweeps and reverses.

With his skill set, I'd love to see Hyatt involved in the run game, at times, as a way to get him the ball more - although he did next to no running at Tenn.

McKenzie did some rushing during his stint with Buffalo, albeit with not much success. Even Gunner could be someone we see run the occasional jet sweep.

This is all to say I expect a very non-traditional rushing attack, which doesn't necessarily require the same type of OL performance or skills to support. I actually see a need for better blocking from WRs on the outside for this type of attack to work.

I think you are pretty much spot on about this.  One thing I would say is required to get real production out of a non-traditional rushing attack, is a real passing attack.  And the Giants ability to do that remains to be seen.

MightyGiants

Quote from: gregf on March 14, 2024, 12:48:32 PMI'd be happy with this line up. Id re up Brederson and Phillips for depth as well.

Phillips suffered a serious injury last season.  It's uncertain when he would be available.  Brederson is currently an unrestricted free agent (as is Phillips)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

I don't think Schoen is done addressing the line yet. I wouldn't be surprised if he used our 4th round pick on a guy who can play guard or center. One name I'll throw out there is Wisconsin G/C Tanor Bortolini. He was an outstanding guard that was forced to convert to center last year due to injuries and transfers. He did a solid job at center but IMHO he could beat out Ezudu by the end of camp. He's also a freak athlete and we all know that Schoen loves guys with absurd RAS.

https://x.com/mathbomb/status/1764687358840967667?s=46&t=4x-JXwsXYehIZ1h3v6r-zQ

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Stringer Bell on March 14, 2024, 12:30:27 PMWith his skill set, I'd love to see Hyatt involved in the run game, at times, as a way to get him the ball more - although he did next to no running at Tenn.

I don't know that I agree with this.  His speed and hands are terrific but I haven't seen the kinds of moves or elusiveness that would warrant much involvement in the run game.  Not even in his college highlights tape.  Even on things like bubble screens I haven't seen that as a good match for his talents.  Don't get me wrong, I love the kid, but I think he wins with his speed, not shiftiness, IMO.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Stringer Bell

Quote from: AZGiantFan on March 14, 2024, 01:55:39 PMI don't know that I agree with this.  His speed and hands are terrific but I haven't seen the kinds of moves or elusiveness that would warrant much involvement in the run game.  Not even in his college highlights tape.  Even on things like bubble screens I haven't seen that as a good match for his talents.  Don't get me wrong, I love the kid, but I think he wins with his speed, not shiftiness, IMO.

I get it. But you don't need to be Darren Sproles to warrant a carry per game to keep defenses honest. As you said, he has elite speed, and that should play all over the field with the proper blocking scheme. And again, I'm not saying turn him into Deebo, just the occasional gadget play.

Shiftiness is not the only trait that makes someone a playmaker. And in order to make plays, they need to get the ball in his hands.

MightyGiants

If I had a dollar for every time I thought the O-line was fixed, I could buy a small island
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

I grade Schoen higher on fixing the line than Joe Douglas the GM of the Jets, who have an even worse line than the Giants and a 42 year old QB to protect.

LennG

Quote from: Leek21 on March 14, 2024, 10:17:30 AMHas Schoen fixed the Oline ?

LT - Thomas
LG - Ezuedu, McKetthan
C - Schmitz
RG - Runyan
RT - Evans, Eluemunor

Because if he lost Barkley and hasn't fixed this line expect another terrible offense.

ask me again in November.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss