News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The #1 reason we are guaranteed to draft a QB in round 1

Started by EliWasrobbed, March 11, 2024, 08:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc16LT56

Quote from: JT39 on March 12, 2024, 04:07:18 PMI'm the opposite spectrum. I think a QB is now more in play and Jones will sit the entire year or possibly be a post June 1st cut.
If Schoen and company are smart, yes, I think you're right. But the Giants haven't made a lot of smart moves over the last decade or so. So who knows what they have planned.

katkavage

The Giants can wait until 2025 or 2026 to get out of QB hell. But can we?

nb587

How is everyone do certain they know what the Giants will do without knowing who will be available when the Giants pick at 6 if they end up at 6?

As an aside, does anyone else think that theres an awful lot of trolling going on with respect to the Jones threads?  I've come to the conclusion that alot of whats being said in threads like this are designed to rile up fans

Ed Vette

Quote from: katkavage on March 12, 2024, 05:02:35 PMThe Giants can wait until 2025 or 2026 to get out of QB hell. But can we?
I walked away from my seat licenses after 2019 and I haven't looked back. I have a lot more patience not having skin in the game.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

Quote from: katkavage on March 12, 2024, 05:02:35 PMThe Giants can wait until 2025 or 2026 to get out of QB hell. But can we?

The Giants can, but can Daboll and Schoen wait?

Philosophers

I wonder if the Dabs/Schoen think they can use DJ as a means to save their jobs if they dont draft a QB and instead build the offense around DJ.  If DJ fails, they can say "you pressured us into working with him.  See..."

nb587

Quote from: Philosophers on March 12, 2024, 07:38:35 PMI wonder if the Dabs/Schoen think they can use DJ as a means to save their jobs if they dont draft a QB and instead build the offense around DJ.  If DJ fails, they can say "you pressured us into working with him.  See..."
I think its the opposite.  Draft a rookie QB and they buy themselves more time.  In my opinion, both Schoen and Daboll would have to really screw up to lose their jobs this year.  I think Schoen is miles better than Gettleman who got 4 years and pretty much dug the hole that Schoen is cleaning up.  And comparing Daboll to McAdoo and Judge is also a no contest.  We are on the track

DaveBrown74

Quote from: nb587 on March 12, 2024, 07:53:25 PMI think its the opposite.  Draft a rookie QB and they buy themselves more time.  In my opinion, both Schoen and Daboll would have to really screw up to lose their jobs this year.  I think Schoen is miles better than Gettleman who got 4 years and pretty much dug the hole that Schoen is cleaning up.  And comparing Daboll to McAdoo and Judge is also a no contest.  We are on the track

There is virtually zero chance of Schoen being fired this year. I guess it's not zero, but it is less than 1%. As you rightly point out, Gettleman got four years, and he had zero success. Schoen did have the 2022 season and has frankly handled himself as an ambassador of the brand much better than Gettleman ever did.

Daboll is a different story. Coaches get less rope than GM's, generally, both on the Giants and across the league. Moreover Daboll had all this drama with Wink and murmurings from other coaches that he is a hard guy to work for. Mara couldn't have liked all that. Of course, the Wink saga may have been equally if not moreso on Wink than on Daboll (nobody here knows all the details), but the bottom line is that there has definitely been some drama with Dabes, and the Giants for the most part are a rather staid organization that doesn't like that sort of stuff.

I wouldn't say Daboll definitely has to win this year to keep his job, but his security is less than Schoen's right now.

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: coggs on March 12, 2024, 01:11:22 PMWe say that, but watch him have a big year and then next February the arguments about him staying or going will be epic.

what is considered a big year for jones? 16 TD's?
I don't preview my posts. I AM THE POST.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Saquon defender. Jones hater. Giant forever.

"live strong and prosper or devolve"

Drake Maye enthusiast.

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 12, 2024, 05:38:47 PMI walked away from my seat licenses after 2019 and I haven't looked back. I have a lot more patience not having skin in the game.

Funny I'm having the very same discussion with my nephew (we share our tickets).  We're in for the 2024 season, my 63rd,but I seriously doubt I'll renew going forward.
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 12, 2024, 08:01:52 PMThere is virtually zero chance of Schoen being fired this year. I guess it's not zero, but it is less than 1%. As you rightly point out, Gettleman got four years, and he had zero success. Schoen did have the 2022 season and has frankly handled himself as an ambassador of the brand much better than Gettleman ever did.

Daboll is a different story. Coaches get less rope than GM's, generally, both on the Giants and across the league. Moreover Daboll had all this drama with Wink and murmurings from other coaches that he is a hard guy to work for. Mara couldn't have liked all that. Of course, the Wink saga may have been equally if not moreso on Wink than on Daboll (nobody here knows all the details), but the bottom line is that there has definitely been some drama with Dabes, and the Giants for the most part are a rather staid organization that doesn't like that sort of stuff.

I wouldn't say Daboll definitely has to win this year to keep his job, but his security is less than Schoen's right now.
If we win 3 or 4 games this season BOTH of them are gone. This is under assumption Burns underperforms and ew don't take a QB in the draft

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Drake Maye enthusiast.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: EliWasrobbed on March 12, 2024, 10:42:16 PMIf we win 3 or 4 games this season BOTH of them are gone. This is under assumption Burns underperforms and ew don't take a QB in the draft

If we win three or four games, I will agree that Daboll will be gone. Not so sure about Schoen. I don't think so myself. GMs don't get fired for two bad seasons. Especially on this franchise. Gettleman had four before he was fired. And he seemed to be fired somewhat reluctantly by Mara and it was positioned as a retirement.

katkavage

The best for all us fans and the GM too is to recognize that next year will be a struggle. Building blocks for 2025 and beyond. Unfortunately that first year, fun as it was set false expectations for the team. That's why a QB this year is a necessity.

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 15, 2024, 03:29:27 PMIf we win three or four games, I will agree that Daboll will be gone. Not so sure about Schoen. I don't think so myself. GMs don't get fired for two bad seasons. Especially on this franchise. Gettleman had four before he was fired. And he seemed to be fired somewhat reluctantly by Mara and it was positioned as a retirement.

schoen has missed on nearly all his draft picks (kayvon was an easy pick) and last year flat out missed on EVERY free agent.

I personally think Daboll overachieved with the roster Schoen gave him. Obviously last year was a disaster, but even then he got production out of Tyrod and Tommy. Even with 3-4 wins IF they draft a QB I see it difficutlt to see Dabol lleaving.

But you are right regarding the historical precedent.

Drake Maye enthusiast.