News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Drew Lock told he will compete for starting job like Baker Mayfield

Started by EliWasrobbed, March 14, 2024, 09:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: brownelvis54 on March 14, 2024, 09:51:02 PMEd...true, but in training camp, if the Giants see a better player (regardless of position) and Lock plays lights out, I could see a new starter. The NFL has many stories of this happening. Matt Flynn was to be the starter and a 3rd round pick Russel Wilson became the starter. Drew Bledsoe was "the man" and got hurt and some dude named tom Brady stepped in, at this point, anything is possible. But back to the OP...how is Jones guaranteed to be cut? It makes no financial sense.
guarantee was wrong word choice, but hearing Schoens pitch to Locke makes it far more likely. As mentioned the competition would be between Locke and the newly drafted qb.. it may be a 2nd rounder
I don't preview my posts. I AM THE POST.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Saquon defender. Jones hater. Giant forever.

"live strong and prosper or devolve"

Drake Maye enthusiast.

brownelvis54

Quote from: EliWasrobbed on March 14, 2024, 09:52:09 PMguarantee was wrong word choice, but hearing Schoens pitch to Locke makes it far more likely. As mentioned the competition would be between Locke and the newly drafted qb.. it may be a 2nd rounder.

Fair enough, I do believe if we draft a QB this year it we be because of two things that could happen.

1-A QB falls out of the top 5 and we take him. (Williams, Maye or Daniels) I dont see us trading up.

2- A QB fall to us in the 2nd round (Bo Nix, Penix, McCarthy)

I really get the feeling the Giants are building the team bottom-up and next year will address the QB situation
The KING is in the building

Ed Vette

Quote from: EliWasrobbed on March 14, 2024, 09:50:24 PMIf someone is throwing personal attacks my way I'd like to respond to them in kind however then I get labeled as someone who is "throwing insults"

Bullies and harassing people should not just be ignored . There is no block button?

You can have a different opinion than me about the giants, but constantly harassing ME as a person and poster is disrespectful and despicable
He's actually a respected Member of this community and a very knowledgeable fan. The interaction got off on the wrong foot. For now just ignore each other. If you want you can go into settings and put him on ignore but you should know that threads will be missing content and become confusing.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

JT39

You cannot cut Jones until he passes a physical which probably won't be until late July or early August anyways.

Jones most likely stays the entire yet and will be gone after the 2024-2025 season.

As far as him being toxic? That's just made up nonsense from our resident Jones basher. If jones has exhibited anything is that he is a good teammate and has created absolutely no controversy off the field.

Ed Vette

Quote from: brownelvis54 on March 14, 2024, 09:51:02 PMEd...true, but in training camp, if the Giants see a better player (regardless of position) and Lock plays lights out, I could see a new starter. The NFL has many stories of this happening. Matt Flynn was to be the starter and a 3rd round pick Russel Wilson became the starter. Drew Bledsoe was "the man" and got hurt and some dude named tom Brady stepped in, at this point, anything is possible. But back to the OP...how is Jones guaranteed to be cut? It makes no financial sense.
From my perspective after paying attention to how the franchise does things, if they are paying a player 46 million dollars for the season, he's not going to sit from the beginning of the season because a 5mm backup plays better in camp. Of course if he implodes after a few games, I can see them bringing Lock. Anyway that's how I interpret this. I could be wrong. You could be right. We'll see soon enough.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: brownelvis54 on March 14, 2024, 09:57:21 PMFair enough, I do believe if we draft a QB this year it we be because of two things that could happen.

1-A QB falls out of the top 5 and we take him. (Williams, Maye or Daniels) I dont see us trading up.

2- A QB fall to us in the 2nd round (Bo Nix, Penix, McCarthy)

I really get the feeling the Giants are building the team bottom-up and next year will address the QB situation

i can see us trading the farm for Maye, if somehow Patriots dont want to i think we're sadly gettin gBo Nix. McCarthy is going in the first

I acutally dont mind Drew Locke that much

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Drake Maye enthusiast.

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: JT39 on March 14, 2024, 10:00:55 PMYou cannot cut Jones until he passes a physical which probably won't be until late July or early August anyways.

Jones most likely stays the entire yet and will be gone after the 2024-2025 season.

As far as him being toxic? That's just made up nonsense from our resident Jones basher. If jones has exhibited anything is that he is a good teammate and has created absolutely no controversy off the field.
For those who have a better understanding of how locker rooms work, Jones the person would not be the issue, however his situation would 100% be a media distraction and TOXIC.

I won't bother to comment or debate further so I don't devolve into your way of manners and attacks.

Drake Maye enthusiast.

ralphpal1

Jones isnt the answer but we did make the playoffs and won a game with him
It makes zero sense to cut him
Also If we draft a QB
Isnt it better to learn from jones
Sit the QB for a year

spiderblue43

The Giants are "locked" into Jones' contract regardless of the Lock signing this year. That would be a fireable offense if Schoen were to leave the Giants in worse cap hell by cutting him

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: ralphpal1 on March 14, 2024, 11:29:13 PMJones isnt the answer but we did make the playoffs and won a game with him
It makes zero sense to cut him
Also If we draft a QB
Isnt it better to learn from jones
Sit the QB for a year

please tell me what anyone could learn from Daniel Jones given what we saw from his game last year. He regressed, is unsure of himself, has no awareness of second reads, never reads and audibles what the defense gives him, and has no sense of how to protect himself as a QB.

Drake Maye enthusiast.

MightyGiants

Two thoughts:

1)  I have no idea what Schoen and company are planning in terms of a QB moving forward

2)  I have to think Schoen is a bit pissed at Seahawks GM as Schneider is speaking out of school.  From what I have seen over the decades, GMs normally don't make comments about what other teams are planning, especially when the other team has not made those plans public.  Then again, this could also be Schneider doing Schoen a favor and throwing up a little smoke.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Everyone is overthinking this. Rest assured, Schoen and company are not "fans with opinions". They have so much more information about players, athleticism, processing, etc., than any fan watching from the comfort of their living room couch or from a seat in the stadium

The Giants LIKE Jones and believe in him. Fans who believe that the QB is the only person on the team responsible for wins, do not understand the concept of "team" or the need for "continuity", "protection", adequate playmakers, game-planning, etc

Here's the skinny: Lock was signed as a backup to replace Taylor. Imagine that!  :doh:

Schoen/Daboll are juggling an incredible amount of inside work (financial dealings, juggling cap, draft preparation, free agency, watching hundreds of hours of tape (and not highlight clips on YouTube), managing the coaching carousel, players' health maintenance, strategies [both short and long term], public image, media, internal privacy, etc.) in order to give DJ a shot to prove what they believe he has in him. They do NOT go to fan boards to decide a QBs worth based on negative comments from eternally pessimistic fans (self-proclaimed experts lol) who believe they have all the answers and know far more than the coaches and players...yet have zero experience or any remote career in that field...

Here's the lineup:
QB1 DJ
QB2 Lock
QB3 Devito
QB4 Eason
QB5 (potential draft pick to fight for QB3 and later, possibly QB2 or even QB1 someday)
And it goes without saying that every one of those QBs are vying to move up a rung on the ladder (well, except Jones who is trying to keep on the rung he's on) and are prepared to prove they are worthy as soon as injuries start piling up

Enjoy the game for what it is: entertainment while we eat chili, junk food, drink beer, and scream at our TV sets
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: