News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - Keenan Allen traded to Bears

Started by AYM, March 14, 2024, 11:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AYM

Why this is huge for the Giants:

With Arizona trading Rondale Moore, and San Diego losing both WRs, WR is a huge need for both of them, increasing the likelihood that at least one of those big 4 QBs will be there at #6.

And if it's not a QB that Schoen or Daboll like, someone likely will, meaning we could flip the pick.

spiderblue43

Quote from: AYM on March 14, 2024, 11:29:11 PMWhy this is huge for the Giants:

With Arizona trading Rondale Moore, and San Diego losing both WRs, WR is a huge need for both of them, increasing the likelihood that at least one of those big 4 QBs will be there at #6.

And if it's not a QB that Schoen or Daboll like, someone likely will, meaning we could flip the pick.

The Vikings seem to be lurking as suitors trading up for JJ.

If you're right, then a trade down could happen or qb an option now. And either Nabers or Odunze should be there. Very fluid position currently.

uconnjack8

I feel like #6 pick is going to be WR.  The offense needs a big boost and a true #1 WR does that. 

Gmo11

Quote from: AYM on March 14, 2024, 11:29:11 PMWhy this is huge for the Giants:

I don't know that it really impacts the Giants all that much. The first 3 picks are going to be QBs in some order. Arizona and SD are going forward with their QBs so they weren't taking QB4. And everyone knows the Giants will likely take QB4. So unless you think this makes SD less likely to trade that pick this trade does not have much of an impact towards the Giants.

What does seem to be the case is that without a trade this draft should go

QB
QB
QB
WR
WR

Which means the Giants get left with either the 4th QB or the 3rd WR. Not ideal.

spiderblue43

The Chargers, however, weren't taking a qb with Herbert. But I thought of them as a potential trade partner with the Vikings. Now, no Allen (coming off a career year) may force their hand to draft a wr.

That's when the intrigue could really ramp up. JJ, whom they may covet, and the Norsemen; who definitely want him. Adding to this, what if the Pats shock us and take the best player in the draft: MHJ? 

:-??

spiderblue43

Quote from: Gmo11 on March 15, 2024, 12:23:18 AMI don't know that it really impacts the Giants all that much. The first 3 picks are going to be QBs in some order. Arizona and SD are going forward with their QBs so they weren't taking QB4. And everyone knows the Giants will likely take QB4. So unless you think this makes SD less likely to trade that pick this trade does not have much of an impact towards the Giants.

QB
QB
QB
WR
WR

Which means the Giants get left with either the 4th QB or the 3rd WR. Not ideal.

Nabers and Odunze you could go back and forth on. I've said all along I'd like to see them add picks, not JJ.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: spiderblue43 on March 15, 2024, 12:31:28 AMThe Chargers, however, weren't taking a qb with Herbert. But I thought of them as a potential trade partner with the Vikings. Now, no Allen (coming off a career year) may force their hand to draft a wr.

That's when the intrigue could really ramp up. JJ, whom they may covet, and the Norsemen; who definitely want him. Adding to this, what if the Pats shock us and take the best player in the draft: MHJ? 

:-??

I do think there's the possibility of the Pats taking MHJ, but only if the QB3 they're left with is someone they're just not sold on. If that happens, then things really do get interesting.

Would the Cards pivot and take Nabers? It would seem that with QB3 on the board, that pick becomes very valuable and a trade down seems likely.

If Cards stick with WR and pick Nabers, then what does SD do? QB3 is still on the board, so again, a trade down would seem to make sense.

Seems like no matter the scenario, the Giants are choosing between JJ and Odunze. Unless Pats take MHJ and both Cards and SD stand pat and draft WR2 and WR3, in which case the Giants have a very interesting decision between QB3 and QB4, but that seems highly unlikely.

MightyGiants

I would be fine with the Giants drafting WR 3 at the 6th slot and I would be fine with them drafting JJ.  I would also be fine with a trade down as the team now needs more draft picks. 

The only thing I wouldn't be fine with is the team wasting yet more draft capital to trade up.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Had a feeling both Allen and William's would be gone from SD.  Toi much money in aging WRs.

Gmo11

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 15, 2024, 09:16:21 AMI would be fine with the Giants drafting WR 3 at the 6th slot and I would be fine with them drafting JJ.  I would also be fine with a trade down as the team now needs more draft picks. 

The only thing I wouldn't be fine with is the team wasting yet more draft capital to trade up.

Given the fact that the QBs in this draft are so highly regarded, the QBs in next year's draft are not, and the top 3 teams all have QB needs of their own...I'm with you.  The price to move up would be astronomical. 

It's fine if you could guarantee you're getting a Mahomes...but even the best prospects (and Williams is very much that) have a chance to bust.  You'd be taking an awfully big gamble to try and get up there and if he's not Mahomes 2.0 the rest of the team is so terrible around him that you're just locked into a lot of losing.

I think they pretty much have to stay where they are and take the best QB or WR that's left.  It's not a great spot to be in but they made their bed by winning pointless games and not trading Barkley/McKinney when they had the chance.

The only other thing I've been pondering about all this is what exactly would the price for Justin Fields be?  I'm not enamored with him persay...but if the price falls all the way to a 3rd or even 4th round pick I think they'd have to consider it. 

Just_jimmy

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 15, 2024, 12:09:45 AMI feel like #6 pick is going to be WR.  The offense needs a big boost and a true #1 WR does that.
Hopefully they're so good they'll be able to throw it and then run and catch.

Otherwise the defence best hope we're getting a proper QB.  Anything else is failure.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Gmo11 on March 15, 2024, 12:23:18 AMI don't know that it really impacts the Giants all that much. The first 3 picks are going to be QBs in some order. Arizona and SD are going forward with their QBs so they weren't taking QB4. And everyone knows the Giants will likely take QB4. So unless you think this makes SD less likely to trade that pick this trade does not have much of an impact towards the Giants.

QB
QB
QB
WR
WR

In the consensus mock draft of tens of thousands, they have Joe Alt going 5th, Nabors going 6th, Fashanu going 7th, Turner 8th, Odunze 9th, Fuaga 10th, McCarthy 11th https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mock-drafts/2024/consensus-mock-draft-2024

If we know anything about previous drafts, pretty much everything we expect goes right out the window on draft day. Shockingly different from the carefully layed out plan suggested by the Gurus of NFLTV and other sources
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

uconnjack8

Quote from: Just_jimmy on March 15, 2024, 12:55:53 PMHopefully they're so good they'll be able to throw it and then run and catch.

Otherwise the defence best hope we're getting a proper QB.  Anything else is failure.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I agree the QB position needs to be addressed, but I don't see how this team is getting one of the top 3 this year.  and drafting a QB that you don't feel strongly about is not a good idea.

I also think ownership and/or Schoen and Daboll want to see if Jones can do it with a better cast.  I think ownership really wants to give Jones another year to prove they were right to sign him.  And given previous comments they have made about not setting people up for success, I don't see how this would be different. 

Now if whoever the Giants think is the best QB in the draft falls, then I could definitely see QB at 6, but assuming that guy is gone by pick 3, I think its WR.  They have a glaring need for a WR1 and whether they have the QB or not there signings this offseason point to a more pass oriented attack.  Tough to do that with no real WR1 regardless of QB.

DaveBrown74

Are we calling the top end of the QB draft class "the big four" now and no longer "the big three"?

Gmo11

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 15, 2024, 01:06:32 PMIn the consensus mock draft of tens of thousands, they have Joe Alt going 5th, Nabors going 6th, Fashanu going 7th, Turner 8th, Odunze 9th, Fuaga 10th, McCarthy 11th https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mock-drafts/2024/consensus-mock-draft-2024

If we know anything about previous drafts, pretty much everything we expect goes right out the window on draft day. Shockingly different from the carefully layed out plan suggested by the Gurus of NFLTV and other sources

Was that before or after the Chargers lost their top two WRs though? That's a rather glaring need for them all of a sudden.  Anything is certainly possible but without a trade I don't see how any of the top 5 picks don't end up as a QB or a WR