News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

One GM- There are 4 top QBs in this draft

Started by MightyGiants, March 15, 2024, 10:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

If the giants are in love with a top 3 guy, they are going to have mortgage the farm to move up to the top 3 and the only viable options is the Pats.

Unless they view Fields as a reclamation project they can salvage and pick him up with his depreciating value.

You've said it before but those meaningless wins really did screw the Giants.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

The odds of Giants having a shot at MH Jr., have increased, assuming Schoen's not going to draft a QB. Each day the 6th pick gets more and more interesting. I just pray that, for once, it works out for us without trading up. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

https://x.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1768659955211506051?s=20

Dov Kleiman
@NFL_DovKleiman
𝐑𝐞𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭: There is talk that the #Giants are planning on taking QB JJ McCarthy at pick #6 in this year's draft, per
@Connor_J_Hughes

"League sources spoke highly of McCarthy when polled by SNY. One high-ranking executive said he'll be a 'better pro than college player.' Another general manager said he has everything teams look for—size, athleticism, arm strength, accuracy, and playing in a pro-style offense."
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

JT39

Arizona is taking MHJr. They just traded their best WR and let Brown go.

They have zero weapons on the outside.

Gmo11

The problem with all of this is that teams like the Vikings KNOW the Giants are going to take a QB and are loading up to jump them.  The Giants don't have the ammunition to really compete in that game.  Their best hope is that SD/Arizona become so enamored with WRs that they simply turn down monumental offers (plural) to take MHJ and Nabers/Rome.  It'll be very interesting to see what happens draft day and what offers were out there after the fact if a trade doesn't materialize.

WheresDayne

If there are 4 blue chip QB's and 2 blue chip WR's and we pick 6th, just let the draft come to you and pick the BPA.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Gmo11 on March 15, 2024, 11:47:58 AMThe problem with all of this is that teams like the Vikings KNOW the Giants are going to take a QB and are loading up to jump them.  The Giants don't have the ammunition to really compete in that game.  Their best hope is that SD/Arizona become so enamored with WRs that they simply turn down monumental offers (plural) to take MHJ and Nabers/Rome.  It'll be very interesting to see what happens draft day and what offers were out there after the fact if a trade doesn't materialize.

My gut feeling is the Giants are staying put and selecting one of the WRs.  I am assuming they are keeping Jones (most agree with me) they just signed Lock and I think they want to try and get a difference maker at WR to see if Jones or Lock can get it done with what they hope is a better surrounding cast.

JT39

Quote from: WheresDayne on March 15, 2024, 11:54:45 AMIf there are 4 blue chip QB's and 2 blue chip WR's and we pick 6th, just let the draft come to you and pick the BPA.

We need a QB. That's why you have to get him.

katkavage

I expect the Giants to deal up to either 3 or 4 in the next couple of weeks.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 15, 2024, 11:32:57 AMThe odds of Giants having a shot at MH Jr., have increased, assuming Schoen's not going to draft a QB. Each day the 6th pick gets more and more interesting. I just pray that, for once, it works out for us without trading up. Bob

Could very well happen. IMHO, if the Giants stay pat, they will probably take one of Harrison, Nabors, or Odunze, depending on who's left on the board. If all three are still on the board (doubtful), the deciding point might come down to "personality" and "character" of the player, as all of them have "pro bowl" written all over them if they have the right character. I'm sure the Giants are deep-diving into their personal lives, and it could have a big impact in the direction they go

If the Giants are hell-bent on drafting a QB (and I don't think they are, but I could be wrong), I would think using a 2nd round pick on Nix or Penix...or a 3rd on Pratt or Rattler...or even a fourth on Travis...and grooming them for the future, rather than rolling the dice in the first and hoping for a specific outcome. When the dust settles, anyone of the top 8 - 10 QBs taken in the draft could sift out to become a franchise guy. Who knows? It all comes down to "luck", as the QB lottery seldom pans out as expected
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

londonblue

Or Schoen really is planning to do exactly what he said he would, Jones plus a good back up (Lock), and all the QB smoke is doing is forcing someone to trade into 4 or 5 meaning at worst we get our WR2.

I had come around to seeing the logic in McCarthy but I like the Lock addition for us as a fit with Daboll. I am not at all sure I am more confident McCarthy would work out than I am Lock will.

If we do not draft a QB and neither Jones nor Lock cut it then we will likely have another top pick next year and a good shot at getting to draft QB1 or 2. Yes, the 2025 QB class looks weaker seen today but there is still a better than fair chance that is as good as taking QB4 this year.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

ozzie

Quote from: WheresDayne on March 15, 2024, 11:54:45 AMIf there are 4 blue chip QB's and 2 blue chip WR's and we pick 6th, just let the draft come to you and pick the BPA.
Agree. If the Giants stay at 6 there will more than a few good players available to plug one on the still many holes on the roster. Stud WR's, Stud OT's, I'd even be ok with taking Bowers and telling Waller they just made his decision easier. Schoen doesn't have many picks this draft. I like the moves he's made so far, but I wouldn't give any more away trying to move up 2 spots.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

katkavage

Schoen, and Giants fans should know, that 2024 is going to be a rebuild year. If they give up their second round pick to move up a bit, and maybe a second rounder next year, how will that change 2024? They have improved the offensive line in free agency and will address it more later in the draft. They have improved the defensive line with the acquisition of Burns. They will have holes next year but they will be easier to fill if those holes are receiver and cornerback than they would be if it was a QB they needed next year. Next year should not be in the equation. But 2025 should be. It's football building 101 if you understand where your team is.