News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

On a scale of 1-10 how ready is NYG to draft and develop a QB

Started by MightyGiants, March 17, 2024, 12:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Over the years, my views have evolved to the point that I believe how ready a team is to develop a QB prospect is just as important as the prospect they draft.  A team with an excellent coaching staff, solid pass protection, and good or great receiving targets will be far more successful in drafting a QB than a team that lacks some or all of these critical elements.

So on a scale of 1-10 where 1 is a team is a mess and are completely ill-prepared to develop a rookie QB and ten is the team has an ideal situation to draft and develop a QB, where would you rate the Giants?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I guess I'd say no less than a 7. Daboll is widely viewed around the league as a QB guru, which is an absolutely huge positive by itself. They have good assistants like Shay Tierney and the new O line coach, and they have some young pieces in the offense that the prospect can develop with. The O line has also been improved in free agency and may be improved further in the draft. Obviously, they will need more talent in the offense, but that wasn't really the question. In terms of having the right people around like Daboll to help a young QB develop, I think they're in pretty good shape.

Jolly Blue Giant

Unless they find a way to get more assets, I doubt they draft a QB for development. With only 6 picks and at least 7 holes (QB not one of them) to fill, it seems higly unlikely. So I'd put a number of "3" on the chances...and only if they thought there was a really good one who fell

I suspect they'll pick up a QB in the UDFA pool...maybe a Kedon Slovis (Yale) or Austin Reed (W. Kentucky) to develop for a future backup. Truth is, I have no clue what goes through Schoen's mind  :-??

I simply think that any rumor of a QB for the Giants this year is smoke in an attempt to get the fox to chase the rabbit down a hole
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

londonblue

I think the HC/OC/QB coach trio is a positive

The D is a neutral but could be a + if we can upgrade our DB group

The OL is neutral/unproven with a new coach and 4 new players in the mix plus JMS having a season of experience/strength work

The skill positions are a - with the Waller uncertainty but if Wandale, Hyatt develop and we add a solid day 2 pick-up could be league average

So, overall I'd say right now we are an 'average' 5/6 situation for a new QB to come in but it would not take much to improve to a 7.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Jclayton92

Not so much of an if we ready as much as it is getting the right Qb.

Philosophers

I say a 5 or 50-50.  Two years ago they developed DJ toward improvement then last year they did not get a TE or RB to help Neal block his guy which seemed like the logical short term fix so he and every QB failed.

MightyGiants

I would say best case if everything works out in the Giants favor they are a 7 in terms of being ready

However, having been burned for a decade, I am taking I will believe it when I see it approach to NYG fixing their line

I also am not sold that Hyatt will suddenly become the number-one receiving weapon the Giants have lacked since they traded away OBJ.

I think the floor is like a 4
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 17, 2024, 12:11:09 PMI guess I'd say no less than a 7. Daboll is widely viewed around the league as a QB guru, which is an absolutely huge positive by itself. They have good assistants like Shay Tierney and the new O line coach, and they have some young pieces in the offense that the prospect can develop with. The O line has also been improved in free agency and may be improved further in the draft. Obviously, they will need more talent in the offense, but that wasn't really the question. In terms of having the right people around like Daboll to help a young QB develop, I think they're in pretty good shape.

I like the idea from where you are coming from, but my only concern would be that Daboll needs to be spending more time as a Head Coach than a QB Development Coach unless he is delegating that to his Offensive Coordinator and QB Coach.

If he can get all coordinators on the offensive side of the ball on the same sheet of music, first and foremost, then let's evaluate Daboll's system for development of not just the QB, but the offense as a whole.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

katkavage

I have no idea. No one does. All I know is if they aren't ready they shouldn't be coaching.

JT39

I think they're getting closer. If the OLine can be a solid group and draft a WR in round 2. Our defense should be pretty decent.

May take a year or two but we seem to be finally heading in the right direction.

MightyGiants

Quote from: kartanoman on March 17, 2024, 05:42:46 PMI like the idea from where you are coming from, but my only concern would be that Daboll needs to be spending more time as a Head Coach than a QB Development Coach unless he is delegating that to his Offensive Coordinator and QB Coach.

If he can get all coordinators on the offensive side of the ball on the same sheet of music, first and foremost, then let's evaluate Daboll's system for development of not just the QB, but the offense as a whole.

Peace!

It's possible that one of the reasons Kafka was given the assistant HC title was so that Daboll could spend more time with a rookie QB.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE