News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Interesting Commentary from Carl Banks on Daniel Jones

Started by MightyGiants, March 15, 2024, 02:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

sxdxca38

Quote from: T200 on March 15, 2024, 02:52:14 PMWhich part did you find interesting?

The very last part, where he said "If Daniel Jones is under center, you can guarantee his teammates and coaches are going to do everything in their power to make him successful."

I thought that was pretty cool.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: sxdxca38 on March 15, 2024, 03:05:03 PMThe very last part, where he said "If Daniel Jones is under center, you can guarantee his teammates and coaches are going to do everything in their power to make him successful."

I thought that was pretty cool.

It sounds cool, but hasn't the whole narrative on Jones been that his coaches and front office have done the exact opposite of that? I thought that was the explanation for why he has been so bad.

So how can it be a guarantee that the exact opposite will now happen? Kind of doesn't make sense, if you ask me.

Jolly Blue Giant

Banks is about a straight shooter as they come...a great Giant, extremely knowledgeable and an excellent spokesman for the team. Like EF Hutton, "when he talks, people listen" LOL
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 15, 2024, 03:12:04 PMBanks is about a straight shooter as they come...a great Giant, extremely knowledgeable and an excellent spokesman for the team. Like EF Hutton, "when he talks, people listen" LOL

You would think that was the case, but from what I have seen many fans will ignore him when he says what they don't want to hear.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 15, 2024, 03:12:04 PMIt sounds cool, but hasn't the whole narrative on Jones been that his coaches and front office have done the exact opposite of that? I thought that was the explanation for why he has been so bad.

So how can it be a guarantee that the exact opposite will now happen? Kind of doesn't make sense, if you ask me.

In fairness, "front office" is something you added to create a sort of strawman claim.  If one is completely fair, it's not hard to see that the Giants could be used as a textbook example of a team failing in every way possible to develop a talented QB they drafted.  From multiple coaching and scheme changes to failure to provide weapons for DJ to throw to, to failing year after year to provide even average NFL pass blocking, they made it nearly impossible for DJ to develop and thrive.

Worse, the blocking failures led to a very foreseeable injury problem, which is now pretty much prematurely ending DJ's career.

That's the reality of the situation to date.

To circle back to your question, expecting the current coaching staff and players to rally around and support DJ if he is still the starting QB is not only more than believable/understandable, but if you really drill down Carl Banks was subtle in pushing a portion of the fan base that has done nothing but bash Jones for 5 seasons, to try and be a bit more supportive.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Personally, I didn't think Banks' comments about Jones having the team's support was surprising or interesting. I believe he's always had that with his many coaching staffs.

What I found interesting is that Banks openly said that Jones could be mentally shot. Many of us have already said that here but to hear Banks say Jones could mentally be damaged goods was a little surprising.

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on March 15, 2024, 03:45:01 PMPersonally, I didn't think Banks' comments about Jones having the team's support was surprising or interesting. I believe he's always had that with his many coaching staffs.

What I found interesting is that Banks openly said that Jones could be mentally shot. Many of us have already said that here but to hear Banks say Jones could mentally be damaged goods was a little surprising.

It kind of makes one wonder why Daboll kept DJ in for the entire miserable opening game, where the throwing conditions were horrible, the game got out of hand, and the beating DJ took was unbelievable.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 15, 2024, 03:50:29 PMIt kind of makes one wonder why Daboll kept DJ in for the entire miserable opening game, where the throwing conditions were horrible, the game got out of hand, and the beating DJ took was unbelievable.
I've got 82 million reasons why he left him in, plus an opportunity to erase that goose egg. Horrible way to show he's worth that new contract.

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on March 15, 2024, 03:54:42 PMI've got 82 million reasons why he left him in, plus an opportunity to erase that goose egg. Horrible way to show he's worth that new contract.

If you bought an exotic sports car for $100K plus, would you beat the crap out of it because it was expensive, or would you take care of it because it was expensive?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 15, 2024, 03:56:55 PMIf you bought an exotic sports car for $100K plus, would you beat the crap out of it because it was expensive, or would you take care of it because it was expensive?
I get your point but horrible analogy.

To Banks' point, I think Jones' mental stability are far more important than his physical.

sxdxca38

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 15, 2024, 03:12:04 PMIt sounds cool, but hasn't the whole narrative on Jones been that his coaches and front office have done the exact opposite of that? I thought that was the explanation for why he has been so bad.

Hi Dave,

Because in 2022 they changed things for Daniel, and helped him, and he put up something like a 93.0 rating which was ranked 13th.

And a 60.0 QBR which was ranked 6th I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong?

So just to be fair it hasn't been all bad, would you agree?

And if he's done it in the past, it is possible he can do it again.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: sxdxca38 on March 15, 2024, 06:33:52 PMHi Dave,

Because in 2022 they changed things for Daniel, and helped him, and he put up something like a 93.0 rating which was ranked 13th.

And a 60.0 QBR which was ranked 6th I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong?

So just to be fair it hasn't been all bad, would you agree?

And if he's done it in the past, it is possible he can do it again.

I suppose anything is possible in theory, but "guarantee" is probably not the word I'd select for anything pertaining to this topic after what we saw last year.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 15, 2024, 03:50:29 PMIt kind of makes one wonder why Daboll kept DJ in for the entire miserable opening game, where the throwing conditions were horrible, the game got out of hand, and the beating DJ took was unbelievable.

My wonderment is why Daboll ran a training camp that left the team completely unready to compete in the opening game.  My theory is that he saw how unequipped the Giants training and medical staffs were to keep players healthy and so he, in essence, wrapped up the key players in bubble wrap, like the kid in Little Giants.

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll