News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Could four QBs be gone after the first five picks?

Started by DaveBrown74, March 16, 2024, 10:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

I wouldn't have thought this a month ago, but given some of the buzz out there and given what the Vikings have done, I'm starting to seriously wonder.

If the Giants' plan was that they're comfortable taking any of the big four QBs at 6th, and that they'll just take whichever once makes it to them, do they need to rethink this?

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 16, 2024, 10:54:59 AMI wouldn't have thought this a month ago, but given some of the buzz out there and given what the Vikings have done, I'm starting to seriously wonder.

If the Giants' plan was that they're comfortable taking any of the big four QBs at 6th, and that they'll just take whichever once makes it to them, do they need to rethink this?

I think the "comfortable taking any of the big four" is a bad assumption if anyone is assuming it.  What team ever has four players at one position by a certain draft pick?

Every team weighs attributes differently and every player has different amounts of each attribute. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on March 16, 2024, 11:05:58 AMI think the "comfortable taking any of the big four" is a bad assumption if anyone is assuming it.  What team ever has four players at one position by a certain draft pick?

Every team weighs attributes differently and every player has different amounts of each attribute. 

Ok, I'll put it a different way.

If they thought the initial "big three" would be gone in the first three picks, and their plan was to take McCarthy 6th overall, is it still a safe assumption that they'll be able to do that? The Vikings seem to have plans of moving up, and I doubt they're moving up from 11 to draft Nix or Penix.

brownelvis54

Anything is possible Dave, assuming the first three picks are quarterbacks, and the Vikings wanna move up to grab a fourth one they need to find a willing trading partner

Arizona would be in prime position to get Marvin Harrison Junior that would be a great weapon for Maury would they trade out if Harrison is just sitting there? Next is the Chargers at five and Harbaugh could get a very good weapon for his quarterback at five would he be willing to trade back? I thought I read somewhere that the Vikings really had a thing for Pinnix...... if they stay where they are at number 11 I strongly believe Pinnix will be there.... In fact, it would not surprise me if he was there at 23 where they pick also... Vikings could keep both their pics get Pinnix and get the best player available with the following pic
The KING is in the building

uconnjack8

I think the Vikings are planning on moving up, just have no idea which QB they covet.

They lost Cousins and the QB room isnt exactly star-studded.  I think it would almost be job-suicide to not have a plan to either sign a somewhat respected vet (not sure who is even out there) or draft someone.

Are they really going to have Darnold or Mullens throwing to Jefferson?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 16, 2024, 11:44:28 AMI think the Vikings are planning on up, just have no idea which QB they covet.

They lost Cousins and the QB room isnt exactly star-studded.  I think it would almost be job-suicide to not have a plan to either sign a somewhat respected vet (not sure who is even out there) or draft someone.

Are they really going to have Darnold or Mullens throwing to Jefferson?

I agree, but who will their trading partner be? And if it's someone who picks before we do, shouldn't we be talking to that team ourselves?

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 16, 2024, 11:47:51 AMI agree, but who will their trading partner be? And if it's someone who picks before we do, shouldn't we be talking to that team ourselves?

I would guess the Giants have already talked to teams in front of them.  What I wonder about is how the Giants FO stack up the QBs.  Assuming the 1st 3 picks are QBs, who is left and how do they feel about that QB?  If the odd man out is not a guy they love I expect they stay put.  If it is, I wonder how much it takes to move to 4. 

The Chargers and Cardinals definitely have positions of need with players ranked where they are drafting (WR).  Would Harbaugh be willing to move 11 to pick up an extra 1st rounder, or would he rather trade back 1 spot where he knows one of those top WRs will still be there?

AZ and SD both were not good teams and an extra 1st might be enticing because like the Giants they have a lot of holes fill.

I am of the opinion that the top 3 will be QBs and it would take a crazy Ricky Williamsesque deal to move them off of those slots.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 16, 2024, 11:56:44 AMI would guess the Giants have already talked to teams in front of them.  What I wonder about is how the Giants FO stack up the QBs.  Assuming the 1st 3 picks are QBs, who is left and how do they feel about that QB?  If the odd man out is not a guy they love I expect they stay put.  If it is, I wonder how much it takes to move to 4. 

The Chargers and Cardinals definitely have positions of need with players ranked where they are drafting (WR).  Would Harbaugh be willing to move 11 to pick up an extra 1st rounder, or would he rather trade back 1 spot where he knows one of those top WRs will still be there?

AZ and SD both were not good teams and an extra 1st might be enticing because like the Giants they have a lot of holes fill.

I am of the opinion that the top 3 will be QBs and it would take a crazy Ricky Williamsesque deal to move them off of those slots.

Good points. The Chargers, having moved on from Keenan Allen and likely Mike Williams, are in desperate need of a top wide receiver. In his rookie season Quentin Johnston didn't look like he's going to be that guy. It would seem crazy to move out of the 5 spot to 11 if you want one of Harrison, Nabors, or Odunze.

The only thing I can think of is if Justin Jefferson is part of the deal. If the Chargers were getting Jefferson, 11, 23, and maybe some other pick for six, I could see them potentially looking at that.

brownelvis54

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 16, 2024, 11:47:51 AMI agree, but who will their trading partner be? And if it's someone who picks before we do, shouldn't we be talking to that team ourselves?

Thats exactly what I said. Interesting question: If Arizona and Chargers don't want to trade, would you want the Giants to do it?
The KING is in the building

londonblue

We won't compete until we have a solution at QB but reaching and giving up assets to draft QB4 who divides opinion and is certainly far from a sure thing arguably carries more risk than reward for a team with as many holes as us.

If JJ Mc is there at 6 and they like him so be it. If 4 QB go in top 5 leaving us our pick of Nabers and Odunze also so be it. If we trade aggressively to move up to eg 3 to get the QB we have rated behind only Caleb then, again, so be it.

It cannot be any QB at any price just to say we tried. That is the type of poor decision-making that has plagued our decade of irrelevance.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.